Automated Peritoneal Dialysis Market: Introduction
Automated peritoneal dialysis (APD) method uses a machine, called automated cycler, which performs multiple exchanges at night while the patient is sleeping. The cycler automatically fills the patient’s abdomen with dialysate, allows it to dwell there, and then drains it to a sterile bag that can be emptied in the morning
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Automated Peritoneal Dialysis Market
- Rise in incidence rate of chronic kidney disease across the globe is the major factor driving the market. Chronic kidney disease (CKD) is a global health burden with a high economic cost to health systems and is an independent risk factor for cardiovascular disease (CVD). All stages of CKD are associated with increased risks of cardiovascular morbidity, premature mortality, and/or decreased quality of life. The healthcare burden is highest in early stages due to increased prevalence, affecting around 35% of those over 70 years. As per CDC data, CKD is more common in people aged 65 years or older (38%) as compared to that in people aged 45–64 years (13%) or 18–44 years (7%). CKD is more common in women (15%) than men (12%). CKD is more common in non-Hispanic blacks (16%) than in non-Hispanic whites (13%) or non-Hispanic Asians (12%). GlobPeritoneal Dialysisally, in 2017, 1·2 million people died from CKD.
- Rise in prevalence of diabetes and hypertension also leads to kidney damage. Diabetes is the leading cause of kidney disease. About 1 out of 3 adults with diabetes has kidney disease. Prevalence of diabetes is expected to increase exponentially worldwide due to change in lifestyle and various factors such as malnutrition and genetic mutations. According to various government and private organizations operating in the diabetes industry, diabetes is considered one of the top fatal diseases. As per American Diabetes Association data, in 2018, 34.2 million people in the U.S., or 10.5% of the population, had diabetes. Nearly 1.6 million people in the U.S. have type 1 diabetes, including about 187,000 children and adolescents.
- Product recall of few automated peritoneal dialysis systems may hamper the market. A product recall is defined as a request to return, exchange, or replace a product after a manufacturer or consumer-watch group discovers defects that could hinder performance, harm consumers, or produce legal issues for manufacturers. In October 2010, Fresenius Medical Care Holdings, Inc. recalled its LIBERTY Automated Peritoneal Dialysis System Line Cycler Set. Cycle set cassettes was leaking due to holes/scratches in the film, contaminating dialysate and potentially resulting in peritonitis. In March 2014, Baxter recalled Dianeal PD-2 Peritoneal Dialysis Solution, as the company had received complaints about the solution that had turned into mold.
Pharmaceutical companies to dominate global automated peritoneal dialysis market
- Based on end-user, the global automated peritoneal dialysis market can be divided into in-center dialysis and home dialysis
- In terms of revenue, the in-center dialysis segment accounted for a prominent share of the global market in 2019 owing to an increase in funding and investments by governments and a rise in the number of dialysis centers. New product launches along with availability of healthcare professionals in dialysis centers are also estimated to further propel the market during the forecast period.
North America is estimated to dominate the Global Automated Peritoneal Dialysis Market
- In terms of region, the global automated peritoneal dialysis market can be divided into: North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America accounted for a notable share of the global automated peritoneal dialysis in 2019, followed by Europe. Increasing prevalence of kidney disorders boosts the market in the region. According to National Kidney Foundation Inc., chronic kidney disease affects an estimated 37 million people in the U.S. (15% of the adult population; more than 1 in 7 adults) and approximately 90% of those with CKD don’t even know they have it.
- Developing economies in Asia Pacific are projected to expand at a notable CAGR during the forecast period. Chronic kidney disease (CKD) is a major health issue for underdeveloped countries of Southeast Asia, home to more than 2 billion people. The true incidence and prevalence in the region is not known; however, estimates suggest that the prevalence may be more than that reported in Western societies.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Market
The global automated peritoneal dialysis market was highly fragmented in 2019. Key manufacturers operating in the global market are:
- Fresenius Medical Care AG & Co
- Baxter International Inc
- Newsol Technologies Inc
- Renax Biomedical Tech. Co., Ltd
- Terumo Corp
Automated Peritoneal Dialysis Market: Research Scope
Automated Peritoneal Dialysis Market, by End-user
- In-center Dialysis
- Home Dialysis
Automated Peritoneal Dialysis Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!