Rising Prevalence of Allergic Reactions to Propel Global Food Allergy Diagnostics & Therapeutics Market
- Food allergy is a type of immune response to food, which may range from mild to severe in intensity. Food allergies are classified into three key types: IgE-mediated food allergy, non-IgE-mediated food allergy, and mixed IgE & non-IgE-mediated food allergy.
- As per the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America, approximately 26 million adults (i.e. 10.8%) in the U.S. have food allergies and 5.6 million of children (i.e. 7.6%) suffer from a kind of food allergy. According to LEAPSMAG, the number of emergency room visits for chronic conditions of allergic reactions or anaphylaxis in the U.S. nearly doubled from 2010 to 2016. In the U.S., about 90% of allergic reactions arise from the following eight foods: milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, soy, wheat, fish, and shellfish.
Are you a Start-up willing to make it big in the Business? Grab an Exclusive PDF Brochure of Food Allergy Diagnostics & Therapeutics Market Report
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Food Allergy Diagnostics & Therapeutics Market
- Increasing prevalence of food allergy across the globe is boosting the global market for food allergy diagnostics & therapeutics. According to data published by World Allergy Organization in 2017, the rate of prevalence of peanut allergy among children in the U.K., North America, and Australia has doubled over the last 10 years and it is approximately 1.8%, 1.4%, and 3.0%, respectively, in these countries.
- Technological advancements and increase in the number of R&D initiatives taken by various pharmaceutical companies also fuel the global market. In September 2019, Aimmune Therapeutics, Inc. announced that the Allergenic Products Advisory Committee (APAC) convened by the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) had voted to support the use of AR101 (proposed trade name: PALFORZIA) in children and teens with peanut allergy. With the help of epinephrine auto-injector, which is a type of auto-injector used for the treatment of peanut allergy or allergy to bee sting, these allergies can be easily treated.
- However, high costs of a few drugs such as EpiPen (which is USD 630) make these drugs unaffordable for people in low-income countries
Therapeutic Segment to Witness Significant Growth
- Based on product type, the global food allergy diagnostics & therapeutics market can be divided into 2D diagnostics and therapeutics
- The therapeutic segment dominated the global market, in terms of revenue, in 2018. Rising awareness among patients about various modalities of managing food allergy boosts the therapeutic segment. This segment can be sub-segmented into antihistamines, epinephrine auto-injector, and others.
- On the other hand, the diagnosis segment can be sub-segmented into ImmunoCAP test, skin prick food allergy test, and others
Peanuts to Witness High Demand
- In terms of source, the global food allergy diagnostics & therapeutics market can be categorized into eggs, milk, peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, wheat, soy, and others
- Peanuts including almonds, cashews, and walnuts is one of the most common sources of food allergy. Allergy to cow’s milk is the most common food allergy among infants and young children. As per the data published in Intellisphere, LLC in 2018, around 1.25 million people or 2.2% of all children and adults suffered from peanut allergy.
- As per the JAMA Network Open journal, approximately 23.8 million adults were affected by shellfish, milk, peanut, tree nut, and fin fish allergy in the U.S. in 2019
Diagnostic Laboratories Segment to Witness Significant Growth
- Based on end-user, the global food allergy diagnostics & therapeutics market can be divided into academic research institutes, hospitals & clinics, and diagnostics laboratories
- The hospitals & clinics segment is expected to hold the maximum share of the global market between 2019 and 2027. Rising prevalence of allergy along with increasing number of hospitalization cases is estimated to boost the segment.
- The diagnostic laboratories segment is expected to expand at the maximum CAGR during the forecast period, due to extensive usage of allergy diagnostic kits in disease diagnosis. Increasing number of diagnostic centers is also fueling the segment.
Expanding Operations in Future? To Get the Perfect Launch Ask for a Custom Food Allergy Diagnostics & Therapeutics Market Report
North America to Dominate Global Food Allergy Diagnostics & Therapeutics Market
- In terms of region, the global food allergy diagnostics & therapeutics market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- In terms of revenue, North America dominated the global food allergy diagnostics & therapeutics market, followed by Europe, in 2018. Researchers estimate that 32 million people in the U.S. suffer from food allergies, including 5.6 million children aged 18 years or below. As per the Food Allergy Research & Education, about 40% children in the country are suffering from allergies from more than one food. According to European Academy of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, more than 17 million people in Europe suffer from food allergy, among which 3.5 million people are aged below 25 years.
- However, the food allergy diagnostics & therapeutics market in Asia Pacific is expected to expand at a rapid CAGR during the forecast period, owing to the increasing prevalence of food allergy along with government support for production of new biologics in the region. Investments by various companies to expand their presence as well as product portfolios also boost the market in the region.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Market
The global food allergy diagnostics & therapeutics market was highly fragmented in 2018. Key manufacturers operating in the global market are:
- Allergy Therapeutics
- Immunomic Therapeutics, Inc.
- bioMérieux SA
- Omega Diagnostics Group PLC
- Hycor Biomedical, Inc.
- Prota Therapeutics Pty Ltd
- Intertek Group PLC
- TUV SUD
- Merieux Nutrisciences Corporation
- Eurofins Scientific
- Symbio Laboratories
- ALS Limited
- Intertek Group PLC
- Romer Labs Diagnostic GmbH
- Asurequality Ltd
- HAL Allergy B.V.
Global Food Allergy Diagnostics & Therapeutics Market: Research Scope
Global Food Allergy Diagnostics & Therapeutics Market, by Product Type
- ImmunoCAP test
- Skin Prick Food Allergy Test
- Therapeutic Treatment
- Epinephrine Auto-injector
Global Food Allergy Diagnostics & Therapeutics Market, by Sources
- Tree Nuts
Global Food Allergy Diagnostics & Therapeutics Market, by End-user
- Academic Research Institutes
- Hospitals & Clinics
- Diagnostics Laboratories
Global Food Allergy Diagnostics & Therapeutics Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.