Calcium Carbide Market
Calcium Carbide Market (Application: Desulfurizing Agent, Acetylene Gas, Reducing Agent, Calcium Cyanamide, Chemical Intermediate, and Others; and End Use: Steel Manufacturing, Agrochemical, Pharmaceutical, Metal Fabrication, Construction Material, Energy & Power, Others) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2021-2031
Press Release :
Rising Use of CaC2 in Various Useful Compounds Boosts Calcium Carbide Market
Calcium carbide (CaC2) when pure is a transparent and colorless compound with a molecular weight of 64.0992 g/mol. It can be produced in a laboratory by thermal decomposition under a vacuum of pure calcium cyanimide in the presence of carbon to produce white calcium carbide. Pure calcium carbide is varied, and universal properties of calcium carbide have been determined by extrapolation from grades obtained on high-purity commercial carbide. One of the applications of CaC2, calcium cyanamide is produced by passing nitrogen through powdered calcium carbide in an electric arc furnace. An increase in the demand for calcium cyanamide is expected to drive the calcium carbide market during the forecast period.
Acetylene, produced by a reaction of calcium carbide (CaC2) with water (H2O), is a key building block for organic chemistry and has the potential to be involved in a diverse range of synthetic transformations. Acetylene is used principally in the synthesis of a series of organic chemicals, resins, and plastics, and in oxyacetylene welding and cutting of metals. Large amounts of carbide are also made for the production of calcium cyanamide by the fixation of atmospheric nitrogen. Acetylene, used in various applications, has witnessed a surge in the demand in global industries. Thus, the global calcium carbide market is expected to witness a rise in demand during the forecast period.
To gauge the scope of customization in our reports Ask for a Sample
Heavy Slump in Growth of End-use Industries Hampers Calcium Carbide Market amid Pandemic
COVID-19 is an unexpected global public health emergency that has transformed almost every industry, and the long-term effects of such a crisis are projected to dwindle industry growth during the forecast period. The ongoing research amplifies the research framework to ensure the inclusion of underlying COVID-19 issues and potential paths forward. The advent of COVID-19 has complicated the situation by depressing the steel, agrochemical, construction material, and others with disrupted existing supply chains. These industries are part of a broad ecosystem, with the raw material inputs in oil, gas, coal, minerals, and bio-based materials on one side and a broad swath of application sectors on the other. The decline in the growth in these industries is hampering the growth of the global calcium carbide market.
The rise in oil, gas, and chemical companies and the deployment of digital technologies have been principally managed by efficiency profits and increased reliability. Superior market sensing, improved optimization of operations, and rising use of in silico simulations designed positive results for many businesses across these industries. With the sudden arrival of COVID-19 and following the closure of manufactories and work sites, businesses’ existing digital technologies granted an advantage; but, in many cases, were still not sufficient for the level of remote working and cybersecurity that was abruptly necessary. However, with increasing production and distribution of the COVID-19 vaccines, and increasing government investments in healthcare and other struggling industries, the global calcium carbide market is expected to overcome the losses shortly.
Get an idea about the offerings of our report from Report Brochure
Variety of CaC2 Applications in Growing Sectors Enhances Global Demand
The applications and uses of calcium carbide are growing rapidly with innovations in industrial products. Calcium carbide is popularly used in iron desulfurization, which are cast iron, pig iron, and steel. Moreover, calcium carbide can be used in carbide lamps. The dripping of water on the carbide delivers acetylene gas, which, in turn, burns and provides light. Moreover, calcium carbide is also utilized in producing polyvinyl chloride as acetylene, which is the derivative of calcium carbide and used as a raw material for PVC production. Furthermore, it can be used in the elimination of sulfur from iron. The removal of sulfur from any material is referred to as desulphurization. With several other uses and applications of calcium carbide, the global calcium carbide market is expected to cross US$ 31 Bn by 2031, expanding at a CAGR of ~5% during the forecast period.
Looking for Regional Analysis or Competitive Landscape in Calcium Carbide Market for Performance OEM , ask for a customized report
Calcium carbide is increasingly being used in the production of acetylene, calcium cyanamide, toy cannons, carbide lamps, and other organic chemicals. It is also popular in the use of desulfurization, slag conditioning, and furnace injection applications during steel production. Presently, CaC2 is majorly used in the generation of acetylene gas, which is further used for the production of polyvinyl chloride (PVC). Apart from its industrial use, calcium carbide is commonly used in domestic environments for unclogging of drains as well as the ripening of fruits. However, the chemical reaction of CaC2 generates heat, which can induce burn and damage to mucosa, skin, and eyes on contact. Therefore, several governing bodies have banned the usage of calcium carbide to ripen fruit. However, with increasing investments in research and development, the global calcium carbide market is expected to overcome such restraints.
Calcium Carbide Market: Overview
- Calcium carbide (CaC2) is manufactured by heating a lime and carbon mixture between 2000°C and 2100°C (3632 to 3812°F) in an electric arc furnace. The lime is reduced by carbon to calcium carbide and carbon monoxide (CO). Calcium carbide, CaC2 when pure, is transparent and colorless, with a specific gravity of 2.22 at 180°C.
- Calcium carbide is prepared in the laboratory by thermal decomposition under vacuum of pure calcium cyanamide in the presence of carbon to produce white calcium carbide. Commercially, calcium carbide varies in color from steel-gray to reddish brown, depending on impurities and the method of manufacture. Industrial calcium carbide is about 80% pure. It reacting with water to produce acetylene gas.
- Calcium carbide is an inorganic compound with the following primary commercial applications: production of calcium cyanamide (a nitrogen fertilizer), generation of acetylene, and usage in the iron (foundry) and steel industries as a desulfurization reagent. Thus, rise in demand for calcium carbide in end-use industries is estimated to drive the market. However, stringent government regulations and high manufacturing cost are likely to hamper the market.
- Calcium carbide is the primary source of acetylene, which is used principally in the synthesis of a series of resins, organic chemicals, and plastics, and in oxyacetylene cutting and welding of metals. Calcium carbide is also employed as a dehydrating agent, and reducing and desulfurizing agent in metallurgical processes.
Key Growth Drivers of Calcium Carbide Market
- Recovery of the steel industry is expected to boost the calcium carbide market during forecast period. Construction and transportation industries have been experiencing significant contraction during the COVID-19 pandemic. The outbreak of COVID-19 is likely to force several short-term and long-term consequences for the construction industry. This is anticipated to adversely affect the demand for crude steel.
- Steel is used in the building & construction industry, owing to its superior properties such as durability and ductility. It helps make buildings earthquake-resistant. Increase in number of high-speed trains in countries such as China, Japan, and India has led to the construction of special railroads, thereby increasing the consumption of carbon steel. In turn, this is expected to boost the demand for crude steel, thereby driving the calcium carbide market during forecast period.
- Recovery in production of steel in the top 10 producing countries has led to an increase in the use of calcium carbide as a desulfurizing reagent
Key Challenges of Calcium Carbide Market
- Dearth of universal directives pertaining to applications of Calcium Carbide is estimated to hamper the market in the near future. Every country has different directives and legislations pertaining to the use of calcium carbide. Companies find it difficult to comply with these country-wise directives and legislations. This can discourage investment in the calcium carbide market, thereby restraining the global market growth.
- High cost of raw materials is expected to hamper the market during the forecast period. Raw materials such as lime and carbon mixture, calcium carbide, and carbon monoxide, and cyanamide are used in the preparation of calcium carbide. The cost of these raw materials is high. This is leading to an increase in the production cost of calcium carbide, thus hampering the market.
Lucrative Opportunities for Players in Calcium Carbide Market
- The exothermic reaction of calcium carbide and water produces acetylene, which is the most important use of calcium carbide
- Acetylene is also used as cylinder gas for metal fabrication and construction. It is employed as intermediate in the production of cosmetics, tableted drugs, and antiseptics, and as a feedstock in the preparation of vinyl chloride, and polyurethane fibers.
- Demand for hair care products and cosmetics has been rising significantly since the past few decades. Various ingredients are used to enhance the texture and quality of hair care products. The most common ingredients in many hair care products are conditioning agents and hair fixing agents. Acetylene is widely used in making aerosol and non-aerosol hairsprays. These hair sprays are engineered to meet the growing need for stiffer, harder, holding products. Rise in usage of these pharma and cosmetics is anticipated to provide lucrative opportunities for players operating in the calcium carbide market.
Leading Players in Calcium Carbide Market
- Key players such as
- ALMAMET GMBH
- Rexarc International, Inc.
- Donau Chemie AG
- Lonza Group AG
- Denka Company Limited
- Carbide Industries LLC
- MCB Industries SDN BHD
- Iran Carbide
- SA Calcium Carbide
- are focusing on expanding their global footprint through strategic capital allocation and increasing production capacity
- Players operating in the global calcium carbide market are adopting various organic and inorganic growth strategies such as mergers & acquisitions, new product launches, strategic collaborations, expansions, and joint ventures to enhance their product portfolio and business operations
Calcium Carbide Market – Scope of Report
The latest study collated and published by Transparency Market Research (TMR) analyzes the historical and present-day scenario of the global calcium carbide market to gauge its growth potential. The study presents detailed information about important growth factors, restraints, and key trends that are creating a landscape for the growth of the global calcium carbide market. The study also identifies growth avenues for stakeholders. The report provides insightful information about how the global calcium carbide market is likely to expand during the forecast period of 2021 to 2031.
The report offers intricate dynamics about different aspects of the global calcium carbide market that aid companies operating in the market in making strategic decisions. TMR’s study also elaborates on significant changes that are highly anticipated to configure the growth of various industries with respect to the global calcium carbide market during the forecast period. It also includes a key indicator assessment to highlight growth prospects of the global calcium carbide market and estimates statistics related to growth of the market in terms of volume (tons) and value (US$ Mn).
This study covers a detailed segmentation of the global calcium carbide market, along with key information and a competition landscape. The report mentions company profiles of key players operating in the global calcium carbide market, wherein various development, expansion, and winning strategies practiced and executed by leading players have been presented in detail.
Key Questions Answered in TMR’s Report on Calcium Carbide Market
The report provides detailed information about the global calcium carbide market on the basis of a comprehensive research on various factors that are playing a key role in accelerating the growth of the market. Information mentioned in the report answers path-breaking questions for companies that are currently operating in the market and are looking for innovative methods to create a unique benchmark in the global calcium carbide market that would help them design successful strategies and make target-driven decisions.
- Which application segment is expected to generate maximum revenue in the global calcium carbide market during the forecast period?
- Which end use segment of the global calcium carbide market would emerge as a leading revenue generator during the forecast period?
- What would be the Y-o-Y growth rate of the global calcium carbide market between 2021 and 2031?
- What are winning imperatives of frontrunners in the global calcium carbide market?
Research Methodology – Calcium Carbide Market
The research methodology adopted by analysts for compiling the report on the global calcium carbide market is based on detailed primary as well as secondary research. With the help of in-depth insights of the market-affiliated information that is obtained and legitimated by market-admissible sources, analysts have offered riveting observations and authentic forecasts of the global calcium carbide market.
For primary research, analysts have interviewed market stakeholders, investors, brand managers, vice presidents, and sales and marketing managers. Based on data obtained through interviews of genuine sources, analysts have emphasized the changing scenario of the global calcium carbide market.
For secondary research, analysts have scrutinized numerous annual report publications, white papers, market association publications, and company websites to obtain the necessary understanding of the global calcium carbide market.
Calcium Carbide Market – Segmentation
TMR’s research study segments the global calcium carbide market in terms of application, end use, and region. This report presents extensive market dynamics and growth trends associated with different segments and explains how they are influencing the growth of the global calcium carbide market.