Climbing Gym: A gym with climbing walls
- A climbing gym is an artificially constructed wall with grips for hands and feet for climbing. Climbing is getting popular and becoming more of a mainstream activity rather than a niche sport. Unlike regular gyms, climbing gyms help in burning calories (anywhere between 500 to 900 calories per hour). It also helps in building strength, power, and brings aerobic and anaerobic fitness levels to new heights.
Key Drivers of the Global Climbing Gym Market
- Rising popularity of outdoor sports and outdoor recreational activities worldwide is anticipated to proliferate the demand for climbing gyms. The concept of gym climbing is experiencing exponential growth in the last couple of years, especially in North America and Europe. According to Physical Activity Council and PHIT America, on an average, approximately 4.6 million Americans participate in either sport climbing, bouldering, or indoor climbing. As per data from the Climbing Business Journal, since 2015, the U.S. indoor climbing industry has grown at roughly 10% on a y-o-y basis. A similar scenario is seen in European countries. According to Association of British Climbing Walls, over 100,000 individuals participated in climbing walls in 2017 and the number is growing at an average of 15%-20% annually.
- Additionally, rising awareness about fitness and leading a healthy lifestyle owing to higher prevalence of obesity, diabetes, and various other health issues is attracting various demographics toward regular workouts. This is anticipated to boost the climbing gym market.
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF Brochure of this report
Inclusion toward gym climbing in international sports to provide growth opportunities
- Inclusion of sports climbing (bouldering, lead climbing, and speed climbing) in the Tokyo Olympics, 2020 is anticipated to create attractive opportunities for the growth of gym climbing in many Asian countries. Currently, Japan and China have considerable number of participants in one or more climbing activities. Inclusion of this sport is expected to help in popularizing the sport in many other Asian countries.
Lack of awareness coupled with high initial investment to hamper the growth of the gym climbing market
- Despite exponential growth in many North American and European countries, climbing gyms still lack a presence in many countries in Asia and Middle East & Africa. The main reason for slow growth in developing regions is high initial investment associated with climbing gym set ups. Climbing walls along with the equipment used such as high tensile ropes and lanyards are expensive. This leads to premium pricing. Developing regions being mostly price sensitive thus have low market attraction for climbing gyms, hampering the growth of the gym climbing market. Additionally, lack of awareness about proper usage of such expensive equipment and risk of accidents and injuries associated with climbing activities also hampers the growth of the climbing gym market.
North America and Europe still offer growth potential for the global climbing gym market
- Geographically, the global climbing gym market can be divided into five regions: North America (NA), Europe (EU), Asia Pacific (APAC), Middle East & Africa (MEA), and South America (SA).
- The U.S. commands a major chunk of the North American gym climbing market. Some of the prominent manufacturers of gym climbing are from the U.S. The U.K., Germany, and France are some of the prominent countries that have a substantial market for gym climbing in Europe.
- Developing regions such as Asia Pacific are anticipated to show promising growth in the gym climbing market in the upcoming years. China and other Southeast Asian countries are anticipated to drive the demand for gym climbing.
Looking for Regional Analysis or Competitive Landscape in Climbing Gym market, ask for a customized report
Key Players Operating in the Global Market
The global climbing gym market is moderately consolidated with presence of few players competing at the global level. Most of the players are concentrated in North America and Europe owing to huge popularity of the sport. A few of the key players operating in the global climbing gym market include:
- Boulderclub Kreuzberg
- Brooklyn Boulders LLC
- Climb So iLL
- Climbing Centre Group LTD
- DAV-Kletterund Boulderzentren München eV
- Go Nature H.K. Ltd.
- The Castle Climbing Centre
- The Glasgow Climbing Centre
- Vertical World, Inc.
Global Climbing Gym Market: Research Scope
Global Climbing Gym Market, by Type
- Outdoor Climbing Gym
- Indoor Climbing Gym
Global Climbing Gym Market, by Application
- Lead Climbing
- Top-Rope Climbing
Global Climbing Gym Market, by End-user
Global Climbing Gym Market, by Region
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
- South America
- Rest of South America
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.