Electric sub-meter is a device that records and measures the use of electricity for each building unit and acts as an alternative to a single meter that measures the entire building's energy consumption. The electric sub-meter is connected downstream from the main utility meter and displays individual energy consumption of a multi-unit residential or commercial building. Such sub-meters enable building owners to charge unit owners or individual tenants for actual energy consumption, while allowing individual unit owners to take action to reduce overall energy consumption.
Electric Sub-meter Market – Competitive Landscape
The global electric sub-meter market includes large number of players. Some of the key players are Siemens AG, Leviton, Linyang Electronics, GE Digital Energy, Honeywell International, Elster Group, Studebaker Submetering Inc, LEM, Kamstrup,., Schneider Electric, Echelon, Nuri Telecom and Chintim Instruments Sub-meter Solutions.
- In May 2019, Honeywell International, a key player in electric sub-meter market, announced that it has been selected by the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) to provide its satellite communications system called JetWave™ for 70 C-17 aircraft under the Fixed Installation Satellite Antenna program.
- In April 2019, Siemens AG announced that it has developed a comprehensive concept for sustainable energy system, the first such concept that takes into account and brings together technology and areas of regulation and social engagement.
- In March 2019, Leviton introduced a new ‘Cable Management Clip’ that enables faster, neater, and more efficient management of category-rate cables. According to the company, the new clip not only saves time but also provides a simple way to manage individual cables on the rear of patch panels.
Established in 1847, Siemens AG is headquartered in Berlin, Germany, and operates in nearly all countries of the world. Main divisions of the company include Industry, Energy, Healthcare, and Infrastructure and cities. It offers a range of products and services on building technology, energy, drive technology, financing, industrial automation and mobility.
Jiangsu Linyang Energy Co., Ltd. (Linyang Electronics)
Founded in 1995, Jiangsu Linyang Energy Co., Ltd., a leading player in electric sub-meter market, is based in Qidong China and offers a range of energy measurement products. The company specializes in manufacturing and supply of electronic energy meters and electricity management information systems around the world.
Founded in 1836, Schneider Electric is headquartered in Rueil-Malmaison, France, and provides energy management and automation solution worldwide. Four mains businesses of the company includes Low Voltage, Medium Voltage, Secure Power, and Industrial Automation. Currently, it has a strategic partnership with the Carlyle Group to develop new and innovative infrastructure projects.
Studebaker Submetering Inc.
Established in 1999, Studebaker Submetering Inc. is based in Alexandria, Virginia and offers a range of electric meter products, water meter products, wireless communication systems, run time devices, and others. It mainly operates as a third party billion company that read meters, provides monthly bills to the residents, and collects monthly bills on behalf of the community.
LEM Holding SA
Founded in 1972, LEM Holding SA is headquartered in Fribourg, Switzerland and offers solutions for measuring electrical parameters in Switzerland, Germany, Italy, China, Japan, and the USA. The company operates through two segments, industry and automotive.
Electric Sub-meter Market - Dynamics
Electric Sub-meter Market Upheld by Growing Efforts to Reduce Electrical Usage
Growth of electric sub-meter market is primarily influenced by a notable rise in adoption of energy management solutions. The use of electric-sub meters in multi-unit buildings not only reduces additional operational costs but also provides numerous economic and environmental benefits to both building owners and tenants. Growing importance of controlling, reduction, and granular reporting of electrical usage among today's facility managers, especially in commercial as well as industrial sectors, has also led to surge in the adoption of electric sub-meters. Further, increasing stringency is regulations on energy management along with growing focus towards identifying important aspects for efficient use of electricity will be instrumental in accelerating the growth of electric sub-meter market.
Market Gains Underpinned by Mandatory Government Rules to Install Electric Sub-meters
Increasing efforts to develop strategies for efficient energy management across industrial and commercial spaces in tune with growing interest towards integration of sub-meters into cloud technology and big data software analytics to accurately analyze and control energy use, has been working to the advantage of electric sub-meter market. In addition, consumers are mandated to adhere to government rules to install sub-meters for transforming traditional energy infrastructure at the time of constructing a new structure or building, which in turn favors the expansion of electric sub-meter market. Further, growing popularity and advances in technologies such as Internet of Things (IoT) will augur well with the market growth. However, lack of awareness regarding the potential benefits of energy management may limit the adoption of electric sub-meters.
Electric Sub-meter Market - Segmentation
Based on type, the global electric sub-meter market can be bifurcated into:
- Non-socket/electronic Sub-meter
- Socket type/electromechanical Sub-meter
- Current Transformer
- Feed-through sub-meter
In terms of application, the global electric sub-meter market is classified into:
- Commercial Establishments
- Industrial Sector
- Residential Sector
The report on electric sub-meter market is a compilation of first-hand information, qualitative and quantitative assessment by industry analysts, inputs from industry experts and industry participants across the value chain. The electric sub-meter market report provides in-depth analysis of parent market trends, macroeconomic indicators and governing factors along with market attractiveness as per segments. The electric sub-meter market report also maps the qualitative impact of various market factors on market segments and geographies.
Regional analysis for Electric sub-meter market includes:
- North America
- Latin America
- Western Europe
- Eastern Europe
- Asia Pacific excluding Japan (APEJ)
- Middle East & Africa (MEA)
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.