Distribution Recloser: Introduction
- Reclosers are a kind of small, circuit breakers mounted at the top of distribution poles and used on long distribution feeders. They shut off electric power when trouble occurs, such as short circuit, and automatically test the electric line to check whether the trouble has been rectified. In case of a temporary issue, reclosers automatically reset themselves and restore electric power.
- Distribution reclosers are typically used throughout the power distribution lines; from substation to residential utility poles. They can be utilized over single-phase power lines and larger three-phase power lines.
- They provide essential real-time information about the line status such as power, voltage, and frequency values. Such data is used to improve the mid-voltage grid operation, by enabling fault analysis and system diagnosis.
- Rise in adoption of distribution reclosers for overhead distribution lines as well as in distribution transformer stations for various purposes, such as protection, measurement, communication, and fault detection, is fuelling the distribution recloser market
Rising Demand from Substation Feeders Driving Market
- Based on application, the substation feeders segment of the distribution recloser market is estimated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period due to extensive usage of recloser for overcurrent protection in secondary distribution systems. Reclosers are primarily used in control cubical of a substation.
- Distribution reclosers offer reduced maintenance cost for a substation by eliminating the need for routine maintenance. Furthermore, they enhance personnel safety with overall dependable performance. Distribution reclosers protect the main feeder from outages and sectionalize long feeders, which prevents outages of the entire feeder when a permanent fault occurs.
- Moreover, several market players are developing advanced distribution reclosers to gain a competitive edge. In November 2020, Potomac Edison, a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp, completed 15 substation recloser replacements with newer models by the end of 2020. Such models contain a single phase technology that isolates a trouble over one portion of the power line while keeping the electricity flowing through the remainder. This minimizes the number of customers interrupted by certain types of outages.
Asia Pacific to Lead Global Distribution Recloser Market
- In terms of region, the global distribution recloser market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East & Africa, and South America
- The distribution recloser market in Asia Pacific is estimated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period due to an increase in demand from distribution networks to deliver outage-free power for residential, business, industrial, and institutional customers
- Rising industrialization activities to boost the economy and expansion of renewable power generation & distribution network have further propelled the demand for distribution reclosers
- China is a prominent consumer of distribution reclosers owing to its aim to support more renewable energy and curb greenhouse gas emissions by upgrade of existing power grids and expansion of electricity infrastructure. In August 2021, China XD Group Co.’s authorities unveiled advanced plans to combine electricity transmission and distribution equipment makers to create around US$17 billion investment. Furthermore, in 2019, SGCC (State Grid Corp. of China), opened the first UHV (Ultra-High Voltage) line (1,600 kilometers long) between the province of Qinghai and Henan, to carry primarily solar electricity. These factors are boosting the demand for distribution reclosers and subsequently fueling the market.
- The distribution recloser market in North America and Europe is expected to expand at a substantial rate during the forecast period due to an increase in need to update existing aging power grid network. Moreover, growing investment in new infrastructure of smarter power network to cater to the rising demand for power across commercial and residential sectors has boosted the adoption of distribution reclosers. On the other hand, the market in Middle East & Africa and South America is projected to expand at a moderate pace during the forecast period.
Key Players Operating in Global Distribution Recloser Market
The global distribution recloser market was highly fragmented in 2020. Major players that actively participate in the market are consistently focused on development of new advanced products. Key manufacturers are committed to expand the business and develop innovative products with the aid of mergers and acquisitions activities.
Key players operating in the global distribution recloser market are:
- Eaton Corporation plc
- Siemens AG
- Southern States, llc
- ABB Ltd
- NOJA Power Switchgear Pty Ltd
- Tavrida Electric
- Schneider Electric
- G&W Electric
- Komachine Co
- Ensto Group
Global Distribution Recloser Market: Research Scope
Global Distribution Recloser Market, by Phase
- Single phase
- Three Phase
- Triple-single Phase
Global Distribution Recloser Market, by Voltage
Global Distribution Recloser Market, by Control
Global Distribution Recloser Market, by Application
- Overhead Network Protection
- Substation Feeders
Global Distribution Recloser Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- South America
- Rest of South America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!