Crizanlizumab Market: Introduction
- Crizanlizumab is an effective medication for preventing vaso-occlusive crises in sickle cell anemia patients. It is a therapy for people 16 and older who suffer from vaso-occlusive crises, a severe consequence of sickle cell disease that occurs when blood circulation is blocked by sickled red blood cells.
- Sickle cell disease is characterized by the presence of sickle hemoglobin, chronic hemolysis, recurrent pain episodes, multiorgan dysfunction, and early death. Sickle cell–related pain crises are the primary cause of health care encounters in patients with sickle cell disease. These crises result in a decrease in quality of life and an increase in the risk of death. Crises are thought to be caused by vascular occlusion in the microcirculation, increased inflammation, and alterations in nociception. The prevention of crises could minimize or prevent tissue and organ damage and decrease the subsequent risk of death among patients with sickle cell disease. Crizanlizumab, an antibody against the adhesion protein P-selectin, was tested in sickle cell disease patients for safety and effectiveness. Crizanlizumab treatment was linked with a reduced risk of sickle cell–related pain crises than placebo, as well as a low number of side events.
Key Drivers, Restrains, and Opportunities of Global Crizanlizumab Market
- Increase in prevalence of sickle cell anemia drives the crizanlizumab market. Approximately 5% of the world’s population carries trait genes for hemoglobin disorders, primarily sickle-cell disease and thalassaemia. Hemoglobin disorders are genetic blood diseases due to the inheritance of mutant hemoglobin genes from both, generally healthy, parents. Over 300 000 babies with severe hemoglobin disorders are born each year.
- Sickle cell disease (SCD) affects millions of people throughout the world and is particularly common among those whose ancestors came from sub-Saharan Africa; Spanish-speaking regions in the Western Hemisphere such as South America, the Caribbean, and Central America, Saudi Arabia, India, and Mediterranean countries such as Turkey, Greece, and Italy.
- It is estimated that sickle cell disease affects approximately 100,000 people in the U.S, and occurs among about 1 out of every 365 Black or African-American births; sickle cell disease occurs among about 1 out of every 16,300 Hispanic-American births, about 1 in 13 Black or African-American babies is born with sickle cell trait (SCT).
- However, stringent regulatory requirements and high cost are major factors that are likely to hamper the market
- Governments in developing countries are making significant investments to modernize healthcare infrastructure, which is likely to increase access to healthcare. This is expected to increase the demand for crizanlizumab. Increase in prevalence of sickle cell in developing countries presents lucrative opportunities for the crizanlizumab market.
North America to Capture Major Share of Global Crizanlizumab Market
- North America is expected to account for a major share of the global crizanlizumab market due to high prevalence of sickle cell anemia among the population. Moreover, well- established healthcare infrastructure and hub for key industry players are major drivers of the crizanlizumab market in the region.
- The crizanlizumab market in Asia Pacific is estimated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period owing to a rise in healthcare infrastructure. Moreover, a surge in population coupled with sickle cell disease is likely propel the market in the region.
Key Players Operating in Global Crizanlizumab Market
The FDA approved crizanlizumab, a monoclonal antibody developed by Novartis, on November 15, 2019. Crizanlizumab aims to reduce the frequency of painful vaso-occlusive crisis, which are painful and can lead to life-threatening conditions. Moreover, they are a major cause of additional costs such as hospitalization.
Major player operating in the global crizanlizumab market is:
Global Crizanlizumab Market: Research Scope
Global Crizanlizumab Market, by Application
Global Crizanlizumab Market, by Age Group
Global Crizanlizumab Market, by End-user
- Hospitals & Specialty Clinics
- Blood Banks
Global Crizanlizumab Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!