- Cyclopentanone is also known as Adipic Ketone. It is transparent colorless oily liquid. It has smell of special ether. It also smells akin to mint.
- It is narcotic at high concentrations. It can be obtained through oxidation of cyclopentanol. It can also be obtained through the heating of adipic acid in the presence of barium hydroxide. Cyclopentanone is also easily subject to polymerization, especially in the presence of an acid.
- Cyclopentanone is primarily used in the manufacture of drugs, biological agents, pesticides, and rubber additives
- Aldehydes and ketones can react with diazoalkane and lose nitrogen atoms, thus generating two carbonyl compounds and epoxy compounds
Key Drivers and Restraints of Cyclopentanone Market
- Rise in demand for cyclopentanone as an important chemical in the manufacture of perfumes and different aromas from the perfume industry can be ascribed to the growth of the personal care industry in various developing economies such as India and China. Steady growth of end-use industries is expected to drive the growth of cyclopentanone market during the forecast period.
- Increase in demand for cyclopentanone in the electronics industry, where the chemical is used as a solvent, is expected to drive the global cyclopentanone market during the forecast period. Besides this, growth of other end-use industries such as rubber chemicals and insecticides; and increase in usage in pharmaceuticals are expected to boost the cyclopentanone market during the forecast period.
- End-consumers and manufacturers of personal care products are concerned about the environmental footprint of various products and their ingredients. Increase in awareness about ill-effects of synthetic ingredients has propelled the demand for sustainable products that are made from organic solvents in the global personal care industry. This is also boosting the global market.
Cyclopentanone: End-use Segment
- In terms of end-use, the cyclopentanone market can be segmented into personal care, pharmaceuticals, electronics, insecticides, rubber chemicals, and others
- The personal care segment dominated the market in 2020 primarily driven by the rise in usage of cyclopentanone in various perfumes and aroma-based products in different countries across the globe
- Increase in usage of cyclopentanone in the manufacture of drugs and biological agents in developing countries is also propelling the demand for cyclopentanone. The Covid-19 pandemic has created a vast supply and demand gap for various drugs owing to the increase in usage of these drugs in the treatment of Covid-19 and post Covid-19 complications. This is expected to boost the cyclopentanone market during the forecast period.
- Global sales of automobiles increased in 2021 compared to that in 2020 owing to the slight recovery in the economy and relaxed lockdown restrictions in different parts of the globe. This boosted the demand for rubber and related products in the automobile industry. In line with this, the consumption of rubber chemicals increased, thus boosting the cyclopentanone market.
COVID-19 Impact on Cyclopentanone Market
- On January 30, 2020, the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee of the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak a public health emergency of international concern. Originating in China, the virus has spread to at least 214 countries and territories around the world.
- Several governments and private sector businesses are operating at a limited capacity or have ceased operations completely due to recent events surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic
- Manufacture of various consumer goods and other products across the globe came to a halt due to the unavailability of raw materials, shortage of labor, etc. This is likely to hamper the cyclopentanone market.
Asia Pacific to Dominate Cyclopentanone Market
- In terms of region, the cyclopentanone market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific is a leading consumer of cyclopentanone, followed by Europe and North America. Rise in demand for organic solvents for usage in perfumes, electronics, and different drugs and insecticides is anticipated to drive the demand for cyclopentanone in Asia Pacific in the near future. Demand for cyclopentanone is expected to rise at a significant pace in Asia Pacific owing to the increase in demand for high-end personal care products and growth in buying power of the people in the region.
- Infrastructure development in countries such as China and India; and rise in public and private investments are augmenting the demand for solvents in various end-use industries such as pharmaceuticals, personal care, and electronics in Asia Pacific. This is estimated to drive the demand for cyclopentanone in Asia Pacific during the forecast period.
- North America is also expected to maintain its market share during the forecast period owing to the increase in demand for cyclopentanone among perfume and rubber manufacturers in the region
Key Manufacturers Operating in Cyclopentanone Market
The cyclopentanone market was consolidated in 2020. Major players have prominent presence in developed and developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the cyclopentanone market include:
- BASF SE
- SHANGHAI PEARLK CHEMICAL CO.,LTD
- Zhejiang NHU Co., Ltd
- Zeon Corporation
Cyclopentanone Market: Research Scope
Cyclopentanone Market, by End-use
- Personal Care
- Rubber Chemicals
Global Cyclopentanone Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!