CMP Pads: Introduction
- Chemical mechanical planarization (or polishing) [CMP] is an important step that is used for several times in the manufacturing process of semiconductors to remove excess materials at each layer of the wafer and to obtain a smooth surface
- This semiconductor manufacturing process is carried out with the help of a pad and slurry on a polishing tool. Pads and slurries are consumables used in the CMP process.
- CMP pads are used in the semiconductor industry to attain a balanced removal rate, planarization, and reduced defectivity performance
- Use of CMP pads is beneficial to produce small electronic components with accurate flat surface and polished wafers
- In the manufacture of CMP pads, various types of materials are used. These include silicon, silicon carbide, sapphire, gallium arsenide, and indium phosphide.
- CMP pads are used in several applications such as silicon wafer polishing, polishing glass and optics, and polishing special metals, plastics, and copper bulk
Get a glimpse of the in-depth analysis through our Report Brochure
Rise in Demand for CMP Pads in Semiconductor Industry
- Increasing focus on mobility, Internet of Things (IoT), product features, and long battery life is expected to raise the demand for high-performance devices available at an affordable price
- In order to manufacture consumer electronics products, multiple semiconductor devices that involve deposition or removal of several materials are used. In the semiconductor manufacturing process, CMP pads play an important role of producing smooth surface.
- Additionally, CMP pads are increasingly used for non-IC applications. For instance, to improve extraction of light from LEDs, CMP pads are employed for fabrication of micro lens arrays.
- As a result of these advantages, the demand for CMP pads for use in the semiconductor industry is increasing. This is expected to drive the global CMP pads market during the forecast period.
Increasing Use of MEMS Fueling Global CMP Pads Market
- A micro-electro mechanical system (MEMS) is a small machine that has both electronic and mechanical components with the dimensions ranging from a few millimeters to less than one micrometer
- MEMS products are used in multiple electronic applications across various end-use sectors such as automotive, aerospace & defense, healthcare, consumer electronics, and industrial
- Semiconductor devices employed in MEMS products such as pressure and air flow sensors, accelerometers, gyroscopes, inertial MEMSs, and micro relays are manufactured by using CMP pads
- Thus, increase in use of MEMS products in multiple end-use industries is expected to fuel the global CMP pads market during the forecast period
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report
North America to Lead Global CMP Pads Market
- In terms of region, the global CMP pads market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, South America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America is anticipated to dominate the global CMP pads market throughout the forecast period, as several manufacturers of CMP pads operate in North America, which are continually investing in the field of electronic components
- The CMP pads market in Europe and Asia Pacific is expected to expand at a substantial rate during the forecast period. On the other hand, the market in Middle East & Africa and South America is estimated to expand at a moderate rate during the forecast period.
Key Players Operating in Global CMP Pads Market
The global CMP pads market was highly fragmented in 2018. Major players operating in the global market are focusing on technological advancements and expansions to meet the risen demand for CMP pads. Moreover, manufacturers are entering into partnerships for the development of innovative products.
Key players operating in the global CMP pads market are:
- Anton Paar GmbH
- Cabot Microelectronics
- Crystec Technology Trading GmbH
- Eminess Technologies
- Kemet International Limited
- Logitech LTD
Global CMP Pads Market: Research Scope
Global CMP Pads Market, by Material
- Silicon Carbide
- Gallium Arsenide
- Indium Phosphide
Global CMP Pads Market, by Application
- Silicon Wafer Polishing
- Polishing Glass and Optics
- Polishing Special Metals
- Copper Bulk
Global CMP Pads Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- South America
- Rest of South America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.