Cone-rod Dystrophy: Introduction
- Cone-rod dystrophy is a heterogeneous group of inherited retinal diseases characterized by cone photoreceptor degeneration, which could be followed by subsequent rod photoreceptor loss. These disorders typically present with progressive loss of central vision, color vision disturbance, and photophobia.
- Cone photoreceptor cells are present throughout the retina, but are concentrated in the central region (the macula). These are useful for central (reading) vision. Rod photoreceptor cells are present throughout the retina, except for the very center, and help with night vision.
- During the initial stages of the onset of disease, which typically occurs from childhood itself, a patient experiences difficulty with vision clarity, problems with color vision, and light sensitivity. As the disease progresses, blind spots in the field of vision can occur. These symptoms occur due to the progressive deterioration of cone photoreceptor cells. This is followed by a progressive loss of rod photoreceptor cells, which leads to a loss of side vision and night blindness.
- Cone-rod dystrophy is a genetically inherited disorder. Multiple genes can cause cone-rod dystrophies. Genes linked with this condition include ABCA4, CRX, GUCY2D, and RPGR.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Cone-rod Dystrophy Treatment Market
- Cone-rod dystrophy is a progressive disease. Diabetes is one of the major risk factors for cone-rod dystrophy. Rapid rise in the global diabetic population is anticipated to boost the growth of the global cone-rod dystrophy treatment market. High blood glucose can lead to diabetic retinopathy, in which the retinal blood vessels are damaged. This can accelerate the disease progression.
- Progression of eye disorders is faster in a diabetic person than in a non-diabetic. Lifestyle changes have led to an increase in the diabetes population, which in turn has driven the incidence of cone-rod dystrophy.
- Gene replacement therapy involves replacing a mutated gene, which causes the disease, with a healthy gene. It is a technique used to treat or prevent a particular disease caused by genetic mutation. In eye disorders such as cone-rod dystrophy and glaucoma, gene replacement therapy is used to improve visual capability in inherited retina disease. Gene replacement therapy and gene knockdown are presently being explored in inherited eye disorders by reversing the mutation.
- However, lack of disease awareness leading to slow or late diagnosis of patients in developing and under-developed countries is anticipated to hamper market growth during the forecast period
Surgery to Lead Global Market
- The global cone-rod dystrophy treatment market can be segmented based on treatment type, application, end-user, and region
- In terms of treatment type, the global market can be classified into gene therapy, stem cell therapy, surgery for retinal implants, and supportive therapies such as beta-carotenoids, lutein and zeaxanthin supplements, tinted lenses/ dark sunglasses, etc.
- Based on end-user, the global cone-rod dystrophy treatment market can be categorized into hospitals, ophthalmic centers, and research organizations & academic institutes.
Asia Pacific to be Lucrative Market for Cone-rod Dystrophy Treatment
- The global cone-rod dystrophy treatment market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Rapid economic development in India, China, Brazil, South Africa, and other countries in Asia and Latin America has increased the disposable income of people, thereby enhancing their purchasing power of health care services. Moreover, development of health care infrastructure and increase in medical expenditure by governments of these countries would contribute to the growth of the cone-rod dystrophy treatment market in the region.
Key Players Operating in Global Cone-rod Dystrophy Treatment Market
Leading players in the global cone-rod dystrophy treatment market include:
- GlaxoSmithKline plc
- Johnson & Johnson
- Pfizer, Inc.
- Novartis AG
- Abbott Laboratories
Global Cone-rod Dystrophy Treatment Market: Research Scope
Global Cone-rod Dystrophy Treatment Market, by Treatment Type
- Gene Therapy
- Stem Cell Therapy
- Surgery For Retinal Implants
- Supportive Therapies
Global Cone-rod Dystrophy Treatment Market, by End-user
- Ophthalmic Centers
- Research Organizations & Academic Institutes
Global Cone-rod Dystrophy Treatment Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa