Bacteriophages Therapy Market: Introduction
- Bacteriophage therapy is also called phage therapy. It uses viruses for the treatment of bacterial infections. Bacterial viruses are known as bacteriophages or phages. They attack bacteria; phages are harmless to plants, animals, and people. Bacteriophages are considered to be natural enemies of bacteria. Bacteriophages are found in sewage, water, soil, and others places where bacteria are found.
- Phage therapy is broadly being reconsidered as an alternative to antibiotics. Henceforth, phage therapy is the therapeutic use of lytic bacteriophages for treating pathogenic bacterial infections.
Key Drivers of Global Bacteriophages Therapy Market
- There is an increase in prevalence of foodborne diseases that are caused due to food spoilage. Spoiled food contains pathogenic bacteria and viruses. According to the WHO, in 2019, around 600 million people (almost 1 in 10 people in the world) fall ill after eating contaminated food and 420,000 die every year, resulting in the loss of 33 million healthy life years (DALYs). Moreover, children under the age of 5 years carry 40% of foodborne disease burden, with 125,000 deaths every year. This factor is boosting the growth of the bacteriophages therapy market.
- Bacteriophages are highly specific to target bacteria. Its usage is targeted toward a specific bacterial species and significantly minimizes off-target effects on microbiome or human patient, as bacteriophages do not directly affect human cells.
- Extensive research and developmental activities being carried out in the bacteriophages therapy market are fueling the growth of the bacteriophages therapy market. For instance, in January 2019, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration accepted an Investigational New Drug application by physician-scientists at the University of California San Diego School of Medicine for conducting the first U.S. clinical trial of an intravenously administered bacteriophage-based therapy. The planned trial was decided to be conducted in collaboration with AmpliPhi Biosciences Corporation, a San Diego-based biotechnology company.
Get an Idea about the Offerings of Our Bacteriophages Therapy Market Report from this Brochure
Key Restraints of Global Bacteriophages Therapy Market
- High cost of bacteriophages therapy is one of the prime factors restraining the growth of the global bacteriophage therapy market. Expensive clinical testing and high risk of product failure for drug development are factors restraining market growth.
- Physicians need special training to correctly prescribe and use phages. Thus, lack of skilled professionals can hamper the growth of the bacteriophages therapy market.
Strategic Developments and Emerging Economies to Offer Attractive Opportunities
- Companies operating in the bacteriophages therapy market are focusing on meeting the needs of medical communities and patient population by developing novel therapies. Several players are also investing in developing advanced bacteriophage platforms.
- In June 2016, EnBiotix, Inc., a product-focused bioengineering company, announced collaboration with the Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research (MFMER)to continue he development of the company’s drug candidate, EPP-001, an engineered bacteriophage product to deliver biofilm dispersing enzymes to treat Staphylococcus aureus (S. aureus) infections in prosthetic joints.
- Emerging economies provide lucrative opportunities in the bacteriophage therapy market, as there is an increase in the number of patient population and initiatives by governments in the health care sector
North America to Hold a Major Share of Global Bacteriophages Therapy Market
- North America is expected to hold a major share of the global bacteriophages therapy market due to increasing prevalence of foodborne and other infectious diseases. For instance, the CDC estimated that around 48 million people fall sick, 128,000 are hospitalized, and 3,000 die from foodborne diseases each year in the U.S.
- The bacteriophages therapy market in Asia Pacific is expected to grow at a rapid pace during the forecast period due to rise in patient population, initiatives by governments in the health care sector, and interest of key players in expanding their market presence in the Asia Pacific region
Expanding Operations in Future? To Get the Perfect Launch Ask for a Custom Bacteriophages Therapy Market Report
Key Players Operating in Global Bacteriophages Therapy Market
Key players in the global bacteriophages therapy market are focusing on research and developmental activities. Companies are adopting various growth strategies, including mergers, acquisitions, product upgrades, product launches and approvals, partnerships, collaborations, etc. Leading players operating in the global bacteriophages therapy market are:
- Armata Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- iNtODEWORLD, Inc.
- Phage International, Inc.
- Fixed-Phage Limited
- OCUS BIOSCIENCES, INC.
- Pherecydes Pharma
- Adaptive Phage Therapeutics
- Intralytix, Inc
- PhagoMed Biopharma GmbH
- PHAGELUX, INC.
- Other Prominent Players
Global Bacteriophages Therapy Market: Research Scope
Global Bacteriophages Therapy Market, by Type
Global Bacteriophages Therapy Market, by Application
- Antimicrobial Drug Discovery
- Veterinary Medicines
Global Bacteriophages Therapy Market, by End-user
- Hospitals & Clinics
- Academic Research Organizations & Institutes
Global Bacteriophages Therapy Market, by Region
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.