Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF) Testing: Introduction
- Cerebrospinal fluid is a clear, colorless liquid that surrounds the spinal cord and provides a cushion and essential nutrients to the central nervous system.
- CSF is produced in the brain and is completely reabsorbed in the bloodstream. It flows around the brain and spinal cord. It primarily protects the spinal cord and brain from sudden impact or movements, and injury. It also removes the waste products from the brain and helps maintain proper functioning of the central nervous system.
- CSF testing is primarily done for the diagnosis and evaluation of a wide range of diseases and other medical conditions that affects the normal functioning of the brain and spinal cord.
- A series of parameters such as fluid pressure, proteins, glucose, red blood cells, microbes, proteins etc. are evaluated in CSF testing.
- Key applications of CSF testing are diagnosis of infectious diseases of the brain and spinal cord, brain tumor, autoimmune disorders, and central nervous disorders.
Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF) Testing Market: Key Drivers
- High prevalence and rise in incidence of various neurological disorders, chronic pain, autoimmune disorders, and brain tumor across the globe is estimated to drive the growth of the CSF testing market during the forecast period.
- According to the World Health Organization (WHO), around 50 million people across the globe are living with dementia. Out of the 50 million patient pool, around 60% of patients live in low and middle-income countries.
- It is also estimated that in 2016, around 330,000 cases of CNS cancer and 227,000 deaths occurred due to CNS cancer across the globe.
- Rapidly growing aging population who are at higher risk of developing neurological disorders is one of the key factors estimated to drive the growth of the Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF) testing market during the forecast period.
- However, lack of technical expertise to draw the CSF fluid in low and middle-income countries, and painful side effects etc. are factors likely to hamper the growth of the market in the near future.
Neurological Segment to Dominate the Market
- In terms of application, the global CSF testing market can be classified into brain tumor, neurological disorders, autoimmune disorder, central nervous system infectious disease, and others. The neurological disorders segment is projected to dominate the global CSF testing market during the forecast period.
- CSF testing is primarily conducted for the diagnosis and monitoring of neurological disorders. High prevalence and rise in incidence rate of neurological disorders owing to rapidly aging population is estimated to be the key contributing factor for the dominant share of the neurological segment during the forecast period.
Hospital Segment to Dominate the Market
- Based on end-user, the global CSF testing market can be classified into hospitals, diagnostic laboratories, and others. The hospital segment is projected to dominate the global market during the forecast period.
- CSF sampling requires technical expertise and other preparation, which is readily available in a hospital set up. Large number of sampling procedures that are performed at a hospital set up, large sample volume at these centers etc. are likely to contribute to dominant share of the segment during the forecast period.
Asia Pacific Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF) Testing Market to Expand Rapidly
- In terms of region, the global CSF testing market can be split into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America is likely to dominate the global CSF testing market during the forecast period. High prevalence and rise in neurological disorders, autoimmune disorders, and availability of technical expertise for safe sampling of CSF liquid in the region are key factors that are expected to boost the market in the region during the forecast period.
- The CSF testing market in Asia Pacific is anticipated to expand at a notable CAGR during the forecast period. Rapid expansion of the market in the region can be ascribed to a rise in the number of people suffering from neurological disorders and chronic pain in densely populated countries such as India and China, and improvement of healthcare infrastructure in the region.
- Significant expansion of the healthcare industry, easy access to healthcare facilities, and increase in investments in healthcare by leading players in Asia Pacific are expected to fuel the market in the region in the near future
Key Players Operating in Global Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF) Testing Market
The global CSF testing market is fragmented, with a large number of global players holding majority share. Prominent players operating in the global CSF testing market include:
- Abbott Laboratories
- Becton Dickinson and Company
- Eagle Biosciences, Inc.
- EUROIMMUN Medizinische Labordiagnostika AG
- Eurofins Scientific
- Abcam plc.
- Creative Diagnostics.
- BioFire Diagnostics.
- Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.
- DiaSorin Inc.
- RayBiotech, Inc.
- Quest Diagnostics
Global Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF) Testing Market: Research Scope
Global Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF) Testing Market, by Application
- Brain Tumor
- Neurological Disorder
- Autoimmune Disorder
- Central Nervous System Infectious Disease
Global Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF) Testing Market, by End-user
- Diagnostic Laboratories
Global Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF) Testing Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.