Communicable Diseases Treatment Market: Introduction
- Communicable or infectious diseases are most commonly caused by infectious agents such as bacteria, fungi or parasites, and viruses. Moreover, some communicable diseases are spread through air, food or beverage contamination, surface contamination, and blood or bodily fluids. Furthermore, a bite from an infected animal could cause infectious disease.
- Hepatitis A, B, and C, blood-borne illnesses, measles, and HIV are some examples of communicable diseases
Key Drivers and Opportunities of Global Communicable Diseases Treatment Market
- Increase in incidence of infectious diseases such as diphtheria, hepatitis, and Lyme disease is anticipated to boost the growth of the global communicable diseases treatment market. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, an estimated 0.62 and 1.03 new cases of communicable disease per 100,000 population were recorded in the U.S. in 2016 and 2017, respectively.
- Moreover, rise in awareness and government initiatives to keep the nation safe from diseases are projected to fuel the growth of the global market. For instance, the National Institute of Communicable Diseases (NICD), established in 1909 in India, offers a Regional Training Program on the Prevention and Control of Communicable Diseases. The program is conducted once a year and is aimed at augmenting the capacity to understand diseases dynamics.
- Overuse of antibiotics leads to microbial resistance. Hence, introduction of new treatments and products is likely propel the global market. Industry players are engaged in the development of new products and investing in research & development. For instance, Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp. is one of the leading players operating in the market that maintains an active research and development program to address unmet medical needs in the prevention and treatment of infectious disease.
- Furthermore, strong pipeline for infectious diseases is anticipated to drive the global communicable diseases treatment market. According to the World Health Organization, an estimated 436 candidate products were in pipeline in 2018, of these 214 are vaccines, 90 are diagnostics, and 80 are medicines.
- Rise in prevalence & awareness about infectious diseases and government initiatives in developing countries present lucrative opportunities in the global market. For instance, Nepal and India entered into cross-border agreement for communicable diseases in order to promote information sharing, annual high level talks, and disease-specific technical working groups.
North America to Capture Major Share of Global Communicable Diseases Treatment Market
- North America is expected to account for major share of the global communicable diseases treatment market due to high prevalence of infectious diseases among the population. According to Annual Communicable Diseases Report (2018), an estimated 442 and 277 cases of hepatitis C and hepatitis A, respectively, were recorded in Montgomery County, the U.S.
- The communicable diseases treatment market in Asia Pacific is expected to grow at a rapid pace during the forecast period owing to rise in awareness and increase in cases of communicable diseases. According to OECD, in 2014, the incidence rate of airborne tuberculosis was 18 cases per 100,000 in Japan.
Key Players Operating in Global Communicable Diseases Treatment Market
The global communicable diseases treatment market is highly concentrated due to the presence of key players. A large number of manufacturers hold major share in their respective regions. Demand for communicable disease treatment products has increased in emerging as well as developed markets owing to rise in prevalence of infectious diseases. Growth strategies adopted by leading players are likely to drive the global market. For instance, in September 2018, Boehringer Ingelheim International GmbH announced collaboration with the Tsinghua University for research and development of immunological therapies for infectious diseases.
Major players operating in the global communicable diseases treatment market are:
- Janssen Pharmaceuticals (Johnson & Johnson)
- Novartis AG
- Merck & Co., Inc. (Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp)
- F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd
- Bayer AG
- GlaxoSmithKline plc
- Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited
- Jiangsu Simcere Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.
- Pfizer, Inc.
- Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
Global Communicable Diseases Treatment Market: Research Scope
Global Communicable Diseases Treatment Market, by Type
Global Communicable Diseases Treatment Market, by Mode of Transmission
- Direct Contact
- Person-to-person Contact
- Droplet Spread
- Indirect Contact
- Airborne Transmission
- Contaminated Objects
- Food & Drinking Water
Global Communicable Diseases Treatment Market, by Infectious Agent
Global Communicable Diseases Treatment Market, by Indication
- Hepatitis B/C
Global Communicable Diseases Treatment Market, by Distribution Channel
- Hospital Pharmacies
- Retail Pharmacies
- Online Pharmacies
Global Communicable Diseases Treatment Market, by Region
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa