Fentanyl Transdermal Patches Market: Overview
- Fentanyl transdermal patches are used for administration in opioid-tolerant patients with severe, persistent, and moderate to severe chronic pain. These patches are utilized when an opioid analgesic is needed to be used for an extended period of time.
- Fentanyl is known to be a strong opioid agent and is considered to be 100 times more potent in comparison to morphine. Commercially, this agent is available either as a patch or a transdermal therapeutic system (TTS) that tends to supply drugs to the skin surface, and offers continuous drug delivery to body circulation for a number of days.
- In 1960, Fentanyl was first manufactured by Paul Janssen. It was approved for medical usage in the United States in the year 1968. Around the globe, it was estimated that in 2015, over 1,600 kilograms were used in health care.
- The global fentanyl transdermal patches market is projected to expand at a significant pace during the forecast period. The growth of fentanyl transdermal patches market is expected to be driven by increase in prevalence of chronic pain, cancer pain, rise in prescription rate for fentanyl patches, and high demand for OTC non-opioid or pain medicines.
To understand how our report can bring difference to your business strategy, Ask for a brochure
Key Drivers of Global Fentanyl Transdermal Patches Market
- The global fentanyl transdermal patches market is driven by rise in patient population experiencing chronic pain, cancer pain, increased demand for OTC patches, and low prices, owing to patent expiration for innovative transdermal patches
- Large number of players in the fentanyl transdermal patches market are investing in the development of improved sand materials for transdermal patches. For instance, in August 2015, Sparsha Pharma International Pvt. Ltd., a Hyderabad-based transdermal patch maker, launched the generic version of the fentanyl patch, a synthetic narcotic drug delivered through an adhesive patch attached to the skin, in the U.S. Sparsha Pharma invested around US$ 7 Mn to build a transdermal drug delivery development and manufacturing facility in Hyderabad, of which, US$ 4 Mn were raised from Japan-based transdermal patch maker, Teikoku Pharma.
- Increase in geriatric population is likely to propel the incidence rate of chronic diseases, such as diabetes, cancer, and bone-related disorders, as elderly people are at a greater risk of these diseases. Moreover, growth in patient pool is expected to drive the demand for transdermal pain management drugs as a treatment option against these diseases.
North America to Hold Major Share of Global Fentanyl Transdermal Patches Market
- North America is projected to account for a prominent share of the global fentanyl transdermal patches market during the forecast period
- Use of transdermal drug delivery system has increased for pain management of certain conditions, such as cancer. Transdermal patches can deliver pain management drugs at a predetermined rate across the dermis to achieve either a local or a systemic effect.
- Rise in prevalence of cancer is likely to drive the adoption of transdermal pain management drugs for the treatment of chronic pain
- According to the American Cancer Society, in 2019, 1,762,450 new cancer cases were diagnosed in the U.S.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report
Key Players Operating in Global Fentanyl Transdermal Patches Market
Major players operating in the global fentanyl transdermal patches market are:
- Hisamitsu Pharmaceutical Co., Inc.
- Icure PHARM. INC.
- Mylan N.V.
- Novartis AG
Global Fentanyl Transdermal Patches Market: Research Scope
Global Fentanyl Transdermal Patches Market, by Indication
- Musculoskeletal Pain
- Auto-immune Disease
- Post-operative Pain
- Cancer Pain
Global Fentanyl Transdermal Patches Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.