Citral Market (Product Type: Natural and Synthetic; Application: Synthesis of Vitamin A & E, Lemon Essence, Menthol, and Other Citral Derivatives; and End Use: Cosmetics & Personal Care, Household Care, Laundry Detergents & Cleaners, Dishwashers, Pharmaceuticals, Food & Beverages, Air Care, and Others) – Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2020-2030
Press Release :
Demand for Household Care Products Help Revive Market Growth amidst COVID-19 Pandemic
The coronavirus pandemic is rewriting the nature of the global society. Temporary shutdown of factories has led to disruptions in the supply chain. Hence, manufacturers in the citral market are capitalizing on the demand for laundry detergents and dishwashers, since consumers have become increasingly aware about hygiene and sanitization measures. Manufacturers are diversifying their product offerings in air fresheners and aroma chemicals that are being commercialized in public places such as malls, boutiques, and in the hospitality industry.
Trade restrictions and travel bans have led to slowdown of the global economy and the citral market. Analysts at the Transparency Market Research (TMR) opine that the demand for citral-induced products will stabilize in the first quarter of 2021. As such, manufacturers are not severely affected by the COVID-19 pandemic, as citral has become customary in several end-use cases such as in household care products, food and beverages, and personal care products.
Request a sample to get extensive insights into the Citral Market
Growing Preference for Essential Oils Holds Promising Potential for Skin Treatment
Citral-containing essential oils are being used for the treatment of skin and mucosal infections. The antimicrobial activity of citral is well-documented in literature for the treatment of different medicines. However, natural compounds of citral are volatile in nature and have poor stability. As such, therapeutic properties of citral tend to offset its disadvantages. Companies in the citral market are researching about nanocarrier systems to induce natural compounds of citral in essential oils. With the help of nanocarriers, manufacturers are unlocking growth opportunities in drug delivery systems.
The likeliness toward lemongrass and lemon tea-tree oils is being witnessed in the citral market. Hence, manufacturers are increasing their production capacities using fractional distillation method to isolate citral from lemongrass oil.
To understand how our report can bring difference to your business strategy, Ask for a brochure
Plant-powered Formula Involving Citral and Coconut Boosts Uptake for Detergents
Hypoallergenic laundry detergents are bringing about a significant change in the citral market. For instance, Ecos— a manufacturer of sustainable and affordable cleaning products, is increasing its marketing capabilities to promote its lemongrass-based hypoallergenic laundry detergent that relies on plant-powered formula involving citral and sodium coco sulfate. Such innovative products are boosting the citral market, which is expected to reach a valuation of US$ 4.5 Bn by 2030. Manufacturers have entered the competition to produce hypoallergenic laundry detergents that lift stains, guard the color of fabrics, and brighten whites.
In order to increase the uptake of laundry detergents, manufacturers are incorporating built-in fabric softeners that help to clean delicate clothes. Citral derivatives are being combined with powerful cleaning properties of coconut in detergents.
Improvements in Extraction Strategies Increase Application Scope in Food and Pharma Industries
Apart from detergents and cleaners, manufacturers in the citral market are increasing their production capabilities in cosmetics, pharmaceutical products, and scents to expand their revenue streams. They are gaining proficiency in different manufacturing methods such as steam refining, solvent extraction, ultra sonication, and supercritical fluid extraction, among others, to gain competitive edge over other producers. For instance, BASF— a leading Germany-based chemical company, is focusing on producing aroma ingredients involving citral derivatives to expand their business in European and Asian countries, and the U.S.
Manufacturers in the citral market are increasing efforts to acquire ISO (International Organization for Standardization), Kosher, and Halal certificates to boost their credibility credentials. They are improving their extraction strategies to increase their application scope in food and pharma industries. Anticancer, anti-diabetic, and antimicrobial properties of citral are being preferred in cosmetics and personal care products.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on Citral Market
Citral hold promising potentials to innovate in antiviral drugs and aroma ingredients, owing to the unprecedented demand for medical supplements and air fresheners during the coronavirus. Manufacturers are developing natural flavoring compounds that are widely used in food, beverages, and cosmetics. However, in terms of volume, the citral market is estimated to progress at a sluggish CAGR of 3%, in terms of volume, during the assessment period, as natural citral compounds are volatile in nature and have poor stability. Hence, manufacturers should adopt nanocarrier systems to overcome the limitations of natural compounds and capitalize on business opportunities in essential oils and drug delivery systems. Hypoallergenic laundry detergents are gauging high consumer acceptance.
Citral Market: Overview
- Citral is an unsaturated liquid isomeric aldehyde that is used as perfumery and flavoring ingredient
- It is preferred for its distinct and lemon-like odor. Citral is a key component found in citrus fruit peel oil. It is a mixture of geranial and neral, which are monoterpene aldehydes. Citral is used in various applications such as cosmetics and food & beverages for its lemon aroma and flavor.
- Citral has strong antimicrobial qualities and pheromonal effects in insects. It is also used as a starting material in the synthesis of vitamin A & E, lemon essence, menthol, and aroma chemicals. Citral is used to give citrusy zing to fragrances and citrus flavor to soft drinks and sweets.
- Natural and synthetic are the two types of citral. Natural citral is produced from oils of citrus fruits, lemongrass, and various other plants. Synthetic citral is synthesized from isobutylene and formaldehyde.
- Rise in usage of citral in cosmetics & personal care products across the globe is expected to boost the global citral market during the forecast period
- Citral, sometimes also referred as lemonal, is either a mixture or a pair of terpenoids. Terpenoids are a large and multiple class of naturally occurring organic chemicals derived from terpenes. Terpenes are hydrocarbons; they consist completely of carbon and hydrogen, while terpenoids also contain additional functional groups.
- Growth of the cosmetics & personal care industry due to changing lifestyle of the people, urbanization, and rise in per capita disposable income are estimated to boost the citral market during the forecast period
- Increase in demand for citral in synthesis of Vitamin A & E and rise in awareness about health among the global population are expected to boost the demand for citral during the forecast period
Increase in Demand for Vitamins to Drive Global Citral Market
- The global citral market has been segmented based on product type, application, end use, and region. In terms of product type, the global citral market has been bifurcated into natural and synthetic.
- Synthetic is projected to be a highly lucrative segment of the global citral market during the forecast period. Majority of companies produce synthetic citral with the use of isobutylene and formaldehyde.
- In terms of application, the global citral market has been segregated into synthesis of vitamin A & E, lemon essence, menthol, and other citral derivatives
- Synthesis of vitamin A & E is projected to be a highly lucrative segment of the global citral market during the forecast period. Increase in demand for immunity boosters for overall health and wellness is driving the consumption of vitamin supplements. This is anticipated to propel the global demand for citral in the near future.
- Based on end use, the global citral market has been classified into cosmetics & personal care, household care, laundry detergents & cleaners, dishwashers, pharmaceuticals, food & beverages, air care, and others
- Pharmaceuticals is likely to be a highly lucrative segment of the global citral market during the forecast period. Growth in pharmaceutical and food & beverage industries in emerging economies (China, India, Japan, and ASEAN) and significant demand for health supplements are projected to augment the demand for citral in the near future.
Key Regional Highlights
- In terms of region, the global citral market has been split into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle & Africa
- Asia Pacific was the leading region of the global citral market in 2019, led by presence of developing economies, rise in income of the middle-class population, and increase in population in the region
- In terms of volume and value, Asia Pacific held significant share of the global citral market in 2019. It is projected to remain a highly lucrative region of the global citral market during the forecast period, due to rapid industrialization and rise in demand for citral for downstream processing of various aroma chemicals. China is a key country of the citral market in Asia Pacific, owing to the expansion of industries, such as pharmaceutical, food & beverages, and cosmetics & personal care, in the country.
- Growth of pharmaceutical and food & beverages sectors in North America, especially in the U.S., is projected to boost the citral market in the region during the forecast period. Thus, the U.S dominates the citral market in North America. Large amount of citral is sold in the U.S. for pharmaceutical applications.
Citral Market: Competition Landscape
- The global citral market is consolidated with the presence of international players
- Prominent players operating in the global citral market include
- BASF SE
- Zhejiang NHU Co. Ltd.
- Kuraray Co., Ltd.
- Takasago International Corporation
- Jiangxi Xinsen Nature Plant Oil Co., Ltd.
- Jiangxi Global Natural Spice Co., Ltd.
Citral Market – Scope of the Report
Transparency Market Research’s recent report on the global citral market provides readers with an assessment of the landscape of the market with the help of a comprehensive outlook. This study on the global citral market analyzes the market for the period from 2020 to 2030, wherein 2019 is the base year. The report enables readers to make important decisions regarding their business, with the help of a wealth of information enclosed in the study.
TMR’s study on the global citral market also provides data on developments made by important players and stakeholders in the market, along with a competition analysis. The report also provides understanding of drivers, restraints, opportunities, and market trends.
Key Questions Answered in Citral Market Report
- How much revenue is the global citral market expected to generate by the end of the forecast period?
- Which region currently accounts for the maximum share of the global citral market?
- What are the factors anticipated to drive the global citral market during the forecast period?
- Which is likely to be a highly lucrative region of the global citral market during the forecast period?
- What are the essential strategies adopted by key stakeholders of the global citral market to expand their geographical presence?
- What are major advancements in the global citral market?
This report answers these questions about the global citral market, aiding major stakeholders and key players in making correct decisions and strategizing for expansion of their business.
Citral Market: Research Methodology
This TMR report on the global citral market is based on a complete and comprehensive evaluation of the market, supported by secondary and primary sources. The competition scenario of the global citral market is supported by an assessment of different factors that influence the market on a minute and granular level. By thoroughly analyzing the historical data and current trends, researchers of the global citral market arrived at predictions and estimations and calculated the market forecast.
This report uses an analytical triangulation method to estimate the global citral market by using bottom-up and top-down approaches.
This detailed assessment of the global citral market, along with an overview of the market, is provided on the basis of a careful examination of growth opportunities. Analysts’ conclusions on how the global citral market is set to expand are based on carefully vetted primary and secondary sources.
Citral Market – Segmentation
This report on the global citral market segments the market based on application, product type, end use, and region. This study discusses underlying trends and impact of various factors that are driving the global citral market, along with their influence on growth of the market.The study also offers Porter’s Five Forces analysis and value chain analysis of the global citral market in order to elaborate on crucial growth strategies of players operating in the regional market.