Blood Warmers Market: Introduction
- Drop in the body core temperature to 36°C or lower is known as hypothermia. It occurs in 50%-90% of all operated patients. This temperature drop can be attributed to cold operating tables, lack of pre-warming, cold ambient temperatures, and use of anesthetic drugs as well as unheated blood products. Also, unheated infusion solutions and blood transfusions at approximately 4°C can reduce the body core temperature by approximately 0.25°C/unit.
- Hypothermia can lead to sluggish wound healing and longer hospital stays. This hampers the hospital budget and increases the use of expensive drug treatment.
- Blood warmers are applied to keep the patient’s body temperature at around 37°C before, during, and after surgery. These devices are intended to deliver peripheral warmth to the arterial piping, which helps keep the blood warm.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Blood Warmers Market
- The global blood warmers market is primarily driven by increase in the number of surgical procedures, rise in the number of suppliers of blood warmers, and high rate of adoption of portable blood warmers
- Additionally, rise in geriatric population, increase in awareness about hypothermia, and focus on reducing the incidence of deaths caused by hypothermia are expected to fuel the global market during the forecast period
- On the other hand, the market is likely to be restrained by product recalls in the near future. In June 2019, Vyaire Medical initiated a recall of enFlow disposable cartridges used with enFlow fluid warmer devices. The company recalled the product, as there was a risk of aluminum to be eluted from the warmer into the fluids, leading to exposure of patients to unsafe levels of aluminum.
Systems Segment to Account for a Major Share of Global Market
- Based on product, the global blood warmers market can be classified into systems and accessories. The systems segment can be sub-divided into dry heat plate warmers and intravenous fluid tube warmers.
- The systems segment is anticipated to dominate the global market during the forecast period, due to large patient population, increase in usage of blood warmers, and rise in the demand for blood warmer systems in blood banks
Portable Devices Segment to Gain a Major Share of Global Market
- Based on modality, the global blood warmers market can be classified into portable and stationary. The portable segment is projected to gain market share between 2019 and 2027, due to ease of use and convenience offered by portable devices and increasing preference for them over stationary devices.
Hospitals Segment to Offer Significant Opportunities
- In terms of end-user, the global blood warmers market can be segmented into hospitals & clinics, ambulatory surgical centers, blood banks & transfusion centers, tissue banks, and home care
- The hospitals segment is expected to account for a major share of the global blood warmers market by 2027. The segment is likely to be driven by increase in use of blood warmers in emergency units, inpatient rooms, and intensive care units of hospitals. Also, increase in the number of guidelines about use of blood warming devices and rise in the need to ensure patient safety are projected to promote growth of the segment during the forecast period.
North America to Dominate Global Blood Warmers Market
- In terms of region, the global blood warmers market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa. North America is projected to dominate the global blood warmers market during the forecast period.
- Technological advancements, presence of prominent market players, and increase in the demand for portable blood warmers are expected to drive the market in North America during the forecast period
Key Players Operating in Global Market
The global blood warmers market is highly fragmented, with a large number of domestic players accounting for a major market share. Key players operating in the global blood warmers market are:
- GENERAL ELECTRIC COMPANY
- Smiths Medical
- CELSIUS Medical
- Geratherm Medical AG
- Stihler Electronic GmbH
- VYAIRE MEDICAL INC
- Belmont Instrument, LLC
- EMIT CORPORATION
- Keewell Medical Technology Co., Ltd.
- QinFlow Ltd
Global Blood Warmers Market: Research Scope
Global Blood Warmers Market, by Type
- Dry Heat Plate Warmers
- Intravenous Fluid Tube Warmers
Global Blood Warmers Market, by Modality
Global Blood Warmers Market, by Distribution Channel
- Hospitals & Clinics
- Ambulatory Surgical Centers
- Blood Banks & Transfusion Centers
- Tissue Banks
- Home Care
Global Blood Warmers Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa