Failed Back Surgery Syndrome (FBSS): Introduction
- Failed back surgery syndrome (FBSS) is a medical condition characterized by persistent pain or new pain after spinal surgery for back or leg pain
- FBSS can be described as persistent or recurring pain after spinal surgery. A patient who has undergone spinal surgery could experience pain immediately after surgery or it may take months. The pain could get chronic over a period and the patient may feel that the pain symptoms never got better or perhaps it even got worse than before surgery.
- Several factors contribute to FBSS such as poor selection for surgery, unnecessary surgery, improper or inadequate surgery, and misdiagnosis of underlying medical conditions
- Low back pain is one of the leading causes of morbidity and disability across the globe and its global incidence rate is 9.4%.
- FBSS has become a major challenge for spinal physicians and surgeons associated with treatment of spinal disorders across the globe
- A multidisciplinary approach is most appropriate for relieving the symptoms of FBSS. Treatment for FBSS includes usage of anticonvulsant drugs, neuromodulation devices, physical therapy, behavioral modification, radiofrequency ablation, lysis of postoperative adhesion, and even reoperation.
Are you a Start-up willing to make it big in the Business? Grab an Exclusive PDF Brochure of Failed Back Surgery Syndrome (FBSS) Treatment Devices Market Report
Global Failed Back Surgery Syndrome (FBSS) Treatment Devices Market: Key Drivers
- Expanding indications for spinal surgery, high prevalence of low back pain, and rapidly aging population across the globe are the major factors driving the global FBSS treatment devices market
- For instance, 60% to 80% of the global population experiences low back pain once in the lifetime. Around 10% of the individuals suffering from low back pain have symptoms that persist for more than three months.
- Increase in the geriatric population, which is more prone to low back pain and other spinal cord related injuries and or disorders, is a prominent factor projected to boost the growth of the global market during the forecast period
- New product development, technological advancements in the implantable neurostimulation devices, new entrants with promising outcomes, and increased access to health care in developing countries are anticipated to drive the global market in the near future
- However, high cost of devices and high cost of postoperative pain management treatment are expected to restrain the global market
Spinal Cord Stimulators Segment to Dominate Global Market
- In terms of product, the global FBSS treatment devices market can be classified into spinal cord stimulators, neuroablation devices, and others. The spinal cord stimulators segment is projected to dominate the global market during the forecast period.
- Spinal cord stimulators are implantable medical devices most commonly used for management of chronic pain and in cases where other treatment options have failed to relieve pain. Spinal cord stimulator blocks the transmission of pain signals via electrical stimulation. Spinal cord stimulators are becoming increasingly popular among physicians and patients owing to high efficacy over other treatment devices.
- The neuroablation devices segment is anticipated to grow at a rapid pace during the forecast period
Expanding Operations in Future? To Get the Perfect Launch Ask for a Custom Failed Back Surgery Syndrome (FBSS) Treatment Devices Market Report
Hospitals to be Highly Attractive Segment
- Based on end-user, the global FBSS treatment devices market can be bifurcated into hospitals and ambulatory surgery centers. The hospitals segment is expected to dominate the global market during the forecast period.
- Large number of surgical procedures performed at hospitals and increase in number of new hospitals in emerging countries such as Brazil, Mexico, India, and China are attributed to the segment’s dominant share during the forecast period.
Asia Pacific FBSS Treatment Devices Market to Expand Rapidly
- In terms of region, the global FBSS treatment devices market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America is likely to dominate the global market during the forecast period. High prevalence of low back pain, well-established health care facilities, and rapidly increasing geriatric population are projected to contribute to the region’s dominant market share during the forecast period.
- Around 80% of the population of the U.S. experiences back pain at some point in their lifetime. Around 7 million people in the country are affected by disability or partial disability due to chronic low back pain.
- The FBSS treatment devices market in Asia Pacific is anticipated to expand at the highest CAGR during the forecast period. Rapid growth of the market in the region is attributed to increase in number of hospitals and ambulatory surgery centers, improving health care infrastructure, and rise in population with spinal and orthopedic disorders in China and India.
- High growth rate of the health care industry, easy access to health care facilities, and increase in investments in health care by leading players in Asia Pacific are expected to fuel the growth of the market in Asia Pacific
Key Players Operating in Global Failed Back Surgery Syndrome (FBSS) Treatment Devices Market
- The global failed back surgery syndrome (FBSS) treatment devices market is highly consolidated, with small number of domestic players holding majority market share. Key players operating in the global failed back surgery syndrome treatment devices market are:
- Boston Scientific Corporation
- Medtronic plc
- Stryker Corporation
- Johnson & Johnson
- Avanos Medical Devices
- Abbott Laboratories
- Cosman Medical
- AngioDynamics, Inc.
- Other Prominent Players
Global Failed Back Surgery Syndrome (FBSS) Treatment Devices Market: Research Scope
Global Failed Back Surgery Syndrome (FBSS) Treatment Devices Market, by Product
- Spinal Cord Stimulators
- Radiofrequency Ablation Devices
Global Failed Back Surgery Syndrome (FBSS) Treatment Devices Market, by End-user
- Ambulatory Surgery Centers
Global Failed Back Surgery Syndrome Treatment Devices Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.