Barrier Coatings: Introduction
- Barrier coatings perform a vital function of insulating components such as gas turbines and aero-engine parts by operating at elevated temperatures. Barrier coatings have very low thermal conductivity. They bear a large temperature gradient when exposed to heat flow. Commonly used barrier coating is yttria-stabilized zirconia, which exhibits resistance to thermal shock and thermal fatigue up to 1150°C.
- The global barrier coatings market is expected to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period, owing to the increasing demand for these coatings in automotive, energy, and aerospace sectors
Key Drivers of Global Barrier Coatings Market
- Barrier coatings are being increasingly used in automotive applications. They are designed to facilitate the reduction of heat loss from engine exhaust system components, including exhaust manifolds, turbocharger casings, exhaust headers, downpipes, and tailpipes. Most coatings are applied to metallic parts directly operating with the engine exhaust system; however, thermal barrier coatings can now be applied using plasma spray onto composite materials due to technological advancements.
- Recently, the automotive industry has started using composite components in order to meet the stringent emission regulations and high consumer demand for esthetic qualities materials. This is encouraging vendors to facilitate research on barrier coating materials.
- Growth of the automotive industry in countries such as the U.S. and expansion of the aviation industry are estimated to boost the barrier coatings market in North America. Presence of several automotive giants, such as Ford, Bombardier, and General Motors in the U.S. and Canada, is also projected to propel the demand for barrier coatings in the region.
Stationary Power Plant Application Segment to Offer Lucrative Opportunities
- In terms of application, stationary power plant was the rapidly growing segment of the global barrier coatings market in 2019. It is estimated to maintain its attractiveness during the forecast period. This growth can be ascribed to the increase in requirement of gas turbines that can withstand high operating temperatures of over 1,500°C. Rise in demand for energy due to growing population, urbanization, and changing lifestyles is also expected to propel the segment during the forecast period.
- The automotive segment also holds vital share of the global barrier coatings market. The segment is projected to expand at a significant pace during the forecast period due to the rise in demand for automobiles and heat resistant coatings in automotive parts. Increase in application scope in engine components, such as pistons, cylinder heads, and related components, is also anticipated to drive the segment during the forecast period.
Asia Pacific to Hold Major Share of Global Barrier Coatings Market
- The barrier coatings market in Asia Pacific is expected to expand significantly during the forecast period, owing to the rise in usage of these coatings in various end-use applications in the region
- The market in Europe and Middle East & Africa is anticipated to expand at a significant pace during the forecast period, owing to the growth of the automotive industry in these regions
- Rise in FDI investments in automotive and construction industries in developing economies of Asia Pacific is a key factor that is likely to fuel the market in the region during the forecast period
Key Players in Global Market
Various players operate in the global barrier coatings market. However, there is an increasing shift in dynamics toward market consolidation. This can be ascribed to new product developments by major companies operating in the U.S. and Europe in order to capitalize on untapped potential in Asia Pacific and Africa. Key players operating in the global barrier coatings market are:
- Praxair Surface Technologies
- Metallisation Ltd.
- TST Engineered Coating Solutions
- Flame Spray Coating Co.
- Air Products & Chemicals
- Metallizing Equipment Co. Pvt. Ltd.
- TWI Ltd.
- Integrated Global Services
- A&A Company
- Precision Coating, Inc.
- ASB Industries Inc.
Global Barrier Coatings Market: Research Scope
Global Barrier Coatings Market, by Type
Global Barrier Coatings Market, by Technology
- Electron Beam-Physical Vapor Deposition
- High Velocity Oxyfuel
- Chemical Vapor Deposition
- Air Plasma
Global Barrier Coatings Market, by Application
- Stationary Power Plant
Global Barrier Coatings Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.