Bioplastic Textiles Market
Bioplastic Textiles Market (Material: Polytrimethylene Terephthalate [PTT], Polyamide [PA], Polyethylene Terephthalate [PET], Polylactic Acid [PLA], and Others; Source: Sugarcane, Beet, Corn Starch, Cassava, and Others; and Application: Home Textiles, Clothing, Footwear, and Others) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2019 - 2027
Press Release :
Sugarcane Remains Preferred Raw Material for Manufacturers of Bioplastic Textiles
Innovation in technology has led to sugarcane being used in the production of bioplastics in many places around the world. There are several sources of raw materials for the manufacture of bioplastic textiles, including sugarcane, beet, corn starch, and cassava, among others, of which, sugarcane holds the largest share of the global bioplastic textiles market. The benefits offered by sugarcane polyethene, which is not only carbon negative, but also a renewable resource, has led to its increased interest and popularity in recent years. In 2018, sugarcane, as a source, accounted for ~34% of the total volume share in the global bioplastic textiles market, which is expected to increase to ~36%, with sales of ~148 thousand tons by 2027.
Following sugarcane closely is the corn starch segment, which accounted for one-fourth of the total share of the bioplastic textiles market, by volume, and is anticipated to expand 3X by the end of the forecast period in 2027. The popularity of this segment can be attributed to the fact that, corn starch bioplastics are biodegradable and have less of a negative impact on the environment.
To gauge the scope of customization in our reports Ask for a Sample
PTT and PLA to Stay Materials of Choice for Production of Bioplastic Textiles
Polytrimethylene terephthalate (PTT) and polylactic acid (PLA) have become popular choices for the commercial manufacturing process of bioplastics, globally. These materials are highly elastic and have high resistance to abrasion and wrinkles, which contributes to their popularity and widespread adoption in the manufacturing process. PTT, which finds application mainly in bioplastic textiles and carpets, is not only flexible and elastic, but fibers made from PTT exhibit superior strength too. This segment was valued at ~US$ 210 Mn in 2018, a figure that is expected to grow 1.5X by the end of the forecast period.
PLA, which accounted for around one-fourth of the revenue share of the global bioplastic textiles market, is expected to expand at a value CAGR of ~13% over the forecast period, and hit the ~US$ 330 Mn mark by the end of 2027. PLA is completely degradable under compost conditions, which has contributed significantly to its acceptance and use for textiles.
Get an idea about the offerings of our report from Report Brochure
High Manufacturing Cost of Bioplastic Textiles to Restrain Market
Even as bioplastic textiles are gaining popularity around the world with a myriad of applications, factors such as high cost that is associated with the manufacturing process have been instrumental in hampering the growth of the global market as far as revenue is concerned. Reduction of production cost remains a big challenge for manufacturers in the market, as the prices of the raw materials and enzymes used are considerably high. This restraint can also be attributed to the scale of production, as the current global capacity of bioplastic textiles is still significantly lower than that of conventional plastics, which can also have a restraining effect on the global market.
Opportunities Abound for Manufacturers in APAC
The regional bioplastic textiles market in Europe was valued at ~US$ 260 Mn in 2018, and is expected to expand at a CAGR of ~12% over the forecast period. This can be attributed to the presence of a large number of manufacturers of bioplastic textiles in the region, coupled with stringent laws that push for greener alternatives to plastic, both of which have had a positive impact on the growth of the bioplastic textiles market in the region.
However, expanding at a robust value CAGR of ~14%, APAC is quickly emerging as a lucrative regional market with a plethora of opportunities for players in the global bioplastic textiles market. This can be attributed to the impressive growth of the clothing and apparel sector in the region, which has, in turn, positively impacted the increased demand for bioplastic textiles. In 2018, APAC accounted for less than one-fourth of the total market share by revenue, but is expected to hold ~30% of the share by 2027.
Looking for Regional Analysis or Competitive Landscape in Bioplastic Textiles Market, ask for a customized report
Bioplastic Textiles Market: Analysts’ Overview
According to analysts at Transparency Market Research, the global bioplastic textiles market is set to expand at a robust pace during the forecast period of 2019 - 2027. This can be attributed to the increasing demand for biodegradable and sustainable alternatives for plastic, globally. Players in the bioplastic textiles market, focusing on process innovation to develop cost-efficient bioplastic manufacturing processes, that also reduce the negative impact on the environment, are expected to maximize profits during the forecast period.
With bioplastic textiles nowadays being produced that not biodegradable all the way, consumer demand for fully-compostable bioplastic textiles remains the focus of manufacturers in the market. Players addressing this issue of fully compostable, degradable plastics would be set to gain a competitive edge in the market.
Bioplastic Textiles Market: Description
- Bioplastics textiles are derived from renewable biomass, which includes polymers that meet the specific standards for biodegradability and compostability.
- Bioplastic textiles are usually made of plant materials. Enzymes are used to break starch into glucose, and subsequently, they are fermented to obtain lactic acid. This lactic acid is polymerized and converted into bioplastics.
- High demand for textile and non-woven fibers is a driving factor for the global bioplastic textiles market. Bio-based plastics, such as PLA, PHA, PET, PTT, and PA, can easily replace synthetic fibers used in textiles and other applications.
- The global bioplastic textiles market is projected to expand at a high CAGR of ~12% over the forecast period.
Key Growth Drivers of Global Bioplastic Textiles Market
- Bioplastics are alternatives for conventional plastic materials. Increase in the use of bioplastics in textiles is attributable to the rise in the demand for sustainable products among costumers, led by the surge in awareness about the impact of plastic on the environment, and the need to reduce dependency on fossil fuels.
- Continuous innovations and advancements in the global bioplastic textiles market for the development of new materials with improved properties and new functionalities are also driving the global bioplastic textiles market. High rate of adoption from costumers’ side is an external factor driving the global bioplastic textile market. Moreover, the effects of climate change, led by pollution and CO2 emissions, and increase in the prices of fossil fuels, are driving the demand for bioplastic textiles across the world.
- Bioplastic textile is an efficient and technologically-advanced material. Bioplastic textiles are able to redress the balance between the environmental impact and the environmental benefit of plastics. In various demonstrations, it has been observed that, bioplastic textiles significantly reduce CO2 emissions as compared to those emitted by conventional plastics.
- Furthermore, consistent research & development of bioplastic textiles and rise in the awareness about protection of the environment are boosting the global bioplastic textiles market. Additionally, stringent regulatory reforms by several governments for reduction in plastic usage have augmented the demand for bioplastic textiles.
- Consequently, the global bioplastic textiles market has expanded at a significant rate over the last few years, due to adherence to various green initiatives, norms, and regulations about carbon emissions. This is further driving the adoption of bioplastic textiles in place of petroleum-based plastic textiles.
Key Challenges for Global Bioplastic Textiles Market
- One of the most primary barriers to the growth of the global bioplastic textiles market is that, these textiles are more expensive for manufacture as compared to their petro-plastic equivalents, which leads to higher prices of end products. For instance, the prices of PHA plastics are three times higher than those of polypropylene. Thus, the cost of raw materials determines the production cost.
- In case of bioplastic textiles, a significant challenge faced by manufacturers is reduction in the cost associated with large quantities of glycoside hydrolase enzymes required to convert lignocellulose into fermentable sugars. These enzymes are generated in a dedicated process, which is expensive. This contributes significantly to raw material costs.
- Extraction of fermentable sugar from lignocellulosic biomass is still a major challenge for the bio-based plastic industry. Lignocellulosic bio-refineries are coming up with new operation techniques to be used in commercial as well as demonstration phases.
- The prices of bioplastics fluctuate consistently, as they depend not only on the volume but also the amount of bioplastics produced.
Lucrative Opportunities for Players in Global Bioplastic Textiles Market
- Polylactic acid (PLA) is presently a highly important bioplastic textile used around the world. PLA primarily contains lactic acid, and it is made by the microbial fermentation of starch, which is usually obtained from maize, potatoes, cassava, sugarcane, or sugar beet.
- PLA plastic appears similar to conventional petrochemical plastic. Also, it is biodegradable. Moreover, major advantages offered by PLA plastic include high level of rigidity, transparency, thermoplasticity, and superior performance over conventional plastic.
- Furthermore, the production of PLA plastic requires 33% of the energy required for manufacture of fossil-fuel-based plastics. PLA plastic also emits 70% less greenhouse gases (GHGs) as compared to those emitted by conventional plastic during degradation in landfills. PLA plastic is utilized in a wide array of applications, ranging from textiles and medical to household.
Europe to Dominate Global Bioplastic Textiles Market
- Europe is a major consumer of bioplastic textiles. Europe is working very closely with bioplastic manufacturers, policymakers in the European Union (EU), and other groups to ensure secure policies and framework. This is leading to the growth of the bioplastic textiles market in the region.
- Furthermore, Europe works as a knowledge partner as well as business network for companies and experts operating in the bioplastic textiles market. Clothing is an important application segment of the bioplastic textiles market in Europe. It accounts for nearly 44% share of the market in the region. In Europe, bioplastic textiles are used in the manufacture of men’s wear and women’s wear.
Leading Players in Global Bioplastics Industry
- The global bioplastics industry is dominated by a small number of players. The top three players - Ercros S.A., BASF SE, and Natureworks LLC - held ~40% share of the global industry in 2018.
- Companies are continuously focusing on research & development to improve their product quality, utilize their products in new applications, and gain higher share in the global bioplastic textiles market.
Bioplastic Textiles Market - Scope of the Report
A latest study collated and published by Transparency Market Research (TMR) analyzes the historical and present-day scenario of the global bioplastic textiles market, to gauge its growth potential. The study presents detailed information about important growth factors, restraints, and key trends that are creating a landscape for the future growth of the global bioplastic textiles market and identifies growth avenues for stakeholders. The report also provides insightful information about how the global bioplastic textiles market is likely to expand during the forecast period, i.e. 2019 - 2027.
The report offers intricate dynamics about different aspects of the global bioplastic textiles market that aid companies operating in the market in making strategic decisions. TMR’s study also elaborates on significant changes that are highly anticipated to configure the growth of the clothing industry with respect to the global bioplastic textiles market during the forecast period. It also includes a key indicator assessment to highlight the growth prospects of the global bioplastic textiles market, and estimates statistics related to growth of the market in terms of value (US$ Mn) and volume (tons).
This study covers a detailed segmentation of the global bioplastic textiles market, along with key information and a competition landscape. The report mentions the company profiles of key players operating in the global bioplastic textiles market, wherein, various developments and expansions, and winning strategies practiced and executed by leading players have been presented in detail.
Key Questions Answered in TMR’s Report on Global Bioplastic Textiles Market
The report provides detailed information about the global bioplastic textiles market on the basis of comprehensive research on various factors that are playing a key role in accelerating the growth of the market. Information mentioned in the report answers path-breaking questions for companies that are currently operating in the market and are looking for innovative methods to create a unique benchmark in the global bioplastic textiles market that would help them design successful strategies and make target-driven decisions.
- Which material segment of the global bioplastic textiles market would emerge as a leading revenue generator during the forecast period?
- How are key market players successfully earning revenue out of the advantages of bioplastic textiles over conventional textiles?
- What would be the Y-o-Y growth rate of the global bioplastic textiles market from 2019 and 2027?
- What are the winning imperatives of frontrunners in the global bioplastic textiles market?
- Which application segment is expected to generate maximum revenue in the global market for bioplastic textiles during the forecast period?
Research Methodology – Global Bioplastic Textiles Market
The research methodology adopted by analysts for compiling the report on the global bioplastic textiles market is based on detailed primary as well as secondary research. With the help of in-depth insights of the market-affiliated information that is obtained and legitimated by market-admissible resources, analysts have offered riveting observations and authentic forecasts of the global bioplastic textiles market.
For primary research, analysts have interviewed market stakeholders, investors, brand managers, vice presidents, and sales and marketing managers. On the basis of data obtained through interviews of genuine resources, analysts have emphasized the changing scenario of the global bioplastic textiles market.
For secondary research, analysts have scrutinized numerous annual report publications, white papers, market association publications, and company websites to obtain the necessary understanding of the global bioplastic textiles market.
Global Bioplastic Textiles Market - Segmentation
TMR’s research study segments the global bioplastic textiles market in terms of material, source, application, and region. This report presents extensive market dynamics and growth trends associated with different segments, and explains how they are influencing the growth of the global bioplastic textiles market.