Electrotherapy Devices Market: Introduction
- Electrotherapy uses electric impulses and offers a range of treatment to reduce pain by relaxing muscles, improving blood circulation, repairing tissues, and promoting bone growth. The adoption of physiotherapy in the treatment of various ailments has boosted the demand for electrotherapy globally.
- Different modalities of electrotherapy include electrical, sound, light, or thermal, which are used to reduce pain and improve body functions. For instance, therapeutic ultrasound, low?level laser therapy (LLLT), transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS), and pulsed electromagnetic field therapy (PEMF) are different modalities for physical therapy intervention.
To Know More about TMRs Unique Offerings for Electrotherapy Devices Market, Request a Brochure here
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Electrotherapy Devices Market
- Rise in incidences of spinal injuries and lower back pain is boosting the global electrotherapy devices market growth. According to the National Institutes of Health, approximately 80% of adults experience lower back pain at some point of their lifetime. The number of people experiencing lower back pain is increasing.
- Approximately 29.5% of the U.S. citizens aged 65 and above experienced lower back pain in 1997. This number increased to 33.7% in 2013.
- As per as article published on back pain statistics in 2018, 80% of Americans experience upper or lower back pain during their lifetime.
- Each year, in the U.S., out of 30 million children and adolescents who participate in some form of sports, 3.5 million experience injuries.
- As per the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC), since 2000, there has been a five-fold increase in the number of serious shoulder and elbow injuries among youth baseball and softball players. Rise in the number of sports related injuries is fueling market growth, as electrotherapy devices are used for muscle relaxation, to increase blood circulation, and manage chronic and intractable pain.
- Limited market growth is witnessed in underdeveloped and a few developing countries due to lack of awareness about the device and the treatment
- Major companies operating in the electrotherapy devices market are focusing on expanding their presence in the Asia Pacific region due to its high growth potential
- According to the U.S. National Academy of Sciences (NAS), US$ 500 billion direct medical cost is associated with chronic pain management
High Frequency Segment to Witness Rise in Demand
- Based on product type, the global electrotherapy devices market can be divided into low frequency, mid frequency, and high frequency
- In electrotherapy, applied energy is the main source to start physiological events to achieve therapeutic benefits for pain relief. Low frequency electrotherapy devices can be effectively applied to the contralateral side of the body.
- Traditional electrotherapy devices use relatively high frequency (80 Hz – 130Hz) with narrow pulses for the treatment
Pain Management Application Segment to Offer Significant Growth Potential
- On the basis of application, the global electrotherapy devices market can be divided into pain management, urine & fecal incontinence, sports injury treatment, tissue repair, iontophoresis, acute & chronic edema, wound healing, cosmetic, and others
- Electrotherapy is used to treat several types of chronic pain, including neck pain, lower back pain, and diabetic nerve pain, by blocking pain signal using a mild electric current
- Technological developments in the electrostimulation therapy for wound healing have exhibited promising treatment
- iTENS is an advanced Bluetooth-based wearable pain relief OTC device that combines TENS therapy using a medical device app
Looking for Customized Insights to build your Business for Future, Ask for a Custom Report here
Homecare Settings End-user Segment has Significant Growth Potential
- In terms of end user, the global electrotherapy devices market can be divided into rehabilitation centers, long-term care centers, specialty clinics, hospitals, homecare settings, and others
- Electrotherapy is one of the effective and safest ways to treat pain. Earlier, trained professionals were required to operate these devices. However, electrotherapy devices are now available for homecare settings due to technological advancements.
- Short-term pain relief programs are conducted by outpatient rehabilitation centers and care is delivered either in individual or group settings. The cost of these programs depends on the length of a program and its intensity. Usually, these programs cost US$ 13,000 to US$ 30,000, and include physical therapy, psychology, and physician charges.
North America to Dominate Global Market for Electrotherapy Devices
- In terms of region, the global electrotherapy devices market can be divided into: North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific is likely to witness the maximum demand for electrotherapy devices from 2019 to 2027. Major manufacturers of electrotherapy devices have been investing increasingly in the region due to rise in the adoption of electrotherapy systems by athletes and growth in the geriatric population, along with surge in the diabetic population.
- In 2018, Omron Healthcare, Inc. launched wireless, dual channel TENS device for multiple site pain treatment. It can be controlled using Omron’s new mobile app. With this development, a patient can operate the device remotely through the Bluetooth connectivity, thus restoring their freedom of movement while in treatment.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Market
The global electrotherapy devices market was highly fragmented in 2018. Key manufacturers operating in the global market are:
- Alimed, Inc
- Cogentix Medical, Inc.
- Zynex Medical
- Neurometrix Inc
- DJO Global Inc.
- Biomedical Srl
- Shenzhen XFT Medical Limited
- A.C.E.R. SRL
- Domino srl
- Eme srl
- Enraf-Nonius B.V.
- Omron Healthcare Inc.
Global Electrotherapy Devices Market: Research Scope
Global Electrotherapy Devices Market, by Product Type
- Low Frequency
- Mid Frequency
- High Frequency
Global Electrotherapy Devices Market, by Application
- Pain Management
- Urine & Fecal Incontinence
- Sports Injury Treatment
- Tissue Repair
- Acute & Chronic Edema
- Wound Healing
Global Electrotherapy Devices Market, by End-user
- Rehabilitation Centers
- Long-term care Centers
- Specialty Clinics
- Homecare Settings
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.