CRISPR Technology Market: Introduction
- CRISPR is a genome-editing tool. It is used by researchers/health care professionals to alter DNA sequences and modify gene function.
- CRISPR is also used to correct genetic defects, treat human diseases, and yield better crop varieties
- CRISPR stands for Clusters of Regularly Interspaced Short Palindromic Repeats. The CRISPR-Cas9 system consists of two key molecules: Cas9 and guide RNA, which introduces a change or mutation into the DNA at the desired position.
- Cas9 is an enzyme that acts as a pair of ‘molecular scissors’ and can cut the two strands of DNA at a specific location in the genome so that bits of DNA can then be added or removed
- The guide RNA (also known as gRNA) is a small piece of pre-designed RNA sequence (about 20 bases long) located within a longer RNA scaffold. The scaffold part binds to DNA and the pre-designed sequence ‘guides’ Cas9 to the right part of the genome.
- This makes sure that the Cas9 enzyme cuts at the right point in the genome. High orthogonality, versatility, and efficiency of CRISPR technology make it a preferred genome editing technology.
Key Drivers, Restraints, and Opportunities of Global CRISPR Technology Market
- Rise in focus on gene therapeutics is projected to contribute to the growth of the global CRISPR technology market. Globally, focus on gene therapeutics has increased due to several factors including rise in prevalence of various genetic disorders such as hemophilia and thalassemia.
- According to a study conducted by McMaster University in 2019, over 1.12 million men had hemophilia, and of these 0.4 million had severe hemophilia
- Gene therapy works by introducing a DNA containing a functioning gene into a patient to correct the effect of a disease causing gene
- Preference for gene therapy in treatment of several diseases including cancer, cystic fibrosis, and AIDS has increased
- Rise in demand for gene therapeutics is anticipated to drive the global CRISPR technology market in the next few years
- Scientists, researchers, and companies are increasingly developing advanced CRISPR technologies for more precise editing and to get access to difficult to reach areas of the human genome
- In March 2020, scientists at the University of Toronto developed CHyMErA, a CRISPR-based tool for more versatile genome editing
- In March 2020, researchers at New York genome center developed a new CRISPR screening technology to target RNA, including RNA of novel viruses such as COVID-19. In November 2019, researchers at ETH Zurich, Switzerland, swapped CAS9 enzyme for CAS 12a, which allowed the researchers to edit genes in 25 target sites.
- Ethical concerns related to genetic research are expected to restrain the global CRISPR technology market during the forecast period. Usage of CRISPR technology has led to ethical concerns due to factors such as possibility of off-target effects and lack of informed consent for germline therapy. Ethical concerns could have a negative impact on the growth of the market.
North America to Dominate Global CRISPR Technology Market
- North America is likely to account for the largest share of the global market in 2031. This is attributed to rise in government and private funding, presence of major pharma and gene therapy companies, and adoption of CRISPR in a number of applications.
- Furthermore, crops that are treated with CRISPR-based gene editing are not considered GMOs in the U.S. this has attracted a number of agricultural companies to focus on the commercialization of CRISPR-edited crops.
Key Players of Global CRISPR Technology Market
- CRISPR Therapeutics
- Thermo Fisher Scientific
- GeneCopoeia, Inc.
- Intellia Therapeutics
- Horizon Discovery
- OriGene Technologies
- Synthego Corporation
- Lonza Biotec
- Integrated DNA Technology (Danaher)
- Agilent Technologies
- CSIR-Institute of Genomics & Integrative Biology (IGIB)
- BGI Group
- Eurofins Genomics India
- Setsurotech Co., Ltd.
- Merck KGaA
Global CRISPR Technology Market, Research Scope
Global CRISPR Technology Market, by Product Type
- Cas9 & gRNA
- Design Tools
- Plasmid & Vector
- Other Delivery System Products
Global CRISPR Technology Market, by Application
- Diagnostics and Others
Global CRISPR Technology Market, by End-user
- Academic Research Organizations
- Biopharmaceutical Companies
- Agricultural Biotechnology Companies
- Contract Research Organizations (CROs)
Global CRISPR Technology Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa