Biofilms Treatment Market: Introduction
- The term biofilms is defined as a collection of microorganisms which grow on different surfaces. Microorganisms that form biofilms include bacteria, fungi, and protists. Biofilms can grow on metals, minerals, underground, underwater, and on ground surface. Biofilms are also found on animals, plant tissues, and on implanted medical devices such as catheters and pacemakers. Examples of biofilms include dental plaque and pond scum; many environmental factors determine the growth of biofilms.
- In other words, biofilm is termed as microorganism communities and consist of cells and extracellular matrix and are likely to attach to each other and on surfaces. Biofilm formation is used by bacteria as a survival strategy. Major innovative technique such as CLSM, fluorescence, FISH technique, metagenomics, and metatranscriptomics are widely used in studying and researching biofilm physiology.
Key Drivers, Restraints, and Opportunities of the Global Biofilms Treatment Market
- Rising incidence of wounds, infections, and growing biofilms on medical devices are resulting in demand for treatment of biofilms. This factor is estimated to boost the biofilms treatment market at the global level. Moreover, rising prevalence of biofilms is another factor expected to boost the market growth during the forecast period. As per some studies, 60% to 100% of chronic wound samples are identified to have biofilms present on them. This factor defines the faster and spatial distribution of biofilms in chronic wounds, which would drive the need for optimal treatment of the biofilms.
- Standard regulations and guidelines have been published by The European Society for Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases for the diagnosis and treatment of biofilms infections.
- Technological advancements, novel product development, and entry of emerging players in offering treatment against biofilms are few factors likely to boost the market at the global level. Increasing incidence of burn injuries, wound injuries, diabetic foot ulcers due to accidents, and lifestyle diseases are estimated to propel the biofilms treatment market during the forecast period. Furthermore, 80% of chronic microbial infections are a result of bacterial biofilms.
- However, rising infections associated with biofilms and antibiotic resistance is estimated to negatively impact the biofilm treatment market. Antibiotic resistance of bacteria in complex communities would lead to chronic infections. This factor drives the need for better biofilm treatment, and failing to do so, would restrain the market of biofilms during the forecast period.
- Significant progress in research & development for the prevention, management, and treatment of biofilms drives the development of innovative technology. Introduction of non-invasive biofilm wound map technique would provide useful information on locating the site of biofilms on wound infection surfaces. These offer significant opportunities for development of novel techniques for biofilm infection treatment.
North America to Capture Major Share of the Global Biofilms Treatment Market
- North America is expected to account for major share of the global biofilms treatment market, attributable to rising wound injuries, burn incidences, and increasing burden of patients suffering from chronic wounds, diabetic foot ulcers, and other traumatic injuries. Furthermore, technological advancements, and increasing research to discover novel treatments for biofilm infections are other factors contributing to growth of the market in North America.
- Europe is expected to garner significant share of the biofilms treatment market. Increasing prevalence of biofilms on medical devices such as implantable devices leading to failure of the treatment, along with rising diabetic foot ulcers and wound injuries is expected to boost the biofilms treatment market.
Key Players Operating in the Global Biofilms Treatment Market
The global biofilms treatment market is highly fragmented with presence of various key players. Launching of innovative products, and merger & acquisitions are growth strategies adopted by key players. Major players operating in the global biofilms treatment market are:
- Smith & Nephew
- MiMedx Group Inc.
- ConvaTec Group plc
- Coloplast A/S
- Mölnlycke Healthcare AB
- Organogenesis Holdings Inc.
- Integra LifeSciences Holdings Corporation
- B. Braun Melsungen AG
- Paul Hartmann AG
- Medline Industries Inc.
- Welcare Industries S.p.A
- Medaxis AG
- PulseCare Medical
- Zimmer Biomet Holdings Inc.
- Other Prominent Players
Global Biofilms Treatment Market: Research Scope
Global Biofilms Treatment Market, by Product Type
- Debridement Equipment
- Gauzes and Dressings
- Gels, Ointments, and Sprays
- Grafts and Matrices
- Wipes, Pads, and Lavage Solutions
Global Biofilms Treatment Market, by Site of Infection
- Lung Infection
- Surgical Wounds
- Diabetic Foot Ulcers
- Pressure Ulcers
- Endotracheal Tubes
- Orthopedic Procedures
Global Biofilms Treatment Market, by End-user
- Ambulatory Surgical Centers
- Wound Care Centers
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!