Digital Fault Recorder (DFR): Introduction
- Digital Fault Recorder (DFR) is a device that is installed in a substation to record the waveform from a fault on a transmission line. It is a multi-functional data acquisition device that is able to record all waveform signals at a sampling rate of 1024 samples per cycle. Thus, it can monitor all power quality load profiles and synchrophasors. DFR provides complete isolation and analysis of any event and gives solutions for protection and optimum operation of the electric system. It is a powerful platform for cost-effective performance solution, acquisition, analysis, and data reporting from power system substations. Features of DFR include modular design, centralized & decentralized architecture, modern synchronization, comprehensive web-interface, and scalable architecture.
- DFR uses communications to retrieve fault, disturbance, and sequence of event records that are captured by protection relays distributed throughout a substation. It internally stores this critical substation information, which is used in local station troubleshooting. It also archives this data in a remote enterprise network location for permanent storage and analysis. Rise in contracts, agreements, and product developments is fueling the global DFR market.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Digital Fault Recorder (DFR) Market
- The global DFR market has developed significantly over the last few years. DFR plays an important role in addressing several issues associated with faults and disturbances in substations. Rise in usage of fault recorders in the power sector is expected to propel the DFR market during the forecast period.
- Increase in demand for power due to growth in industrialization is estimated to create significant opportunities for the DFR market. Thus, the DFR market is anticipated to expand at a significant pace during the forecast period.
Digital Fault Recorder (DFR): Type Segment
- In terms of type, the global DFR market can be segmented into dedicated and multifunctional
- The multifunctional segment is expected to account for significant share of the global DFR market during the forecast period. It is anticipated to be followed by the dedicated segment.
Digital Fault Recorder (DFR): Installation Segment
- In terms of installation, the global DFR market can be divided into generation, transmission, and distribution
- The transmission segment is likely to account for major share of the global DFR market during the forecast period due to the increase in investments in power transmission infrastructure across the globe
Digital Fault Recorder (DFR): Station Segment
- In terms of station, the global DFR market can be segregated into non-automated station and automated station
- The automated segment is expected to account for significant share of the global DFR market during the forecast period
Digital Fault Recorder (DFR): Voltage Segment
- In terms of voltage, the global DFR market can be classified into less than 66 kV, 66-220 kV, and above 220 kV
- The 66-220 kV segment is estimated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period. It is projected to be followed by the above 220 kV segment.
Covid-19 Impact on Digital Fault Recorder (DFR) Market
- On January 30, 2020, the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee of the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak a public health emergency of international concern. Originating in China, the virus has spread to at least 213 countries and territories around the world.
- Several governments and private sector businesses are operating at a limited capacity or have ceased operations completely due to recent events surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic
- Manufacture of various consumer goods and other products across the globe has come to a halt due to the unavailability of raw materials, shortage of labor, etc. This is expected to hamper the global DFR market.
Asia Pacific to Dominate Digital Fault Recorder (DFR) Market
- In terms of region, the global DFR market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific dominated the global DFR market in 2020. This trend is anticipated to continue during the forecast period. This can be ascribed to the increase in government investments to improve power grid infrastructure in order to maximize the reliability of power systems. India is a rapidly growing country of the DFR market in Asia Pacific due to the rise in demand for power grid infrastructure in the country. Increase in demand for resources of renewable energy and power grid is also driving the DFR market in Asia Pacific.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Digital Fault Recorder (DFR) Market
The global DFR market was consolidated in 2020. Major players have prominent presence in developed and developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the global DFR market include:
- DUCATI Energia Spa
- ERL Phase Power Technologies Ltd.
- Elspec LTD
- General Electric Company
- KoCoS Messtechnik AG
- Kinkei System Corporation
- LogicLab s.r.l.
- Prosoft-Systems Ltd.
- Qualitrol Company LLC
- Siemens AG
Global Digital Fault Recorder (DFR) Market: Research Scope
Global Digital Fault Recorder (DFR) Market, by Type
Global Digital Fault Recorder (DFR) Market, by Installation
Global Digital Fault Recorder (DFR) Market, by Station
- Non-automated station
- Automated station
Global Digital Fault Recorder (DFR) Market, by Voltage
- Less than 66 kV
- 66-220 kV
- Above 220 kV
Global Digital Fault Recorder (DFR) Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!