Global Dry Eye Syndrome Market
Dry eye syndrome, medically known as keratoconjunctivitis sicca, is an ocular disorder caused by the lack of tear fluid to lubricate the eyes. This can be an indicator of either low production of tears or rapid evaporation of the film of tears on the surface of the eyes, which can be brought about by several conditions. Dry eye syndrome is one of the most common eye disorders around the world and is particularly common in the geriatric demographic. Reduction in the production of tears due to aging is the primary cause of dry eye syndrome among the elderly. Regular users of contact lenses also have an increased risk of dry eye syndrome.
Depending upon the cause and severity of the condition, dry eye syndrome can be irreversible. However, most cases can be treated with a combination of artificial tears, steroid eye drops, warm compressors, and punctal plugs. All these treatments have different mechanisms: artificial tears can close up the deficiency of natural tears to lubricate the eyes, steroid drops help soothe inflammation around the eye to stimulate natural tear production, warm compressors help increase the activity of glands around the eyes required to produce tears, and punctal plugs help keep tears on the surface of the eyes for a longer period.
Global Dry Eye Syndrome Market: Drivers and Restraints
The growth of the global dry eye syndrome market is primarily due to the increase in the overall prevalence of dry eye syndrome, which is attributable to a combination of several factors.
The rising geriatric population around the world has led to an upsurge in the overall prevalence of dry eye syndrome, as tear glands weaken due to aging and can’t produce sufficient tear fluid to maintain a lubricating film over the eyes.
The high prevalence of other conditions that can affect the functioning of the eye, such as diabetes, is another major factor boosting the prevalence of dry eye syndrome. The changes in the composition of the patient’s blood due to diabetes can affect tear glands adversely, causing dry eye syndrome. Other conditions that can indirectly cause dry eye syndrome include vitamin A deficiency, lupus, thyroid disorders, and rheumatoid arthritis.
The global dry eye syndrome market has also been boosted by the increasing awareness among the population about this disease. Dry eye syndrome is likely to be ignored by many patients, since the inconvenience caused by it is not debilitating. However, the rising awareness about the diagnosis and treatment of the disease has resulted in more patients proactively trying to cure the disease, propelling the global dry eye syndrome market. Nevertheless, the popularity of self-medication by patients remains a major restraint on the dry eye syndrome market at present.
Steady government support for medical research has allowed researchers to treat this condition more precisely and comprehensively. Research into the disease has been productive in recent years as a result, helping the global dry eye syndrome market post a high growth rate due to the growing confidence of patients in the treatments on offer. Many governments around the world are expected to keep up their strong support for medical research in the near future, indirectly benefitting the global dry eye syndrome market.
However, the expiration of patents on major drugs used in the treatment of dry eye syndrome is a major restraint on the global dry eye syndrome market.
Global Dry Eye Syndrome Market: Regional and Competitive Dynamics
The global dry eye syndrome market is dominated by North America. The high prevalence of lifestyle disorders that increase the chances of contracting dry eye syndrome in this region is a major driver for the North America dry eye syndrome market. Medications such as antihistamines, pain relievers, and antidepressants, the use of which is rampant in North America, also reportedly increase the risk of dry eye syndrome.
However, the swelling patient population and strong government support for medical research in Asia Pacific are expected to enable rapid growth of the regional market in the coming years.
Some of the major companies in the global dry eye syndrome market are Novartis, Nicox, Allergan Inc., Bridge Pharma Inc., and Santen Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. Of these, Novartis, Allergan, and Santen have established a dominant presence in the global dry eye syndrome market and are expected to lead the market in the coming years as well.
This intelligence report by TMR is the outcome of intense study and rigorous assessment of various dynamics shaping the growth of the market. TMR nurtures a close-knit team of analysts, strategists, and industry experts who offer clients tools, methodologies, and frameworks to make smarter decisions. Our objective, insights, and actionable analytics provide CXOs and executives to advance their mission-critical priorities with confidence.
The scrutiny of the various forces impacting the dynamics of the market, and key and associated industries, guides enterprises in understanding various consumer propositions. Our clients leverage these insights and perspectives to enhance customer experience in the fast-paced business environment.
All our insights and perspectives are broadly based on 4 Pillars or Stages: ASBC-S, which offer an elaborate and customizable framework for the success of an organization. The essence and the roles of these in organizational successes are highlighted below:
- Agenda for CXOs: TMR, through the study, sets the tone for agendas that are pertinent to CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and other CXO executives of businesses operating in the market. The perspectives help our clients to bridge the gap between agenda and action plan. TMR strives to offer guidance to CXOs to undertake mission-critical activities empowered by various business analysis tools, and boost the performance of the organizations. The perspectives guide you to decide on your own marketing mix that align well with the policies, visions, and mission.
- Strategic Frameworks: The study offers how organizations are setting both short-term and long-term strategic plans. Our team of experts collaborate and communicate with you to understand these to make your organizations sustainable and resilient during tough times. The insights help them decide sustainable competitive advantage for each business units.
- Benchmarking for Deciding Target Markets and Brand Positioning: The assessments in the study provides a scrutiny of marketing channels and marketing mix. Our various teams work synergistically with you to help identify your actual and potential direct, indirect, and budget competition areas. Additionally, the study helps you decide most effective budgets for various processes and promotional activities. Furthermore, the study guides you to set benchmarks for integrating people and processes with the 4Ps of marketing. Eventually, this will empower you to find out unique propositioning strategies and niches.
- Business Composability for Sustainability (C-S): Constant strategy planning for sustainability characterizing our C-S framework in the report has become more relevant than before in the face of disruptions caused by pandemics, recessions, boom and bust cycles, and changing geopolitical scenario. The TMR study offers a high level of customization to help you achieve business composability. Composable enterprises are increasingly gaining the attention of CXOs in order to help them combat market volatility. Our analysts and industry experts help you wade through such uncertainties and guide you to become a smart sustainable business in entirety.
The study presents scrutiny of region-specific consumer and technology trends, including the most recent industry dynamics. These broadly cover but not limited to
- North America, South America, and the Americas
- Asia Pacific and Japan
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
The study offers data-driven insights and guidance of several aspects. Some of the more notable questions are:
- What are the major recent trends that can influence the product life cycle and the RoI?
- Which regulatory trends shape corporate-level, business-level, and functional-level strategies?
- Which micromarketing initiatives of leading players will bring in investments?
- What can be the best framework and tools for PESTLE analysis?
- Which regions will witness rise in new opportunities?
- Which are the game-changing technologies being used to capture new revenue streams in the near future?
- Which operational and tactical frameworks are being adopted by various players in gaining customer loyalty?
- What is the current and expected intensity of competition the market in the near future?
Disclaimer: This market research study is an ongoing effort and extreme care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy at all stages. However, in the light of the rapidly evolving business dynamics, some region-specific or other segment-specific changes may take time to be part of the study.