Direct-to-Consumer Laboratory Testing Market: Overview
- According to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), direct-to-consumer laboratory tests are diagnostic tests marketed directly to consumers without the involvement of a health care provider
- In case of direct-to-consumer laboratory tests, the customer collects the sample such as urine & saliva and then sends it to the company for testing and analysis
- Some direct-to-consumer laboratory tests are based on clinical data that support the information and analysis provided while other tests may have varying levels of evidence supporting their claims
- The global direct-to-consumer laboratory testing market is anticipated to expand at a significant pace during the forecast period, owing to increase in consumer awareness & education about these tests, rise in number of people using these tests proactively, and growing trend for using direct-to-consumer laboratory testing for ancestry
Are you a Start-up willing to make it Big in the Business? Grab an Exclusive PDF Brochure of Direct-to-Consumer Laboratory Testing Market Report
Drivers of Global Direct-to-Consumer Laboratory Testing Market
- Rise in emphasis on patient-driven health care and easy access to patients as consumers through various sources such as internet and media are expected to drive the global direct-to-consumer laboratory testing market
- Increase in adoption of direct-to-consumer laboratory testing for assessing diet & nutrition, cost-effectiveness, and increase in demand for easy-to-use test kits are various factors expected to support the growth of the direct-to-consumer laboratory testing market during the forecast period
- In December, Vitagene launched two health and wellness products based on DNA test results. These products are expected to enhance the company`s health and wellness services by including tailored food plans and customized exercise regimens
Genetic Testing Segment to Gain Market Share
- Based on test type, the global direct-to-consumer laboratory testing market can be classified into blood cell count, cholesterol level testing, HIV testing, pregnancy testing, substance abuse testing, urinalysis, and genetic testing
- The genetic testing segment is anticipated to gain significant share in the global direct-to-consumer laboratory testing market during the forecast period, owing to new product launch, increase in number of market players offering direct-to-consumer genetic test kits, and enormous growth in direct-to-consumer testing, especially in developed countries across the globe
Disease Risk Assessment Segment to Exhibit Significant Growth
- Based on application, the global direct-to-consumer laboratory testing market can be classified into disease risk assessment, diet & nutrition, health & fitness, ancestry testing, and others
- The disease risk assessment segment is anticipated to gain significant share in the global direct-to-consumer laboratory testing market during the forecast period, owing to rise in importance for early diagnosis of disease diagnostic and increase in prevalence of cancer, diabetes, obesity, and cardiovascular diseases
- In January 2019, 23andMe received Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval for a consumer test for hereditary colorectal cancer syndrome
North America to Hold Major Share of Global Direct-to-Consumer Laboratory Testing Market
- North America is projected to account for a prominent share of the global direct-to-consumer laboratory testing market during the forecast period. Growth of the direct-to-consumer laboratory testing market in the region can be ascribed to the huge discounts offered by companies, high acceptance of home use test kits among adults, and rise in emphasis on fitness
- In the U.S., 23andme Test - Health + Ancestry Personal Genetic Service was available at a special price of US$ 99 on Black Friday, which was originally priced at US$ 199
Looking for Regional Analysis or Competitive Landscape in Direct-to-Consumer Laboratory Testing Market, Ask for a Customized Report
Key Players in Global Direct-to-Consumer Laboratory Testing Market
Major players operating in the global direct-to-consumer laboratory testing market are:
- 23andMe, Inc.
- Any Lab Test Now, Inc.
- Counsyl, Inc.
- Gene by Gene, Ltd.
- Myriad Genetics, Inc.
- Quest Diagnostics, Inc.
- Veritas Genetics
- Vitagene, Inc.
Global Direct-to-Consumer Laboratory Testing Market: Research Scope
Global Direct-to-Consumer Laboratory Testing Market, by Test Type
- Blood Cell Count
- Cholesterol Level Testing
- HIV Testing
- Pregnancy Testing
- Substance Abuse Testing
- Genetic Testing
Global Direct-to-Consumer Laboratory Testing Market, by Application
- Disease Risk Assessment
- Diet & Nutrition
- Health & Fitness
- Ancestry Testing
Global Direct-to-Consumer Laboratory Testing Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.