Electronic Grade Sulfuric Acid: Introduction
- Electronic grade sulfuric acid is specifically manufactured for its application in the electronics industry, particularly in printed circuit boards (PCBs), microchips, semiconductors, and photovoltaic
- Electronic grade sulfuric acid is a significant part of microelectronic chemical reagents. Consumption of electronic grade sulfuric acid accounted for about 30% of total ultra-pure reagents in 2017. It is primarily used in semiconductors and ultra-large scale integrated circuit assembly and processing. Electronic grade sulfuric acid is used in semiconductor processing to remove residual organic contamination prior to metallization steps.
- Sulfuric acid is jointly used with either hydrogen peroxide or ozonated ultra-pure water to create an intended exothermic reaction. The additional energy that emits from this reaction is ideal for removing hard-baked photoresists and most organic contaminants from the surface of silicon production wafers.
Recent Trends/Developments in Electronic Grade Sulfuric Acid Market
- In 2018, BASF SE started operations at its new manufacturing plant of electronic grade sulfuric acid in Jiaxing, China, to cater to the demand for electronic grade sulfuric acid in semiconductor manufacturing processes. The company started its expansion plan to double its production capacity owing to the strong demand from customers in China.
Key Drivers of Electronic Grade Sulfuric Acid Market
- The electronics market is divided into several sub-sectors such as automotive electronics, consumer, computer, defense, and telecommunication. PCBs are employed as basic components for products in these sectors. Demand and production of electronic devices in Asia Pacific has been increasing at a rapid pace compared to that in North America and Europe. China has established itself as a prominent exporter of electronics products globally, surpassing the U.S. in 2005. Lower production cost and inexpensive labor are competitive advantages that boost the electronics industry in China. According to an article by the World Economic Forum, 90% of the world’s electronics are produced in the Shenzhen province of China. The electronics industry in Vietnam is also expanding significantly owing to trade liberalization, corporate tax reduction, labor quality improvement, and government reforms. Electronic grade sulfuric acid is primarily used in the electronics industry for cleaning and etching applications of semiconductors and PCBs. It is mainly used to clean silicon wafers during semiconductor manufacturing. Growth in the electronics industry in Asia Pacific is boosting the demand for electronic grade sulfuric in the region.
Key Restraint of Electronic Grade Sulfuric Acid Market
- Lack of production and technological expertise in production of electronic grade sulfuric acid in developing countries are the major restraints of the global electronic grade sulfuric acid market
Covid-19 Impact on Electronic Grade Sulfuric Acid Market
- The COVID-19 pandemic has severely impacted the end-use industries of electronic grade sulfuric acid. Electrical & electronics and automotive (automotive electronics) are among the worst-hit industries due to the pandemic. The industrial shutdown has also adversely impacted product and inventory transportation, as logistic services have been hampered due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
Asia Pacific to Hold Significant Share of Global Electronic Grade Sulfuric Acid Market
- In terms of region, the global electronic grade sulfuric acid market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- The electronic grade sulfuric acid market in Asia Pacific is anticipated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period owing to growth in the electronics manufacturing industry in countries such as China, India, and Vietnam. Lower manufacturing cost in China, Vietnam, and Malaysia is the primary factor driving the production of electronic grade sulfuric acid in these countries. Production of electronic grade sulfuric acid is estimated to increase in these countries during the forecast period owing to lower corporate taxes compared to that in other developing and developed countries.
- The market in Europe and North America is estimated to expand at a sluggish pace in the next few years, owing to higher manufacturing cost, while the market in Middle East & Africa and Latin America is driven by recent economic developments and rise in investments in the electronics industry
Key Players Operating in Global Market
Key players operating in the global electronic grade sulfuric acid market include:
- PVS Chemicals Belgium
- BASF SE
- Ineos Group Holdings S.A.
- KMG Chemicals
- Kanto Chemical Co. Inc.
- Trident Group
- Linde PLC
- PVS Chemicals Inc.
- Reagent Chemicals
- Moses Lake Industries
- Chung HWA Chemicals Industrial Works, Ltd.
- Jiangyin Jianghuamicro Electronics Material Co. Ltd.
- Sigma-Aldrich Co. LLC
Global Electronic Grade Sulfuric Acid Market: Research Scope
Global Electronic Grade Sulfuric Acid Market, by Application
- PCB Panels
- Industrial Chemicals
Global Electronic Grade Sulfuric Acid Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa