Colonic Stents: Substitutes for Surgery
- A colonic stent can be defined as a hollow cylindrical tube that is made up of metal or an alloy which assists to keep the large bowel lumen open. In order to position the stent across the tight narrowing that has resulted in blockage, the stent is compressed tightly onto a small delivery wire. Once the colonic stent is opened, it releases the obstruction by keeping the colon open. The colonic stent may require up to 24 hours to be fully opened. Colonic stents can be used in case of partial or complete blockage in the bowel. It helps decrease the pressure in the bowel and thereby releases the obstruction. Colonic stents are used as an alternative when surgery is not recommended in order to keep the smooth functioning of bowel.
- The global colonic stents market is anticipated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period, owing to incessant rise in incidence of colorectal cancer in the U.S. and technological advancements linked with colonic stents
To Know More about TMRs Unique Offerings for Colonic Stents Market, Request a Brochure here
Key Drivers of Global Colonic Stents Market
- Increase in prevalence of colorectal cancer is one of the key drivers of the colonic stent market. Rise in prevalence of inherited syndromes and people with a history of inflammatory bowel disease (such as ulcerative colitis or Crohn’s disease) have led to corresponding growth in number of patients suffering from colorectal cancer. These are expected to be key factors driving the global colonic stents market during the forecast period.
- Technological advancements associated with colonic stents are also driving the colonic stent market. Use of self-expanding alloys in the manufacturing of stents has been increasing. This factor is expected to fuel the global colonic stents market during the forecast period.
- The colorectal cancer screening tests market is shifting from invasive monitoring devices to non-invasive monitoring devices. Despite various advantages of invasive colorectal cancer screening such as low cost, reliability, and accuracy, there is a certain risk of infection coupled with greater recovery time associated with these invasive devices. Due to such complications, non-invasive techniques are currently being developed as an alternative.
Nitinol Self-expandable Metal Stents Segment to Offer Attractive Opportunities
- Nitinol is the most popularly employed alloy in stents manufacturing that are used against acute colonic obstruction. Nitinol is a blend of nickel and titanium metals that results into amplified flexibility, which is useful for stenting sharply angulated regions with lesser radial force as compared to stents made with other metals. Furthermore, majority of market players choose Nitinol over any other available metal.
Complications Linked with Colonic Stents to Hamper Market
- Certain complications linked to colon stent placement include temporary incontinence, mild to moderate rectal bleeding, transient anorectal pain, and fecal impaction. Late complications related to self-expandable metallic stents (SEMS) mainly include re-obstruction and migration of the stent, and rarely perforation. This is likely to hinder the market during the forecast period.
Asia Pacific to Hold Major Share of Global Colonic Stents Market
- Asia Pacific is a leading consumer of colonic stents, followed by North America and Europe. China and India are key markets in the region, accounting for more than 30% share of the colonic stents market in the region.
- Increase in incidence of colorectal cancer and high demand for minimally invasive procedures in developing economies of Asia Pacific are likely to fuel the market in the region during the forecast period
- The colonic stents market in Middle East & Africa is estimated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period, followed by North America and Europe. This can be attributed to increase in investments in health care industry in the region.
Looking for Customized Insights to build your Business for Future, Ask for a Custom Report here
Key Players Operating in Global Market
The global colonic stents market is highly competitive with top manufacturers adopting various strategies for attaining maximum market share. These strategies include expansion of their geographical presence through collaborations and concentration on research & development activities for production of flexible and biocompatible stents. A few key players operating in the global colonic stents market are:
- Boston Scientific Corporation
- Cook Medical Inc.
- Olympus Corporation
Global Colonic Stents Market: Research Scope
Global Colonic Stents Market, by Type
- Self-expandable Metal Stents (SEMS)
- Nitinol Stents
Global Colonic Stents Market, by Indication
- Colorectal Cancer/Bridge to Surgery
- Benign Colonic Strictures
- Other Indications
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.