Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Treatment Market: Introduction
- Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD) is a genetic disorder characterized by progressive degeneration of the muscles and weakness in them. It is a rare muscle disease, which largely affects men.
- Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD) therapeutics help treat this genetic disorder caused due to absence of dystrophin, a protein in the human body. Symptoms of the disease include weakness in the muscles of the hips, the thighs, the pelvic area, and the shoulders. Later, weakness is observed in the muscles of the arms, the legs, and the trunk. Various therapies and drugs to control DMD are available, which include mutation suppression, exon skipping, and steroid therapy.
- DMD is caused by changes (mutations) of the DMD gene on the X chromosome
Are you a Start-up willing to make it big in the Business? Grab an Exclusive PDF Brochure of Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Treatment Market Report
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Treatment Market
- Increase in the number of patients with Duchenne muscular dystrophy is expected to propel the global Duchenne muscular dystrophy treatment market during the forecast period. According to the National Organization for Rare Disorders, one in 3,500 male babies born worldwide are affected with Duchenne muscular dystrophy. Overall, muscular dystrophies affect 250,000 individuals in the U.S.
- Increase in the number of clinical trials for testing the future treatment for Duchenne muscular dystrophy and wide product pipeline are likely to drive the global market for Duchenne muscular dystrophy treatment during the forecast period. Ataluren, casimersen, golodirsen, suvodirsen, and viltolarsen are five drug molecules undergoing Phase-3 clinical trial for their use in the treatment of Duchenne muscular dystrophy. EXONDYS 51 has been recently approved for treatment of the disease.
- Low rate of treatment caused by delayed diagnosis of the disease is restraining global Duchenne muscular dystrophy treatment market
Exon Skipping Segment to Witness Significant Growth
- Based on therapeutics, the global Duchenne muscular dystrophy treatment market can be segmented into mutation suppression, exon skipping, and steroid therapy
- The exon skipping segment accounted for the maximum share of the global Duchenne muscular dystrophy treatment market in 2018. The segment is expected to continue its dominance in the next few years, as a majority of exon skipping drugs are undergoing Phase-3 clinical trials. Only one drug approved for Duchenne muscular dystrophy i.e. Exondy 51 falls under the exon skipping therapeutics.
Hospital Pharmacies Segment to Witness Significant Growth
- In terms of distribution channel, the global Duchenne muscular dystrophy treatment market can be divided into hospital pharmacies, retail pharmacies, and online sales
- The hospital pharmacies segment generated the maximum revenues in 2018 and it is anticipated to witness significant growth during the forecast period. This can be attributed to growing number of patients with Duchenne muscular dystrophy being hospitalized. Hence, drugs for Duchenne muscular dystrophy are being sold on a large scale through hospital pharmacies.
North America to Dominate Global Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Treatment Market
- In terms of region, the global Duchenne muscular dystrophy treatment market can be categorized into: North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America dominated the global Duchenne muscular dystrophy treatment market in 2018 and it is expected to maintain its leading position during the forecast period. The dominance of the region can be attributed to increasing research and development activities by major market players, expansion of product offerings by these players, and rise in the demand for early diagnosis in the region.
- The market in Asia Pacific is projected to register the maximum growth rate during the forecast period, owing to increase in the adoption of new products and rise in the incidence of Duchenne muscular dystrophy in the region
Expanding Operations in Future? To Get the Perfect Launch Ask for a Custom Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Treatment Market Report
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Market
The global Duchenne muscular dystrophy treatment market was highly fragmented in 2018. Key manufacturers operating in the global market are:
- Sarepta Therapeutics, Inc.
- Santhera Pharmaceuticals
- PTC Therapeutics
- NS Pharma, Inc.
- Wave Life Sciences
- Daiichi Sankyo Company
- Pfizer Inc.
- Solid Biosciences
Global Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Treatment Market: Research Scope
Global Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Treatment Market, by Therapeutics
- Mutation Suppression
- Exon Skipping
- Steroid Therapy
Global Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Treatment Market, by Distribution Channel
- Hospital Pharmacies
- Retail Pharmacies
- Online Sales
Global Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Treatment Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.