Dulse, also known as palmaria palmate, is an edible red seaweed that grows in the coastal area of Pacific and the Atlantic Ocean. In recent years, dulse has gained traction in the market due to rising awareness about it being a rich protein source in animal feed. Dulse has been cultivated and consumed in Ireland as a health supplement for years now. Dulse is a rich source of vitamins and minerals and it contains all nutritive elements required by humans. In the European market, dulse is considered a super food and researchers have also stated that it is one of the fasted growing strains of seaweed across the globe. Fresh dulse can be consumed directly but many manufacturer offer it in flakes or a powder form.
Reasons for Covering this Title
The ongoing trend of consuming nutritious and healthy food items, along with growing inclination towards the use of red algae in various cuisines, has led to growth in demand for quantitative information on dulse. There is documented evidence that dulse has been used in Ireland for more than five hundred years now. However, recently, it has been observed that the consumption of dulse in the French market accounted for almost ninety percent of the total European consumption. In 2013, the total consumption of dulse in Europe stood at around 70 MT and 63 MT of dulse was consumed alone by France. Large volumes of dulse is used in the processing industry to make protein-rich seaweed-based products. Moreover, consumer interest has been growing across the globe in food items containing dulse as it totally mimics the taste of a bacon. Growing demand for anti-oxidant and protein-rich food items is being observed in countries, such as Germany, U.S. and the U.K., among others, due to which manufacturers are getting attracted towards the use of dulse in their products, which will lead to the growth of the Dulse market in near future. Dulse also possesses skin care properties due to which it is expected that it will witness high growth in demand from the cosmetics industry.
Global Dulse: Market Segmentation
On the basis of form, the global dulse market has been segmented as –
On the basis of end use, the global dulse market has been segmented as –
- Food Processing Industry
- Animal Feed Industry
- Personal Care Industry
On the basis of nature, the global dulse market has been segmented as –
On the basis of distribution channel, the global dulse market has been segmented as –
- Convenience Stores
- Specialty Store
- Online Retailer
Global Dulse Market: Key Players
Some of the key players operating in the global dulse market are Bernard Jensen International, Hippocrates Health Institute, Biovea, Starwest Botanicals, Pacific Harvest, Eden Foods Inc., Celtic Sea Spice Co., Maine Coast Sea Vegetables, The Cornish Seaweed Company and Atlantic Seaweeds Ltd, among others.
According to Michael Graham (President of Monterey Bay Seaweeds), “The sustainability and environmental benefits of seaweed are an important factor responsible for the rise in popularity of so-called “sea vegetables”. This simply indicates that the popularity of dulse is on the rise and the market is expected to witness robust growth during the forecast period.
Global Dulse Market: Value Chain
Opportunities for Market Participants
Dulse can be used in a broad range of food products. Dulse pasta and smoothies are among the only few food products which have been launched in few regions and thus, great opportunities for more products can be expected since only a fraction of companies are in this business as this product is only in its introductory stage. Dulse, when fried, gives the taste of bacon and many flavor manufacturers are looking to use dulse to produce plant-based bacon flavor. This will create opportunities for various local flavor manufacturers to manufacture, expand and export their products worldwide, resulting in expanding global presence.
Brief Approach to Research
The analysis will be done on modelling-based approach and triangulation methodology to estimate data covered in this report. A detailed market understanding and assessment of the flavor, application and encapsulation process of the segments covered in the study is followed by carrying out a demand-side approach to estimate the sales of target segments, which is then cross-referenced with a supply-side assessment of value generated over a pre-defined period. The statistics and data is collected at a regional level, consolidated and synthesized at a global level to estimate the overall market sizes.
Key Data Points Covered in the Report
Some of the key data points covered in our report include:
- An overview of the Dulse market, including background and evolution
- Macroeconomic factors affecting the market and its potential
- Market dynamics, such as drivers, challenges and trends
- Detailed value chain analysis of the market
- Cost structure of the products and segments covered in the study
- In-depth pricing analysis, by key segments, regions and by major market participants
- Analysis of supply and demand, such as top producing and consuming geographies, imports/exports and overall trade scenario
- Analysis of the market structure, including a tier-wise categorization of key market participants
- Competitive landscape of the market, including detailed profiles of the top players in this market
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.