Rising Prevalence of Allergic Reactions to Propel Global Food Allergy Diagnostics & Therapeutics Market
- Food allergy is a type of immune response to food, which may range from mild to severe in intensity. Food allergies are classified into three key types: IgE-mediated food allergy, non-IgE-mediated food allergy, and mixed IgE & non-IgE-mediated food allergy.
- As per the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America, approximately 26 million adults (i.e. 10.8%) in the U.S. have food allergies and 5.6 million of children (i.e. 7.6%) suffer from a kind of food allergy. According to LEAPSMAG, the number of emergency room visits for chronic conditions of allergic reactions or anaphylaxis in the U.S. nearly doubled from 2010 to 2016. In the U.S., about 90% of allergic reactions arise from the following eight foods: milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, soy, wheat, fish, and shellfish.
Are you a Start-up willing to make it big in the Business? Grab an Exclusive PDF Brochure of Food Allergy Diagnostics & Therapeutics Market Report
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Food Allergy Diagnostics & Therapeutics Market
- Increasing prevalence of food allergy across the globe is boosting the global market for food allergy diagnostics & therapeutics. According to data published by World Allergy Organization in 2017, the rate of prevalence of peanut allergy among children in the U.K., North America, and Australia has doubled over the last 10 years and it is approximately 1.8%, 1.4%, and 3.0%, respectively, in these countries.
- Technological advancements and increase in the number of R&D initiatives taken by various pharmaceutical companies also fuel the global market. In September 2019, Aimmune Therapeutics, Inc. announced that the Allergenic Products Advisory Committee (APAC) convened by the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) had voted to support the use of AR101 (proposed trade name: PALFORZIA) in children and teens with peanut allergy. With the help of epinephrine auto-injector, which is a type of auto-injector used for the treatment of peanut allergy or allergy to bee sting, these allergies can be easily treated.
- However, high costs of a few drugs such as EpiPen (which is USD 630) make these drugs unaffordable for people in low-income countries
Therapeutic Segment to Witness Significant Growth
- Based on product type, the global food allergy diagnostics & therapeutics market can be divided into 2D diagnostics and therapeutics
- The therapeutic segment dominated the global market, in terms of revenue, in 2018. Rising awareness among patients about various modalities of managing food allergy boosts the therapeutic segment. This segment can be sub-segmented into antihistamines, epinephrine auto-injector, and others.
- On the other hand, the diagnosis segment can be sub-segmented into ImmunoCAP test, skin prick food allergy test, and others
Peanuts to Witness High Demand
- In terms of source, the global food allergy diagnostics & therapeutics market can be categorized into eggs, milk, peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, wheat, soy, and others
- Peanuts including almonds, cashews, and walnuts is one of the most common sources of food allergy. Allergy to cow’s milk is the most common food allergy among infants and young children. As per the data published in Intellisphere, LLC in 2018, around 1.25 million people or 2.2% of all children and adults suffered from peanut allergy.
- As per the JAMA Network Open journal, approximately 23.8 million adults were affected by shellfish, milk, peanut, tree nut, and fin fish allergy in the U.S. in 2019
Diagnostic Laboratories Segment to Witness Significant Growth
- Based on end-user, the global food allergy diagnostics & therapeutics market can be divided into academic research institutes, hospitals & clinics, and diagnostics laboratories
- The hospitals & clinics segment is expected to hold the maximum share of the global market between 2019 and 2027. Rising prevalence of allergy along with increasing number of hospitalization cases is estimated to boost the segment.
- The diagnostic laboratories segment is expected to expand at the maximum CAGR during the forecast period, due to extensive usage of allergy diagnostic kits in disease diagnosis. Increasing number of diagnostic centers is also fueling the segment.
Expanding Operations in Future? To Get the Perfect Launch Ask for a Custom Food Allergy Diagnostics & Therapeutics Market Report
North America to Dominate Global Food Allergy Diagnostics & Therapeutics Market
- In terms of region, the global food allergy diagnostics & therapeutics market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- In terms of revenue, North America dominated the global food allergy diagnostics & therapeutics market, followed by Europe, in 2018. Researchers estimate that 32 million people in the U.S. suffer from food allergies, including 5.6 million children aged 18 years or below. As per the Food Allergy Research & Education, about 40% children in the country are suffering from allergies from more than one food. According to European Academy of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, more than 17 million people in Europe suffer from food allergy, among which 3.5 million people are aged below 25 years.
- However, the food allergy diagnostics & therapeutics market in Asia Pacific is expected to expand at a rapid CAGR during the forecast period, owing to the increasing prevalence of food allergy along with government support for production of new biologics in the region. Investments by various companies to expand their presence as well as product portfolios also boost the market in the region.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Market
The global food allergy diagnostics & therapeutics market was highly fragmented in 2018. Key manufacturers operating in the global market are:
- Allergy Therapeutics
- Immunomic Therapeutics, Inc.
- bioMérieux SA
- Omega Diagnostics Group PLC
- Hycor Biomedical, Inc.
- Prota Therapeutics Pty Ltd
- Intertek Group PLC
- TUV SUD
- Merieux Nutrisciences Corporation
- Eurofins Scientific
- Symbio Laboratories
- ALS Limited
- Intertek Group PLC
- Romer Labs Diagnostic GmbH
- Asurequality Ltd
- HAL Allergy B.V.
Global Food Allergy Diagnostics & Therapeutics Market: Research Scope
Global Food Allergy Diagnostics & Therapeutics Market, by Product Type
- ImmunoCAP test
- Skin Prick Food Allergy Test
- Therapeutic Treatment
- Epinephrine Auto-injector
Global Food Allergy Diagnostics & Therapeutics Market, by Sources
- Tree Nuts
Global Food Allergy Diagnostics & Therapeutics Market, by End-user
- Academic Research Institutes
- Hospitals & Clinics
- Diagnostics Laboratories
Global Food Allergy Diagnostics & Therapeutics Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa.
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.