Automotive Polycarbonate Glazing Market
Automotive Polycarbonate Glazing Market (Technology: Sun Control Glazing, Hydrophobic Glazing, Switchable Glazing, and Conventional; Application: Front Windshield, Backlite, Sidelite, Quarter Glass, and Panoramic Roof/ Roof Modules; Sales Channel: OEMs and Aftermarket; Vehicle: Passenger Vehicles, Light Commercial Vehicles, and Heavy Commercial Vehicles) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2019 - 2027
Press Release :
Automotive Polycarbonate Glazing Market - Regulations Against the Use of Glass to Unlock Opportunities
According to a recently published study by Transparency Market Research (TMR), ~3.3 Mn square meters worth of automotive polycarbonate glazing was sold in 2018, and is projected to grow at a volume CAGR of ~11% during 2019-2027. This spurt in growth is highly attributable to the pursuit of automakers for lightweight materials to enhance the fuel efficiency of automotive vehicles. The lightweight feature of polycarbonate glazing material allows design freedom, which offers the desired space for innovation to automakers.
Since consumers resonate better with features over functions, automotive sunroofs are gradually being a viable proposition in vehicles. Since the glass used for sunroofs, windshields, and other parts of an automotive are highly susceptible to damage during a road mishap, numerous vehicle safety protocols require automakers to incorporate only tampered glass, laminated glass, and glass plastic. However, to ensure complete safety, automakers are evincing high reliance on automotive polycarbonate glazing as a replacement to traditional glass, which is likely to create sustainable growth opportunities for the industry.
To understand how our report can bring difference to your business strategy, Ask for a brochure
Environmental Concerns of Polycarbonates Despite Adoption in Electric Vehicles
Recently, Toyota announced that the company will begin testing a solar roof that has the capacity of adding as much as 45 Km to an electric vehicle a day, using solar cells. These solar cells that are merely 0.03 mm thick, and deliver around 860 watts of power, and even possess the competency to charge the EV while it is being driven. With shifting focus towards solar energy as a source of fuel to drive the penetration of futuristic cars, panels manufactured from polycarbonate will remain integral in underpinning this movement.
However, polycarbonate is but a form of plastic from the polymer family, with its own environmental concerns. Increasing awareness among companies and government entities regarding the environment implications of polycarbonates drives their attention towards the environmental performance of their business operations. A check on carbon footprints has instigated numerous countries such as the U.S., and Japan to implement a ban on the use of polycarbonates for automotive glazing, which will act as a throttle to the growth of the global market.
Request a sample to get extensive insights into the Automotive Polycarbonate Glazing Market
North America to Gain Attractiveness in Automotive Polycarbonate Glazing Market
In 2015, Europe scrapped the illegal status of polycarbonates and encouraged its use in the automotive sector. This offered a huge momentum to the adoption of automotive polycarbonate glazing for the manufacturing of windscreens. In 2019, Europe will account for ~29% of the market share, while Asia Pacific will retain its traditional lead with a market share of ~41%. Asia Pacific’s lead in the industry is attributable to the high concentration of OEMs such as Honda, Tata, Suzuki, Toyota, Hyundai, and SAIC.
Apart from the high-value growth of the Asia Pacific market, North America holds a mine of potential for the automotive polycarbonate glazing market. The quest for safety and convenience is leading to an underway shift towards the incorporation of polycarbonates in automotive, away from glass, which will upkeep the attractiveness of the region during the forecast period.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on “Automotive Polycarbonate Glazing Market”
Authors of the report anticipate promising opportunities for the automotive polycarbonate glazing market, as cosmetic features such as panoramic roofs lead to better sales prospects. However, besides such features, manufacturers are also realizing the safety feature that automotive polycarbonate glazing offers, which is likely to serve as an instrument to the advancement of the industry. In order to cater to the perpetual rise in demand, market players need to make investments towards the expansion of their production facilities. On top of that, research & development initiatives can be taken up by market players to upgrade the quality of automotive polycarbonate glazing and help automakers achieve reduced weight and increased fuel-efficiency in their vehicles.
Automotive Polycarbonate Glazing Market
- The global automotive polycarbonate glazing market is anticipated to expand at a CAGR of ~9% between 2019 and 2027
- The sun control glazing segment currently holds a prominent share of the global automotive polycarbonate glazing market, and it is likely to gain share, owing to rising preference for cabin comfort among consumers.
- Based on application, the backlite segment holds a leading share of the automotive polycarbonate glazing market, owing to the preferred use of polycarbonate in rear windshields for weight saving.
- The switchable glazing segment is anticipated expand significantly in the global automotive polycarbonate glazing market during the forecast period, owing to a rise in sales of luxury vehicles. Switchable glazing allows the driver to control the amount of tint, and can also automatically control the light penetrating the cabin depending upon the weather outside.
Drivers of Automotive Polycarbonate Glazing Market
The automotive polycarbonate glazing market is expanding rapidly due to its advantages of being lightweight, and possessing superior thermal and molding characteristics.
- The rising demand for fuel efficiency and enhanced esthetic appearance among consumers is anticipated to drive the adoption of polycarbonate glazing. Polycarbonate materials possess superior moldability as compared to that offered by glass, offers designing freedom, and enables the integration of parts that were previously not possible.
- Governments across the globe are enacting stringent regulations to lower vehicle pollution. Countries such as China, India, Brazil, and Mexico are expected to adopt the Euro VI equivalent norms. Automakers are compelled to adopt lightweight materials, such as polycarbonate, in order to comply with the emission standards.
- These factors are expected to act as drivers for the growth of the global automotive polycarbonate glazing market.
Challenges for Automotive Polycarbonate Glazing Market
- Polycarbonates are highly susceptible to scratches. Polycarbonates need to be coated with coating material to enhance their scratch resistance, which drives up the cost of polycarbonate glazing.
- Polycarbonates expand and contract more than glass, which hampers the production of larger weather-seal polycarbonate glazed applications such as front windshields.
- Polycarbonates turn yellow and foggy long before the life expectancy of the vehicle, leading to discomfort to the driver.
- These factors are capable of impeding the growth of the global automotive polycarbonate glazing during the forecast period.
Automotive Polycarbonate Glazing Market: Segment Analysis
- The global automotive polycarbonate glazing market has been segmented based on technology, application, sales channel, vehicle, and region.
- Based on technology, the sun control glazing segment is expected to hold a major share of the global automotive polycarbonate glazing market, owing to the rising consumer demand for fuel-efficient vehicles. Sun control glazing minimizes the load on the heating, ventilation, and air-conditioner unit, and consequently minimizes the load on the engine. The increased demand for comfortable cabin space and rise in stringency of emission norms are anticipated to boost the adoption of sun control glazing.
- In terms of application, the backlit segment dominated the automotive polycarbonate glazing market, due to the high usage of polycarbonate in rear windshield applications, which is the largest glass panel, as manufacturers shift toward lightweighting, and the use of polycarbonate helps reduce weight.
- In terms of sales channel, the OEMs segment is estimated to hold a notable share of the global automotive polycarbonate glazing market, as the polycarbonates supplied for automotive glazing are primarily OEM-fitted. The aftermarket segment is expected to expand in the global automotive polycarbonate glazing market, due to the rising demand for replacements, owing to damages from accidents and vehicle maintenance.
- Based on vehicle, the passenger vehicles segment is expected to hold a dominant share of the global automotive polycarbonate glazing market. The high rate of adoption of advanced technology and consumer demand for fuel-efficiency are estimated to further drive the passenger vehicles segment in the global automotive polycarbonate glazing market.
Global Automotive Polycarbonate Glazing Market: Regional Analysis
- In terms of region, Asia Pacific holds a leading share of the global automotive polycarbonate glazing market, driven by the high automotive production in China and Japan.
- Asia Pacific is followed by Europe and North America in terms of share of the global automotive polycarbonate glazing market. High consumer affordability and stringent emission norms are boosting the adoption of polycarbonates in automotive glazing.
Global Automotive Polycarbonate Glazing Market: Competition Landscape
Key players operating in the global automotive polycarbonate glazing market include
- Covestro AG
- Corning Incorporated
- Nippon Sheet Glass Co., Ltd
- Fuyao Group
- AGC Inc.
- TEIJIN LIMITED
- freeglass GmbH & Co.KG.
- Peerless Plastics and Coatings
- dott.gallina s.r.l.
- KRD Sicherheitstechnik GmbH.
Automotive Polycarbonate Glazing Market – Scope of the Report
Transparency Market Research’s recent report on the automotive polycarbonate glazing market, with the help of a comprehensive outlook, provides readers with an assessment of the global market landscape. This study on the automotive polycarbonate glazing market analyzes the scenario for the period of 2019 to 2027, wherein, 2018 is the base year and 2017 and before is historical data. This report enables readers to make important decisions with regard to their business, with the help of a wealth of information enclosed in the study.
This TMR study on the automotive polycarbonate glazing car market also provides data on the developments made by important players and stakeholders in the market, along with a competitive analysis. The report also provides an understanding of the strengths, weaknesses, threats, and opportunities, along with the trends and restraints in the landscape. Presented in a clear sanctioned manner, this report on the automotive polycarbonate glazing market gives readers an individual understanding of the market.
This study also discusses the underlying trends and the impact of various factors that are driving the automotive polycarbonate glazing market, along with their influence on the evolution of the market.
This study also offers Porter’s Five Point Analysis, value chain analysis, regulatory scenario, and a SWOT analysis of the automotive polycarbonate glazing market, in order to elaborate the crucial growth tactics and opportunities for market players contributing to the market.
Key Questions Answered in this Report on the Automotive Polycarbonate Glazing
- How much revenue will the automotive polycarbonate glazing market generate by the end of the forecast period?
- Which segment of the market is likely to have the maximum market share by 2027?
- What are the other materials that are likely to impact the market for polycarbonates in automotive glazing market
- What regions currently contribute the maximum share to the overall automotive polycarbonate glazing market?
- What are the indicators expected to drive the automotive polycarbonate glazing market?
- What region is likely to be a lucrative market during the forecast period?
- What are the essential strategies incorporated by key stakeholders in the automotive polycarbonate glazing market to expand their geographical presence?
- What are the major advancements witnessed in the automotive polycarbonate glazing market?
- How have regulatory norms affected the market for automotive polycarbonate glazing?
This report answers these questions and more about the automotive polycarbonate glazing market, aiding major stakeholders and key players in making the right decisions and strategizing for the advancement of their business.
Automotive Polycarbonate Glazing Market: Research Methodology
This TMR report on the automotive polycarbonate glazing market is based on a complete and comprehensive evaluation of the market, backed by secondary and primary sources. The competitive scenario of the automotive polycarbonate glazing market is supported by an assessment of the different factors that influence the market on a minute and granular level. By thoroughly analyzing the historical data, current trends with model mapping and announcements by OEMs for automotive glazing, researchers of the automotive polycarbonate glazing market arrive at predictions and estimations, and calculate the forecasts for the market.
This report uses an analytical triangulation method to estimate the numbers and figures of the automotive polycarbonate glazing market, with both, a bottom-up and top-down approach.
Detailed assessment of the automotive polycarbonate glazing market, along with an overview of the landscape, is provided based on careful examination of the avenues related to this industry. Analyst’s conclusions on how the automotive polycarbonate glazing market is set to grow are based on carefully-vetted primary and secondary sources.
Automotive Polycarbonate Glazing Market: Segmentation
This report on the automotive polycarbonate glazing market provides information on the basis of technology, application, sales channel, vehicle, and region.
Sun Control Glazing
Panoramic Roof/ Roof Modules
Light Commercial Vehicles
Heavy Commercial Vehicles
Middle East & Africa