Biomarker in Irritable Bowel Diseases Diagnostic Market: Introduction
- Irritable or Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) is a chronic disease, which is used to describe disorders that involve chronic inflammation of the digestive tract. Types of IBD include ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease. Fecal and serologic biomarkers can be used in the diagnosis and management of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD).
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF Brochure of this report
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Biomarker in Irritable Bowel Diseases Diagnostic Market
- High prevalence of IBD boost the market. In Europe, an estimated 2.5 to 3 million people are affected by inflammatory bowel disease per year. Highest incidence and prevalence of IBD is observed in Scandinavia and the U.K. According to IBD Support Australia Incorporated, around 61,000 people in Australia are affected by inflammatory bowel disease, of which around 28,000 people are affected by Crohn’s disease and 33,000 are affected by ulcerative colitis.
- Newer biomarkers are expected to offer significant opportunities. According to a study presented at Digestive Disease Week, the Mucosal Healing Index, a serum-based biomarker assay, demonstrated efficacy in identifying mucosal inflammation and similar accuracy to fecal calprotectin in patients with Crohn’s disease.
- However, economic barriers in underdeveloped & developing countries may hamper the market. A huge diversity of health care quality is observed in different geographic areas in Asia, Africa, Latin America, and the Middle East owing to economic imbalance. In certain regions, limited patient access to healthcare facilities, poor physician and patient awareness about disease, and limited availability of diagnostic modalities may delay diagnosis. This is estimated to hamper the in-vitro inflammatory bowel disease diagnostic market during the forecast period.
To gauge the scope of customization in our reports, Ask for a Sample
Stool-based biomarkers to dominate global biomarker in irritable bowel diseases diagnostic market
- Based on type, the global biomarker in irritable bowel diseases diagnostic market can be divided into blood-based biomarker and stool-based biomarker. The blood-based biomarker segment can be further sub-segmented into C-reactive protein, erythrocyte sedimentation rate, and others. The stool-based biomarkers segment can be divided into faecal calprotectin, faecal lactoferrin, and others
- In stool-based biomarkers primarily calprotectin is used to detect irritable bowel diseases. Surge in FDA approvals for various assays and product advances are likely to boost the segment in the near future. BÜHLMANN fCAL turbo is an in vitro diagnostic assay intended for the quantitative measurement of fecal calprotectin. Gentian has, in cooperation with its partner BÜHLMANN, has been delivering the BÜHLMANN fCAL turbo to the market since 2016 and recorded an 81% sales growth in 2018, with sales reaching US$ 1.02 Mn.
Hospitals segment to expand significantly
- Based on end user, the global biomarker in irritable bowel diseases diagnostic market can be divided into diagnostic laboratories, hospitals and research institutes.
- The diagnostic laboratories segment dominates the biomarker in irritable bowel diseases diagnostic market. Rise in awareness about preventive health and increase in targeted diseases boost the segment.
- However, the hospitals segment is expected to gain market share during the forecast period and expand at a significant CAGR during that time. Expansion of the segment can be attributed to a rise in the rate of hospitalization for inflammatory bowel diseases and wide range of services offered by hospitals at a single site. Rise in cases of irritable bowel diseases boosts the segment. Internationally, the incidence of IBD is around 0.5 to 24.5 cases per 100,000 person-years for ulcerative colitis and 0.1 to 16 cases per 100,000 person-years for Crohn’s disease.
North America to dominate global biomarker in irritable bowel diseases diagnostic market
- In terms of region, the global biomarker in irritable bowel diseases diagnostic market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa.
- In terms of revenue, North America dominated the biomarker in irritable bowel diseases diagnostic market in 2019, followed by Europe. High prevalence of diseases and well-established health care infrastructure that enables proper diagnosis of IBD are responsible for the high market share held by the region. According to a paper published in Gastroenterology & Hepatology journal, in 2017, there were 6·8 million cases of IBD globally, and the highest prevalence rate in 2017 occurred in high-income North America.
- However, the market in Asia Pacific is estimated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period primarily due to a rise in the prevalence of disorders and an increase in awareness about treatment in the region. Majority of countries in Asia Pacific are economically developing and numerous players are making significant investments in the region. These factors boost the market in Asia Pacific. Rise in technological advancements in countries in terms of health care and medical research is anticipated to fuel the market in the region. The incidence of Crohn’s disease has been increasing in countries in Asia in the last few years. A study conducted in 2013 reported the incidence of IBD at 0.54 to 3.44 per 100,000 in the region.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Market
The global biomarker in irritable bowel diseases diagnostic market was highly fragmented in 2019. Key manufacturers operating in the global market are:
- DiaSorin S.p.A.
- F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd
- Siemens Healthineers AG
- Abbott Laboratories
- Quidel Corporation
- BÜHLMANN Laboratories AG
- American Laboratory Products Company (ALPCO)
- Certest Biotec SL.
- Biosystems S.A.
Biomarker in Irritable Bowel Diseases Diagnostic Market: Research Scope
Biomarker in Irritable Bowel Diseases Diagnostic Market, by Type
- Blood based Biomarker
- C-reactive protein
- Erythrocyte sedimentation rate
- Stool based Biomarker
- Faecal calprotectin
- Faecal lactoferrin
Biomarker in Irritable Bowel Diseases Diagnostic Market, by End-user
- Diagnostic Laboratories
- Research Institutes
Biomarker in Irritable Bowel Diseases Diagnostic Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.