Biogas Liquefaction: Introduction
- Rapid growth in population and increasing urbanization and modernization across the globe is boosting the demand for energy. Currently, fossil fuels such as coal and oil & gas account for major share of demand for energy. Fast depleting fossil fuels, environmental concerns, and rising pollution have led to a steady shift toward more environmentally-friendly and renewable sources of clean energy. Biogas is a clean, renewable, and biological source of energy. It is produced when organic materials such as agricultural waste, manure, municipal waste, plant material, sewage, and green waste or food waste are decomposed under anaerobic conditions. It is also produced under controlled conditions in a digester chamber.
- Biogas primarily consists of methane, carbon dioxide, hydrogen sulfide, moisture, and siloxane. It is purified, processed, and liquefied to be used as fuel. This process is called liquefaction of biogas. In a biogas liquefaction plant, purified and upgraded biogas is converted into liquefied biogas under specific pressure and temperature. Purest kind of liquid biogas consists of approximately 97% methane. Liquefied biogas is approximately 600 times more space competent than in gaseous state; it is much easier to transport liquefied biogas. Liquefied biogas is produced in two major ways: cryogenic technology and conventional upgrading technology.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Biogas Liquefaction Market
- The biogas liquefaction market has developed significantly in the recent years. This can be primarily ascribed to the high performance and increasing recognition of first and second generation biofuels globally. Biogas liquefaction plays an important role in addressing several issues associated with the degradation of conventional fuels. Rise in usage of biogas for residential as well as commercial purpose is expected to propel the biogas liquefaction market during the forecast period. Growth in awareness about the impact of fossil fuel on the planet is anticipated to drive the demand for biogas.
- Rise in demand for biogas is expected to create significant opportunities for the biogas liquefaction market. Countries dependent on conventional fuel are striving to become more self-sufficient by promoting the use of renewable energy sources such as biogas. Thus, demand for biogas liquefaction is anticipated to rise at a significant pace during the forecast period.
Biogas Liquefaction: Technology Segment
- In terms of technology, the global biogas liquefaction market can be segmented into cryogenic technology and conventional upgrading technology
- The conventional upgrading technology segment is expected to account for a significant share of the global biogas liquefaction market during the forecast period. It is anticipated to be followed by the cryogenic technology segment.
- The cryogenic technology segment is likely to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period, due to the expansion of the renewable energy industry around the globe
Biogas Liquefaction: Application Segment
- In terms of application, the global biogas liquefaction market can be divided into biomethane, natural (fossil) gas, compressed natural gas (CNG), and others
- The compressed natural gas (CNG) segment is estimated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period. It is projected to be followed by the natural (fossil) gas segment.
- The biomethane segment is likely to expand at a healthy CAGR during the forecast period, owing to the increase in demand for alternative source of energy for residential purposes
Covid-19 Impact on Biogas Liquefaction Market
- On January 30, 2020, the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee of the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak a public health emergency of international concern. Originating in China, the virus has spread to at least 213 countries and territories around the world.
- Several governments and private sector businesses are operating at a limited capacity or have ceased operations completely due to recent events surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic
- Manufacture of various consumer goods and other products across the globe has come to a halt due to the unavailability of raw materials, shortage of labor, etc. This is expected to hamper the biogas liquefaction market.
Biogas Liquefaction Market in Europe to Expand at Rapid Pace
- In terms of region, the global biogas liquefaction market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America dominated the biogas liquefaction market in 2020. This trend is anticipated to continue during the forecast period. This can be ascribed to the higher production and consumption of biofuels, especially in the U.S. However, the biogas liquefaction market in Europe is anticipated to expand at a rapid pace owing to the increase in demand for biofuels in countries such as Germany and Switzerland.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Biogas Liquefaction Market
The global biogas liquefaction market was consolidated in 2020. Major players have prominent presence in developed and developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the global biogas liquefaction market include:
- APROVIS Energy Systems GmbH
- Eisenmann SE
- Energy & Waste S.L.
- Enspar GmbH
- EnviTec Biogas AG
- ETW Energietechnik GmbH
- Groth Corporation
- Himark BioGas
- Nova Analytical Systems Inc.
- Schmack Biogas GmbH
Global Biogas Liquefaction Market: Research Scope
Global Biogas Liquefaction Market, by Technology
- Cryogenic Technology
- Conventional Upgrading Technology
Global Biogas Liquefaction Market, by Application
- Natural (Fossil) Gas
- Compressed Natural Gas (CNG)
Global Biogas Liquefaction Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Disclaimer: This ongoing market research study is a meticulously planned activity where a broad array of factors and aspects that shape the marketing environment and industry are taken into account. However, keeping in mind the constantly changing nature of business dynamics and changing strategic intents, we are always actively making iterations and modifications in our approaches. As always, we are ready to tailor our insights and guidance to suit your requirements. Engage with us to know what more is there for your CXOs.