Direct-to-Consumer Laboratory Testing Market: Overview
- According to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), direct-to-consumer laboratory tests are diagnostic tests marketed directly to consumers without the involvement of a health care provider
- In case of direct-to-consumer laboratory tests, the customer collects the sample such as urine & saliva and then sends it to the company for testing and analysis
- Some direct-to-consumer laboratory tests are based on clinical data that support the information and analysis provided while other tests may have varying levels of evidence supporting their claims
- The global direct-to-consumer laboratory testing market is anticipated to expand at a significant pace during the forecast period, owing to increase in consumer awareness & education about these tests, rise in number of people using these tests proactively, and growing trend for using direct-to-consumer laboratory testing for ancestry
Are you a Start-up willing to make it Big in the Business? Grab an Exclusive PDF Brochure of Direct-to-Consumer Laboratory Testing Market Report
Drivers of Global Direct-to-Consumer Laboratory Testing Market
- Rise in emphasis on patient-driven health care and easy access to patients as consumers through various sources such as internet and media are expected to drive the global direct-to-consumer laboratory testing market
- Increase in adoption of direct-to-consumer laboratory testing for assessing diet & nutrition, cost-effectiveness, and increase in demand for easy-to-use test kits are various factors expected to support the growth of the direct-to-consumer laboratory testing market during the forecast period
- In December, Vitagene launched two health and wellness products based on DNA test results. These products are expected to enhance the company`s health and wellness services by including tailored food plans and customized exercise regimens
Genetic Testing Segment to Gain Market Share
- Based on test type, the global direct-to-consumer laboratory testing market can be classified into blood cell count, cholesterol level testing, HIV testing, pregnancy testing, substance abuse testing, urinalysis, and genetic testing
- The genetic testing segment is anticipated to gain significant share in the global direct-to-consumer laboratory testing market during the forecast period, owing to new product launch, increase in number of market players offering direct-to-consumer genetic test kits, and enormous growth in direct-to-consumer testing, especially in developed countries across the globe
Disease Risk Assessment Segment to Exhibit Significant Growth
- Based on application, the global direct-to-consumer laboratory testing market can be classified into disease risk assessment, diet & nutrition, health & fitness, ancestry testing, and others
- The disease risk assessment segment is anticipated to gain significant share in the global direct-to-consumer laboratory testing market during the forecast period, owing to rise in importance for early diagnosis of disease diagnostic and increase in prevalence of cancer, diabetes, obesity, and cardiovascular diseases
- In January 2019, 23andMe received Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval for a consumer test for hereditary colorectal cancer syndrome
North America to Hold Major Share of Global Direct-to-Consumer Laboratory Testing Market
- North America is projected to account for a prominent share of the global direct-to-consumer laboratory testing market during the forecast period. Growth of the direct-to-consumer laboratory testing market in the region can be ascribed to the huge discounts offered by companies, high acceptance of home use test kits among adults, and rise in emphasis on fitness
- In the U.S., 23andme Test - Health + Ancestry Personal Genetic Service was available at a special price of US$ 99 on Black Friday, which was originally priced at US$ 199
Looking for Regional Analysis or Competitive Landscape in Direct-to-Consumer Laboratory Testing Market, Ask for a Customized Report
Key Players in Global Direct-to-Consumer Laboratory Testing Market
Major players operating in the global direct-to-consumer laboratory testing market are:
- 23andMe, Inc.
- Any Lab Test Now, Inc.
- Counsyl, Inc.
- Gene by Gene, Ltd.
- Myriad Genetics, Inc.
- Quest Diagnostics, Inc.
- Veritas Genetics
- Vitagene, Inc.
Global Direct-to-Consumer Laboratory Testing Market: Research Scope
Global Direct-to-Consumer Laboratory Testing Market, by Test Type
- Blood Cell Count
- Cholesterol Level Testing
- HIV Testing
- Pregnancy Testing
- Substance Abuse Testing
- Genetic Testing
Global Direct-to-Consumer Laboratory Testing Market, by Application
- Disease Risk Assessment
- Diet & Nutrition
- Health & Fitness
- Ancestry Testing
Global Direct-to-Consumer Laboratory Testing Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.