External Counterpulsation (ECP) Devices Market: Introduction
- External counterpulsation is a non-invasive and medically proven treatment recommended for patients with angina or congestive heart failure condition. External counterpulsation is primarily preferred by patients to relieve discomfort and who are unresponsive to other treatments. External counterpulsation improves the circulation to the heart muscle, minimizes the heart workload, and boosts the flow of oxygen rich blood to the heart. External counterpulsation facilitates the blood flow to the heart muscle by expanding network and creating new pathways around blocked arteries.
- Patients suffering from severe angina, not considered for angioplasty or bypass surgery, are likely to benefit from external counterpulsation therapy. Enhanced external counterpulsation (EECP) and external counterpulsation are similar procedures, but differ in design. The EECP is an advanced and enhanced way of providing counterpulsation treatment to patients.
- Devices used for external counterpulsation comprise a series of three compressive air cuffs and are inflated or deflated in synchronization as per patient's cardiac cycle through microprocessor-interpreted ECG signals. These microprocessor-interpreted ECG signals are wrapped around each leg, calf, and above knee and thigh. Diastole of air cuffs are inflated consecutively, which compresses the vascular beds and this action results in increase in the diastolic pressure leading to increase in the arterial blood flow.
Key Drivers, Restraints, and Opportunities of Global External Counterpulsation (ECP) Devices Market
- Rise in prevalence of coronary artery diseases, increase in incidence of atherosclerosis in coronary artery patients, and surge in angina episodes in patients are projected to drive the global external counterpulsation devices market during the forecast period. According to research, 18% of the coronary artery disease precedes angina. Moreover, rise in adoption of external counterpulsation devices for management of angina are anticipated to propel the global external counterpulsation (ECP) devices market in the next few years. The incidence of atherosclerosis is most common in patients above 40 and nearly 50% of the people at this age are likely to develop serious atherosclerosis condition.
- The Food & Drug Administration (USFDA) approval for treatment of various cardiac conditions, presence of prominent players offering external counterpulsation devices, technological advancements, and adoption of innovative devices are expected to boost the growth of the global external counterpulsation (ECP) devices market.
North America to dominate Global External Counterpulsation (ECP) Devices Market
- North America is likely to account for significant share of the global external counterpulsation (ECP) devices market owing to technological advancements, rise in prevalence of angina, surge in burden of patients suffering from symptomatic coronary artery disease resulting in the refractory angina condition, guidelines for the management of refractory angina, and rise in awareness about external counterpulsation treatment. In the U.S., around 6.4 million patients suffer from coronary artery disease, with annual incidence estimated to be around 40,000. According to research, in 2018, nearly 9.8 million people in the U.S. experienced angina, with around 500,000 new cases of angina recorded every year. These factors are projected to boost the external counterpulsation devices market in North America during the forecast period.
- The external counterpulsation (ECP) devices market in Asia Pacific is anticipated to grow at a faster pace, owing to increase in patient population suffering from angina, rise in prevalence of coronary artery disease, and robust distribution network across countries in Asia Pacific. Awareness and adoption of enhanced external counterpulsation, technological advancements, improved automation software, and ongoing studies suggesting improvement in 73% of coronary disease patients with angina.
Key Companies in Global External Counterpulsation (ECP) Devices Market
- Applied Cardiac Systems, Inc. (ACS)
- Cardiomedics, Inc.
- Vasomedical, Inc.
- Advanced Life Sciences Pvt. Ltd.
- Teleflex Incorporated
- Jarvik Heart, Inc.
- Biotronik SE & Co., KG
- St. Jude Medical, Inc.
- Other prominent players
Global External Counterpulsation (ECP) Devices Market, Research Scope
Global External Counterpulsation (ECP) Devices Market, by Type
- Adult ECP Device
- Pediatric ECP Device
Global External Counterpulsation (ECP) Devices Market, by Indication Type
- Stable Angina
- Unstable Angina
- Microvascular Angina
- Variant Angina
Global External Counterpulsation (ECP) Devices Market, by End-user
- Cardiac Centers/Clinics
- Ambulatory Surgical Centers
Global External Counterpulsation (ECP) Devices Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!