Biocompatible 3D Printing Materials Market
Biocompatible 3D Printing Materials Market (Product: Polymers, Metals, and Others; Form: Powder, Liquid and Others; and Application: Implant & Prosthesis, Prototyping & Surgical Guides, Tissue Engineering, Hearing Aids, and Others) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast 2019 - 2027
- Chemicals & Materials
- 328 Pages
3D Printing Facilitates Growing Applications in Tissue Engineering and Biomedical Fields
Three-dimensional (3D) and four-dimensional (4D) printing is emerging as a trend for the fabrication of complex structures in the biocompatible 3D printing materials market. High precision and layer-by-layer addition of intelligent materials is paving the way for dynamic 3D structures for stakeholders and manufacturers.
Likewise, 3D and 4D printing has shown growing prominence in the production of scaffolds that are utilized in tissue engineering. Also, biocompatible 3D printing technology is being increasingly used for tissue regeneration in magneto-responsive polymers and vascular tissue engineering applications. As such, stakeholders and players operating in the biocompatible 3D printing materials market use the technology to produce patient-specific devices in the biomedical field.
Manufacturers in the biocompatible 3D printing materials market also develop 3D-printed tubular scaffolds with nanofibers for bone applications by using this technology. 3D printing facilitates the synthesis of bone scaffolds and provides high extensibility in biodegradable, biocompatible and biocomposite polymeric material handling. As a result, 3D tubular scaffolds at high magnification micrographs display a smooth homogenous surface morphology after the deposition of the layers of polymer.
To gauge the scope of customization in our reports Ask for a Sample
Bioinks and Biocompatible Implants to Transform Cell Physiology in Healthcare Industry
In the biocompatible 3D printing materials market, biomaterial inks are being increasingly used to produce rigid scaffolds for the permanent or slow-degrading stabilization of a cell structure. On the other hand, bioinks help produce softer scaffolds that can be promptly replaced by the deposition of extracellular matrix (ECM) by the ingrained cell population. Likewise, manufacturers are developing bioinks with the help of hydrogels that act as a more suitable material for 3D cell cultures. Also, bioinks developed with the help of hydrogels provide biocompatibility, and are easily harmonized with the physical, mechanical, and biological properties of 3D cell structures.
Get an idea about the offerings of our report from Report Brochure
The field of tissue engineering plays an important role in the fabrication of biocompatible implants to restore damaged or non-functional tissues. As such, stakeholders in the biocompatible 3D printing materials market are carrying out research & development activities to fine-tune tissue engineering with biocompatible materials. Such research & development initiatives in the help assess the growth factors of live cells to produce implants that facilitate normal tissue growth throughout the engineered construct.
Increased Application of Additive Manufacturing to Overcome Limitations in Biocompatible Implant and Prosthesis
The field of surgical implant and prosthesis is advancing due to technological and biological innovations in the biocompatible 3D printing materials market. However, the design of implant and prosthesis requires an integrative approach that combines the principles of material sciences, biomechanics, pharmaceuticals, engineering, molecular biology, and ongoing clinical trial experiments.
As such, stakeholders can adopt the technique of additive manufacturing that can act as a liaison between biology and engineering, by introducing complex biocompatible and bioactive constructs. Additive manufacturing leverages unique material properties such as osteoconductivity and osteoinductivity, which facilitates tissue regeneration and the assimilation of the implant with the surrounding tissues.
3D printing serves as an indispensable resource for the production of devices and systems in biomaterials, and in the field of tissue engineering. However, there is the need for the development of different materials with multi-sensitivity properties to enhance the dynamic nature of devices in the biocompatible 3D printing materials market. Thus, stakeholders need to carry out long-term monitoring to identify the types of stimuli of the materials in the devices and systems.
Looking for Regional Analysis or Competitive Landscape in Biocompatible 3D Printing Materials Market , ask for a customized report
Analysts of the biocompatible 3D printing materials market have a positive outlook for the forecast period of 2019-2027. Although the market is consolidated with only 5 major players, there is potential for high growth in regions such as Asia Pacific, North America, and Europe, leading to the global market accounting for a striking CAGR of ~16%. Apart from tissue engineering and biocompatible implant and prosthesis, stakeholders in the biocompatible 3D printing materials market are innovating on synthetic hydrogels, as they have similar properties to biopolymeric hydrogels, which are used for printing applications. Increased demand for metal implants used in orthopedic and dental applications is surfacing in the biocompatible 3D printing materials market.
Biocompatible 3D Printing Materials Market: Description
- Biocompatible materials are used for 3D printing in various medical applications, including dental and orthopedic implants, drug delivery, hearing aids, tissue engineering scaffolds, and prosthesis.
- Commonly employed biocompatible 3D printing materials include polymers, metals, ceramics, bio-inks, composites, and carbon compounds. Polymers are extensively utilized biocompatible 3D printing materials.
- 3D printing facilitates the easy production of orthopedic implants, dental devices, surgical guides, anatomical models, medical tools, prosthesis, and custom enclosures. 3D printing is also used for the printing of organs, bone regeneration, and drug release.
Key Growth Drivers of Biocompatible 3D Printing Materials Market
- Rapid innovation and technological advancements in the medical industry have led to numerous breakthrough products. Most market players involved in medical and health care industries invest significantly in research & development. This results in the advent of innovative technologies and materials. This is expected to augment the demand for biocompatible 3D printing materials during the forecast period.
- Earlier, the usage of biocompatible 3D printing materials was limited to the production of surgical guides, dental accessories, patient specific implants, and prototypes. However, innovations in 3D printing materials have led to the development of bio-inks that can also be used in bio-printing and tissue engineering. They can be used to bio-print human tissues and organs.
- Innovations and rise in the number of applications, wherein, biocompatible 3D printing materials can be used, are anticipated to fuel the demand for biocompatible 3D printing materials during the forecast period.
Major Challenges for Biocompatible 3D Printing Materials Market
- Currently, only a few biocompatible materials are widely employed in the healthcare industry. Extensive research in the development of biocompatible materials has also led to the synthesis of some new macromeres and biocompatible moieties. However, they have not yet been approved by the U.S. FDA (United States Food & Drug Administration). This is restraining the global biocompatible 3d printing materials market.
- Limitations on the mass production of 3D materials are also expected to restrain the global biocompatible 3D printing materials market during the forecast period.
Lucrative Opportunities for Global Biocompatible 3D Printing Materials Market
- Currently, biocompatible 3D printing materials are used in various applications, including orthopedic and dental implants, surgical guides, pacemakers, prototyping, hearing aids, and tissue engineering.
- Ongoing research in micro-fluids and the bio-printing of organs using 3D printing is projected to lead to technological breakthroughs. This, in turn, is likely to boost the biocompatible 3D printing materials market during the forecast period.
- Asia Pacific and Latin America offer significant opportunities to the biocompatible 3D printing materials market. Currently, biocompatible 3D printing materials are employed in high-end medical applications. Improvement in economic conditions, increase in awareness about sustainability, and rise in spending on healthcare are anticipated to drive the biocompatible 3D printing materials market in Asia Pacific and Latin America during the forecast period.
North America Prominent Biocompatible 3D Printing Materials Market
- In terms of value, North America accounted for a major share of the global biocompatible 3D printing materials market in 2018. This can be ascribed to the strong demand for biocompatible 3D printing materials in orthopedic surgeries, cosmetic implants, and tissue engineering applications in the region. North America is economically and technologically developed. This increases the likelihood of people opting for expensive and sophisticated surgical procedures.
- The demand for biocompatible 3D printing materials in the U.S. is anticipated to rise at a rapid pace during the forecast period. The presence of numerous manufacturers of biocompatible 3D printing materials as well as 3D printers in the U.S. has led to the wide adoption of the 3D printing technology in the country. Players operating in the U.S. have a high level of integration across the value chain. This has helped them strengthen their position in the global market as well.
Implant & Prosthesis Application to Be Prominent
- In terms of application, the implant & prosthesis segment constituted a substantial share of the global biocompatible 3D printing materials market in 2018. These materials are widely used in the production of orthopedic implants, hips and joint replacements, etc.
- Implant and prosthesis are used to replace missing body parts in humans. Implants are made of metals, plastics/polymers, or ceramics, and can be permanently placed in the body or are even removable.
- The demand for biocompatible 3D printing materials in the implant & prosthesis segment is anticipated to be largely driven by the rise in the number of patients requiring orthopedic, dental, and maxillofacial implants. Biocompatible materials help improve the chances of successful outcome of such surgeries. 3D printing helps in building customized implants.
Powder Form Offers Growth Opportunities
- In terms of form, the powder segment accounted for a key share of the global market in 2018. Powder is a widely used form of biocompatible 3D printing materials, and the preferred form when an application requires rigidity and high strength.
- Powder and liquid are the commonly used forms of biocompatible 3D printing materials. Selection of the form of material largely depends upon the object to be printed, and the process and printer used for printing, as compatibility is necessary to ensure good final print.
- Powder is the predominantly used form of biocompatible 3D printing materials as compared to liquid. Polymers are primarily extruded into filaments and are 3D printed using the fused deposition model (FDM) and the stereolithography (SLA) process. The market share of the powder segment is expected to rise during the forecast period.
- Metals are primarily used in the powder form of biocompatible 3D printing materials. Selective laser sintering (SLS) and electron beam manufacturing (EBM) are employed for 3D printing of powders.
Leading Players Actively Engage in New Product Development and R&D Activities
- Key players operating in the global biocompatible 3d printing materials market include
- 3D Systems, Inc.
- Stratasys Ltd.
- Evonik Industries AG
- Renishaw plc
- Formlabs Inc.
- Envisiontec, Inc.
- Sandvik AB
- Elix Polymers SLU
- Concept Laser GmbH
- Apium Additive Technologies GmbH
- EOS GmbH
- Aspect Biosystems Ltd.
- Cemetrix Solutions
- Bioink Solution, Inc.
- In February 2018, 3D Systems, Inc. introduced its new 3D printer, NextDent 5100, which is specifically designed for dental labs. The printer is a breakthrough in digital density due to its capabilities and cost efficiency.
- In 2018, the company launched the FabPro 10003D printer suitable for dental and jewelry production. It offers high functionality and throughput in industrial prototyping. It is a low cost, yet, a highly productive DLP-based 3D printer.
Biocompatible 3D Printing Materials Market – Scope of the Study
Transparency Market Research has presented a new research study that provides a future outlook of the biocompatible 3D printing materials market. It provides a wealth of information on important market dynamics, including the drivers, trends, and challenges prevailing in the biocompatible 3D printing materials market, which can help identify the growth opportunities for stakeholders. TMR’s research on the biocompatible 3D printing materials landscape encompasses the growth trails of the biocompatible 3D printing materials market for the period of 2019-2027, along with estimated statistics in terms of value (US$ million).
Important indicators of the biocompatible 3D printing materials market, including pricing analysis, historical value and volume analysis, and Y-o-Y growth trend analysis have been provided in the report. Precise information covered in the report can help readers anticipate the quantitative and qualitative growth prospects of the biocompatible 3D printing materials market during the forecast period.
In addition to a detailed segmentation of the biocompatible 3D printing materials market, TMR’s study covers an astute outlook on the competitive landscape. The report highlights the profiles of several companies as well as new entrants in the biocompatible 3D printing materials market, wherein, both, the organic and inorganic business strategies of these market players have been elaborated in the report.
Key Questioned Answered in TMR’s Biocompatible 3D Printing Materials Market Study
TMR’s study offers a qualitative as well as quantitative breakdown of the biocompatible 3D printing materials market. Important insights provided in the biocompatible 3D printing materials market research answer several questions to help readers gain an in-depth understanding of the market. Some of the key questions include:
- What are the important applications adopted by manufacturers operating in the biocompatible 3D printing materials market?
- What is the pricing analysis of biocompatible 3D printing materials across different demographics?
- What is the influence of changing technological trends on the development of the biocompatible 3D printing materials market?
- Which segment is likely to have incremental growth prospects during the forecast period?
- What is the risk and competition faced by biocompatible 3D printing materials market players for innovative product offerings?
Biocompatible 3D Printing Materials Market: Research Methodology
A unique approach and two-step research methodology have been adopted by TMR’s analysts to carry out detailed research on the various nodes and internodes of the biocompatible 3D printing materials market, and to arrive at precise conclusions on its future growth prospects.
Secondary resources referred to by the analysts of the biocompatible 3D printing materials market include various research papers, industry association publications, annual reports, and presentations of manufacturing companies. To verify the information gathered from secondary resources, analysts conducted interviews and discussions with C-level executives, VPs, product managers, and marketing managers, along with key investors and distributors of companies in the supply chain of the biocompatible 3D printing materials market.
Key information obtained from both these resources has contributed to the compilation of the biocompatible 3D printing materials market report, which can help arm stakeholders with essential facts and figures to take well-informed decisions.
Biocompatible 3D Printing Materials Market – Segmentation
TMR’s study on the biocompatible 3D printing materials market includes key insights categorized into four broader segments – product, form, application, and region. Changing industry trends in the biocompatible 3D printing materials landscape and other important dynamics associated with these segments have been discussed in detail. The report includes market revenue comparison analysis and market attractiveness analysis to determine the impact of each segment on the overall growth of the biocompatible 3D printing materials market.
Others (Ceramics and Composites)
Implants & Prostheses
Prototyping & Surgical Guides
Middle East & Africa