COVID-19 Impact on Cobalt Free Cathode Market
- On January 30, 2020, the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee of the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak a public health emergency of international concern. Originating in China, the virus has spread to at least 214 countries and territories around the world.
- Several governments and private sector businesses are operating at a limited capacity or have ceased operations completely due to recent events surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic
- Manufacture of various consumer goods and other products across the globe came to a halt due to the unavailability of raw materials, shortage of labor, etc. This is expected to hamper the cobalt free cathode market.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Cobalt Free Cathode Market
- Cobalt free cathode has major applications in the automotive industry. With the rise in the production of portable electronics and electric vehicles throughout the world, lithium-ion batteries are in high demand. Cobalt is a metal currently needed for cathode, which makes up a significant portion of a lithium-ion battery’s cost. Increasing demand for cobalt free cathode in the automotive industry is expected to fuel the global cobalt free cathode market in the next few years.
- Rapid development in the manufacture of commercial vehicles, passenger cars, electric vehicles, and motorcycles is further fueling the demand for cobalt free cathode in batteries. Apart from that, rise in utilization of energy storage applications is likely to result in increased consumption of cobalt free cathode during the forecast period.
Cobalt Free Cathode: Material Segment
- In terms of material, the global cobalt free cathode market can be segmented into cathode binders, aluminum foils, and cathode active materials
- The cathode binders material segment of the global cobalt free cathode market is projected to hold major share during the forecast period. Cathode binder materials includes styrene butadiene copolymer (SBR) and polyvinylidene fluoride (PVDF). It is used in cathode and anode electrode slurry making process for lithium-ion batteries. Binders such as SBR and PVDF hold the active material particles together and in contact with the current collectors, i.e. the aluminum foil (Al foil) or the copper foil (Cu foil).
- The aluminum foils segment is projected to follow the cathode binders material segment during the forecast period. Aluminum foils are used as cathode current collectors of secondary Li-ion batteries. High demand for aluminum foils in the automotive industry is driving the global cobalt free cathode market.
Cobalt Free Cathode: End-use Segment
- Based on end-use, the global cobalt free cathode market can be segmented into consumer electronics, automotive, industrial, and others
- The automotive segment is projected to gain higher share of the global market during the forecast period. The growth of this segment can be attributed due to the growth of the automotive sector in developing regions of the world. Hence, wide usage of cobalt free cathode in the automotive industry is expected to drive the cobalt free cathode market during the forecast period.
- The consumer electronics segment is projected to hold key share of the global cobalt free cathode market in the near future. Increase in sales of passenger cars and commercial vehicles is driving the demand for cobalt free cathode in the automotive industry.
Asia Pacific to Hold Leading Share of Cobalt Free Cathode Market
- In terms of region, the cobalt free cathode market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific is expected to hold major share of the global cobalt free cathode market, followed by Europe and North America during the forecast period. This can be attributed to the increase in GDP, led by the rising industrial activities, in Asia Pacific. China, Japan, and India are significant consumers of cobalt free cathode in the region.
- Demand for cobalt free cathode in the automotive industry in North America and Europe is projected to rise at a rapid pace in the near future
Key Manufacturers Operating in Cobalt Free Cathode Market
The cobalt free cathode market was consolidated in 2020. Major players have prominent presence in developed and developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the cobalt free cathode market include:
- Targray Technology International Inc.
- TexPower, Inc.
- NICHIA CORPORATION
- Metso Outotec
- SVOLT Energy
- Lithium Australia
- Deutsche Rohstoffagentur
- Morrow Batteries
- TÜV Nord
Cobalt Free Cathode: Research Scope
Cobalt Free Cathode Market, by Material
- Cathode Binders
- Aluminum Foils
- Cathode Active Materials
Cobalt Free Cathode Market, by End-use
- Consumer Electronics
Global Cobalt Free Cathode Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Cobalt Free Cathode: Introduction
- Cobalt free cathode is used in lithium-ion batteries, and is made with nickel, iron, and aluminum in the place of cobalt, which is significantly more expensive. Manufacture of the new cobalt-free cathode is seamless, as materials and their electrochemical behavior are nearly identical to those of current commercial products.
- Cobalt free cathode is used in batteries for a range of applications such as consumer electronics, electric vehicles, and storage for the energy grid
This upcoming business intelligence report is intended to be a one-stop market research solution to guide organizations in taking timely and effective decisions for their business growth. The ongoing study is the culmination of our deep expertise on data science methods, combined with an unparalleled understanding of the external environment and analysis of the industries. Each of the reports by TMR aims at offering a detailed scrutiny of the value chain of our current and prospective customers, takes them from identifying value propositions, and subsequently assist their business executives to implement right strategies to create customer value. We believe that creating and sustaining the customer value is the key pivot on which business executives can create profits for their organizations and increase the market shares, continuously and with sustainability.
Each of our touchpoints through which we engage with the organization/enterprise during the primary research enables us to understand the internal environment it operates in and the ways in which the external environment influences its growth.
Always Evolving with Competition
Excellence is built into the DNA of TMR, and all our teams work collaboratively and committedly toward achieving that in whatever they do. From the very first interaction our teams of research analysts have with any interested market participant to the final preparation processes in each of our reports reflects a rigorous understanding of the dynamic industry environment that businesses operate in.
We relentlessly work to be a differentiator in whatever we do in the current era of hypercompetitive global environment. The result of our unceasing focus on excellence is reflected clearly in the insights and guidance we offer to our customers in order to empower them to create brand equity. Our simple yet very powerful underpinning for navigating the competition is to always keep evolving with changing business environments. Our close-kinit team of research analysts not only believe in this simple philosophy but also implement the same.
Constantly Innovating Our Research Methodologies and Models
We do not limit with any specific market research tool or one standard approach for obtaining or analyzing data. Undoubtedly, our report making process is ever-evolving to meet the customer needs and demands supported broadly by a vast knowledge of data science methods that we combine with business acumen our teams have built upon for several years. Evidently, our primary and secondary research data about customers and consumers have shown that we can go to any lengths to obtain them. This is followed by applying next-gen automation tools integrated with human judgement to clear the clutter, ascertain the most relevant and recent qualitative and quantitative insights, and package them in digestible chunks in our reports for our customers.
We Take Pride in No-One-Size-Fits-All Approach
Over the past several years, we have been conducting market intelligence studies across all industries for all types of organizations — big and small, profit and not-for-profit, and Fortune 500 and Unicorns, as we believe that a sound decision making must be based on no-one-size-fits-all approach. Without doubt, each of the organizations regardless of the industry they are in are affected differently by changes in political, economic, socio-culture, legal, ecological, and legal environments. The research models and the value chain analysis process that our analysts employ for conducting the study uphold this approach.
We look at myriad components of internal and external business environment affecting the growth strategies of organizations. Some of the broader aspects that we focus on are:
- Our team of Analysts and Support Teams always strive to see the bigger picture in life cycle stages of any industry
- The Teams focus on obtaining valuable insights into different models of competitive advantage while making an internal environment analysis
- They keep on modifying the value chain analysis processes of organizations to understand on how customer value is created
Some areas of assessing market dynamics that are used in the research models and methodologies adopted by our analysts can be summarized as:
- Corporate and business strategies underlying new brand positioning strategies
- Mapping for strategic planning for business units
- Various metrics for business portfolio analysis, including BCG matrix
- Value chain analysis
These will help create and sustain competitive advantage for our prospects and current customers.
Key focus areas and agenda that underpin and catalyze our primary and secondary research initiatives and endeavors are:
- What are some of the core competencies and distinctive competencies of new entrants and established players in the industry we are analyzing?
- What are some of the branding opportunities that are emerging at a rapid pace?
- What are the major competitive forces and elements of external environment shaping the industry life cycle stages of most organizations?
- Why some competitive strategies are popular than others among leaders in a certain market?
- What customer-based brand equity strategies companies have leveraged in a certain industry or set of related industries in a sector?
- What are some of the key pricing strategies that companies in an industry are implementing for marketing their products internationally?
- Identifying whether market-push or market-pull strategies are more relevant to a certain product or a service?
Disclaimer: This ongoing market research study is a meticulously planned activity where a broad array of factors and aspects that shape the marketing environment and industry are taken into account. However, keeping in mind the constantly changing nature of business dynamics and changing strategic intents, we are always actively making iterations and modifications in our approaches. As always, we are ready to tailor our insights and guidance to suit your requirements. Engage with us to know what more is there for your CXOs.