Di(2- ethylhexyl) phthalate: Introduction
- Di(2-ethylhexyl) phthlate (DEHP) is added to plastics as a plasticizer to make them flexible. DEHP is a colorless, oily organic chemical with a slight odor. DEHP is used in fabricating plastic products such as wall coverings, tablecloths, floor tiles, furniture upholstery, shower curtains, garden hoses, swimming pool liners, rainwear, automobile upholstery & tops, packaging film & sheets, medical tubing, and blood storage bags.
- (DEHP is also known as bis(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate or dioctyl phthalate (DOP). Plastics usually contain 1% to 40% of DEHP. It is also utilized as a hydraulic fluid and as a dielectric fluid in capacitors.
- DEHP doesn’t evaporate easily and can easily bind to dust particles present in air. Overuse of DEHP in plastic products causes DEHP to enter and pollute the air, water, and soil by being released from industrial settings and plastic waste disposal sites. DEHP can easily bind to dust particles present in air as well as soil, which can further pollute groundwater. DEHP has several regulation in numerous countries such as Taiwan, France, and Denmark and in some states of the U.S. due to its possible cancer causing agent in the human body.
- The annual global production of DEHP stands at 2 million tons. DEHP not only functions as a plasticizer but also has plays a role as an apoptosis inhibitor and an androstane receptor agonist.
- Several key players involved in the production of DEHP, such as BASF SE, has launched an environment- and health-friendly non-phthalate plasticizer, a replacement of DEHP
For Right Perspective & Competitive Insights on Automotive Brake Override System Market, Request for a Sample
Di(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate: Application Segment
- DEHP is extensively utilized as a plasticizer, which helps increase elasticity of Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) plastics. DEHP forms a non-covalent bond with plastics, which can be easily released in the presence of heat or regular cleaning of the products. DEHP has a wide range of applications in medical devices such as blood and intravenous solution bags, catheters, tubing for dialysis and intravenous solutions, oxygen masks, and urine and colostomy bags. By 2005, almost 40 % of DEHP produced in the U.S. was used in medical devices. Approximately 30% of DEHP is used for consumer products and another 30% for building products.
- DEHP can be employed as a plasticizers in consumer and building products such as tablecloths, shower curtains, furniture, automobile upholstery, imitation leather, garden hoses, floor tiles, swimming-pool liners, sheathing for wire and cable, rainwear, shoes, toys, dolls, and food packaging materials
- DEHP is also extensively used as a plasticizer for non-PVC materials such as polyvinyl butyral, natural and synthetic rubber, chlorinated rubber, ethyl cellulose, and nitrocellulose
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF Brochure of this report
Key Drivers of Di(2- ethylhexyl) phthalate Market
- Demand for personal protective equipment (PPE) kits has increased drastically in recent times due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. PPE kits consists of garments used to protect health care workers or any other persons to get infected. The kit comprises face protection, goggles and mask or face shield, gloves, gown or coverall, head cover, rubber boots. Limited amount of DEHP is utilized to make those PVC plastics in PPE kits more flexible. Increase in demand for PPE kits is also likely to boost the demand for Di (2- ethylhexyl) phthalate in the near future.
- DEHP are also employed in the pipe, wire & cables industry. PVC pipes dominate the market globally and DEHP is used in the production of PVC pipes. Demand of PVC pipes is higher as compared to their alternatives such as steel, copper, concrete, and Iron pipes. Rise in construction activities around the world is projected to boost the consumption of PVC pipes, wires & cables and in turn fuel the demand for Di(2- ethylhexyl) phthalate in this industry.
Key Restraints of Di(2- ethylhexyl) phthalate Market
- Usage of DEHP as a plasticizer has been declining due to environmental and health concerns due to the potential toxicity from DEHP. The U.S. Congress has permanently banned three types of phthalates, including DEHP, in amounts more than 0.1% in children toys and other children products. Inhalation, digestion, and dermal contact are the primary routes through which DEHP can enter into the human body and animals, which can drive the cases of hepatocellular carcinomas.
- Based on the report published by Commission’s Scientific Committee on Toxicity, Ecotoxicity and the Environment (CSTEE), the European Union has prohibited the use of four phthalates in consumer products since 1999. The four chemicals—butyl benzyl phthalate (BBP), di(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate (DEHP), dibutyl phthalate (DBP), and diisobutyl phthalate (DIBP)—are associated with toxic effects on human reproductive health. Furthermore, the Government of Taiwan has enforced a stringent ban the use of DEHP in children toys. In July 21, 2018, the EU voted unanimously to extend the ban on those four chemicals.
- In 2012, France become the first country to prohibit the usage of DEHP in the production of medical devices, and in pediatrics, neonatal, and maternity wards in hospitals.
- All the regulations on DEHP enacted by some developed and developing countries mentioned above are hampering the sales of DEHP
Key Manufacturers Operating in Market
Key manufacturers operating in the global Di(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate market include:
- BASF SE
- Mitsubishi Chemical
- UPC Group
- Eastman Chemical Company
- NAN YA PLASTICS CORPORATION
- Perstorp Holding AB
- Hongxin Chemical
- Anqing Sheng Feng Chemical
- Hanwha Chemical
- Guangdong Rongtai
- Zhejiang Jianye Chemical
Global Di(2- ethylhexyl) phthalate Market: Research Scope
Global Di(2- ethylhexyl) phthalate Market, by Application
- Medical Devices
- Tubing for dialysis and intravenous solutions
- Automobile Upholstery
- Consumer Products
- Building Products
- Food Packaging Materials
Global Di(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note:Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.