Cardiology Stents: Introduction
- Cardiology stents are tubes placed in the coronary artery to clear artery blockages or coronary artery stenosis. They are utilized in a procedure called percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) or coronary angioplasty.
- This procedure is a minimally invasive procedure to treat stenosis or narrowing of the coronary arteries. Technology plays an indispensable role in the global cardiology stents market. Manufacturers undertake rigorous research and development initiatives to develop nascent products that are functionally superior to their previous versions.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Cardiology Stents Market
Rise in number of dialysis centers across the world
- Changes in lifestyle and controlling rapidly rising obesity rate are major factors considered for the treatment of cardio vascular disease (CVD). Percutaneous coronary intervention has become a standard treatment option preferred across the globe for CVD.
- CVDs are listed as a major cause of mortality across the world, responsible for one in every three deaths in the U.S. According to the American Heart Association, coronary heart disease is a prominent cause of death, accounting for 45% of all the deaths in the U.S. occurring due to heart diseases each year.
- Occurrence of restenosis after angioplasty procedure boosts the adoption of novel stents, such as drug-eluting and bioresorbable, which are known to drastically reduce the frequency of restenosis
- Increase in awareness about the technological innovations in interventional cardiology and cost effectiveness of the procedure propel stents production
Are you a Start-up willing to make it big in the Business? Grab an Exclusive PDF Brochure of Cardiology Stents Market Report
Stringent Regulations for Product Approvals
- Approval of medical devices is considered to be expensive. Coronary stents fall under the category III devices of the U.S. FDA. These devices require submission and approval of pre-market approval (PMA) application prior to commercial marketing in the U.S.
- The requirements of clinical and pre-clinical data for stents engage the sponsor and manufacturer for a long period of time. Resources of manufacturers and investors such as time and money are spent on conducting safety testing and clinical pharmacology and toxicology testing of drug substance in case of DES. The FDA’s regulatory procedures are comparatively time-consuming as compared to that of EMA. Hence, commercialization of stents takes more time in the U.S. as compared to that in Europe.
- In 2011, Abbott Vascular received marketing approval for its first bioresorbable stent in Europe, while the same device received the FDA approval in the U.S. in 2016
- Hence, prolonged procedures of drug approval by regulatory authorities in the U.S. deter manufacturers from opting for development and commercialization of stents
Cardiology Stents Market: Segmentation
- In terms of product, the global cardiology stents market can be divided into bare metal stents, drug-eluting stents, bioresorbable stents, and others
- In terms of application, the global cardiology stents market can be split into coronary artery, carotid artery, iliac artery, and others
- Based on end-user, the global cardiology stents market can be segregated into hospitals, specialty clinics, and others
Expanding Operations in Future? To Get the Perfect Launch Ask for a Custom Cardiology Stents Market Report
Asia Pacific Cardiology Stents Market to Expand at a Rapid Pace
- In terms of region, the global cardiology stents market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America dominates the global cardiology stents market, followed by Europe and Asia Pacific nations such as Japan and China. High geriatric population, lifestyle changes leading to obesity and related health complications, and the advent of advanced technologies such as bio-absorbable and next generation stents are major factors driving the global cardiology stents market.
- However, high cost of coronary stents, lack of reimbursement policies in some regions, and complications such as in-stent restenosis or thrombosis are major factors restraining the global market. However, novel technologies in clinical trials to address the unmet needs and emerging economies such as China, India, Brazil and others are likely to offer significant opportunities to manufacturers operating in the market.
Leading Players Operating in Global Cardiology Stents Market
The global cardiology stents market was highly fragmented in 2019. Key players operating in the global cardiology stents market are:
- Boston Scientific Corporation
- BIOTRONIK AG
- Cardinal Health
- Cook Medical
- Lifetech Scientific
- Terumo Corporation
Global Cardiology Stents Market: Research Scope
Global Cardiology Stents Market, by Product
- Bare Metal Stents
- Drug-eluting Stents
- Bioresorbable Stents
Global Cardiology Stents Market, by Application
- Coronary Artery
- Carotid Artery
- Iliac Artery
Global Cardiology Stents Market, by End-users
- Specialty Clinics
Global Cardiology Stents Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note:Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.