Bioceramics are ceramic materials specially developed for use as medical and dental implants. These are usually used to replace hard tissue in the body such as bone and teeth. Common bioceramics are alumina, zirconia, and hydroxyapatite (a form of calcium phosphate). Ceramics are refractory polycrystalline compounds and are inorganic, highly inert, hard & brittle, have high compressive strength, are good electric and thermal insulators, and have good esthetic appearance.
Increasing R&D activities by major industry players such as Kyocera coupled with rising demand in North America and Europe has led to high penetration in these developed regions. Other factors such as transitioning demographics and high demand for advanced health care facilities are also likely to boost market growth. Rising prevalence of osteoarthritis among a growing geriatric population has had a positive impact on bioceramics consumption globally. Increasing implant surgeries and hip & knee joint replacements is also likely to provide lucrative opportunities in the bioceramics market participants worldwide. However, volatility in alumina prices is anticipated to restrain the global bioceramics market during the forecast period. Medical polymers are also increasingly substituting bioceramics owing to similar inherent properties. These factors are likely to hinder the growth of the new market entrants over the future period. Minimally invasive procedures, surgery cost reduction, and partial joint replacements are likely to present lucrative opportunities in the market.
Based on product type, the bioceramics market is segmented into bioinert, bioactive, and bioresorbable. Bioactive ceramics interact with the body so that tissue bonding and eventual incorporation into the body occurs after a time. Calcium phosphate-based bioceramics are bioactive. Bioinert ceramics do not interact with the body’s environment apart from causing an initial ‘fibrous tissue’ reaction, which coats the ceramic. Alumina and zirconia-based ceramics are classified as bioinert. The bioceramics market has also been segmented based on application into orthopedic, dental implants, bone graft substitutes, bone cements, and others. Based on material, the bioceramics market is segmented into carbon, alumina, calcium sulfate, zirconia, calcium phosphate, and others. Alumina is a white powder. When shaped, compressed, and heated to a high temperature, the ceramic that results has high density, high strength, excellent corrosion resistance, good biocompatibility, and high wear resistance. In addition, it can be machined, ground, and polished to a high-quality product. Zirconia (ZrO2) is also a white powder. It can be compressed and sintered into a strong ceramic. Unlike alumina, its wear-resistance properties are not as good.
Geographically, the global bioceramics market has been segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa. North America and Europe are major markets for bioceramics products due to increasing research and development activities along with growing consumer demand in the region. Changing demographics in North America and Europe have resulted in growing demand for health care facilities. This has been an important factor for medical advancements and contributed to the increasing use of the material in the past few years. Pharmaceutical companies in Asia Pacific are also increasing their production capacities. This factor coupled with increasing investments in R&D is expected to present new opportunities in the region. Apart from their usage as dental and bone implants, bioceramics are widely used in engineered bioreactors and extracorporeal circulation systems such as dialysis. This trend is anticipated to fuel the growth of the bioceramics market in Asia Pacific through 2024.
Major players operating in the global bioceramics market include CeramTec, Amedica Corporation, Zimmer Biomet Holdings, Inc., Royal DSM, DOCERAM Medical Ceramics GmbH, Straumann, Nobel Biocare, and CoorsTek Medical, LLC. CoorsTek Medical produced over 300 advanced materials in 2014. In August 2015, the company announced a five-year capacity expansion plan of ceramic hip replacement components. These initiatives are likely to increase competition and internal rivalry within the industry.
This intelligence report by TMR is the outcome of intense study and rigorous assessment of various dynamics shaping the growth of the market. TMR nurtures a close-knit team of analysts, strategists, and industry experts who offer clients tools, methodologies, and frameworks to make smarter decisions. Our objective, insights, and actionable analytics provide CXOs and executives to advance their mission-critical priorities with confidence.
The scrutiny of the various forces impacting the dynamics of the market, and key and associated industries, guides enterprises in understanding various consumer propositions. Our clients leverage these insights and perspectives to enhance customer experience in the fast-paced business environment.
All our insights and perspectives are broadly based on 4 Pillars or Stages: ASBC-S, which offer an elaborate and customizable framework for the success of an organization. The essence and the roles of these in organizational successes are highlighted below:
- Agenda for CXOs: TMR, through the study, sets the tone for agendas that are pertinent to CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and other CXO executives of businesses operating in the market. The perspectives help our clients to bridge the gap between agenda and action plan. TMR strives to offer guidance to CXOs to undertake mission-critical activities empowered by various business analysis tools, and boost the performance of the organizations. The perspectives guide you to decide on your own marketing mix that align well with the policies, visions, and mission.
- Strategic Frameworks: The study offers how organizations are setting both short-term and long-term strategic plans. Our team of experts collaborate and communicate with you to understand these to make your organizations sustainable and resilient during tough times. The insights help them decide sustainable competitive advantage for each business units.
- Benchmarking for Deciding Target Markets and Brand Positioning: The assessments in the study provides a scrutiny of marketing channels and marketing mix. Our various teams work synergistically with you to help identify your actual and potential direct, indirect, and budget competition areas. Additionally, the study helps you decide most effective budgets for various processes and promotional activities. Furthermore, the study guides you to set benchmarks for integrating people and processes with the 4Ps of marketing. Eventually, this will empower you to find out unique propositioning strategies and niches.
- Business Composability for Sustainability (C-S): Constant strategy planning for sustainability characterizing our C-S framework in the report has become more relevant than before in the face of disruptions caused by pandemics, recessions, boom and bust cycles, and changing geopolitical scenario. The TMR study offers a high level of customization to help you achieve business composability. Composable enterprises are increasingly gaining the attention of CXOs in order to help them combat market volatility. Our analysts and industry experts help you wade through such uncertainties and guide you to become a smart sustainable business in entirety.
The study presents scrutiny of region-specific consumer and technology trends, including the most recent industry dynamics. These broadly cover but not limited to
- North America, South America, and the Americas
- Asia Pacific and Japan
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
The study offers data-driven insights and guidance of several aspects. Some of the more notable questions are:
- What are the major recent trends that can influence the product life cycle and the RoI?
- Which regulatory trends shape corporate-level, business-level, and functional-level strategies?
- Which micromarketing initiatives of leading players will bring in investments?
- What can be the best framework and tools for PESTLE analysis?
- Which regions will witness rise in new opportunities?
- Which are the game-changing technologies being used to capture new revenue streams in the near future?
- Which operational and tactical frameworks are being adopted by various players in gaining customer loyalty?
- What is the current and expected intensity of competition the market in the near future?
Disclaimer: This market research study is an ongoing effort and extreme care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy at all stages. However, in the light of the rapidly evolving business dynamics, some region-specific or other segment-specific changes may take time to be part of the study.