Ataxia Treatment Market: Introduction
- Ataxia is a degenerative disease of the nervous system, which causes movement disorder. Patients of ataxia have issues while moving parts of body or the muscles in the arms and legs without coordination
- Symptoms of ataxia include lack of coordination, difficulty in walking, trouble while eating & swallowing, slurred speech, tremors, deterioration of fine motor skills, etc.
- Ataxia primarily occurs due to genetic factors, which are hereditary or familial, and acquired factors such as vitamin deficiencies, autoimmune conditions, some infections, exposure to toxic substances or drugs (especially alcohol), and various cancers
- There is no specific treatment for ataxia itself. If ataxia is a symptom of another disorder, the physician is likely to treat that disorder. Symptoms are generally treated by medications.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Ataxia Treatment Market
- Rise in prevalence of ataxia with improving diagnosis rate and technological advancements in pharmacotherapy to treat symptoms of ataxia are key drivers fueling the ataxia treatment market
- For instance, as per data provided by National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD), the prevalence of Friedreich’s Ataxia (FRDA) is around 1 in 40,000 people. FRDA is a highly common inherited ataxia in Europe, the Middle East, South Asia (Indian subcontinent), and North Africa
- Extensive research and development activities with pipeline drugs is also driving the global ataxia treatment market
- Government initiatives to increase awareness about ataxia and support provided by various organizations are also major factors boosting the ataxia treatment market
- However, no single product approved for treatment of ataxia is hampering the global ataxia treatment market
- Recent expiry of certain drugs that treat symptomatic ataxia is also restraining the ataxia treatment market
Pharmacotherapy Segment Dominated Global Ataxia Treatment Market
- In terms of treatment type, the global ataxia treatment market can be segmented into pharmacotherapy, physical therapy, speech therapy, and others
- The pharmacotherapy segment accounted for a major share of the global market in 2019 due to better efficacy to treat symptoms, long-lasting effects, and pipeline products
Genetic Ataxia to Witness Significant Growth
- In terms of disease type, the global ataxia treatment market can be divided into genetic ataxia, acquired ataxia, and idiopathic
- The genetic ataxia segment is likely to expand at a notable CAGR during the forecast period due to more prevalent form of disease, genetic hereditary transfer from parents, and research activities for genetic ataxia treatment
North America to Dominate Global Ataxia Treatment Market
- In terms of region, the global ataxia treatment market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- In terms of revenue, North America dominated the global ataxia treatment market in 2019 owing to a rise in prevalence of ataxia, increase in government funding for research activities, and various support organizations for patient diagnosis & treatment
- For instance, National Ataxia Foundation (NAF) is a membership supported nonprofit organization established in 1957 to help persons with ataxia and their families in the U.S. NAF is the only organization in the U.S. dedicated to the disease that serves all types of Ataxia.
- Asia Pacific is likely to be a highly lucrative market for ataxia treatment during the forecast period. The market in the region is projected to expand at a high CAGR from 2020 to 2030.
- Higher patient population with genetic strains of ataxia, growing awareness regarding ataxia, and government initiatives to curb these disorders are anticipated to propel the market in Asia Pacific during the forecast period
Key players Operating in Global Ataxia Treatment Market
The global ataxia treatment market was highly fragmented in 2019. Key players operating in the global market are:
- Pfizer, Inc.
- Acorda Therapeutics, Inc.
- AstraZeneca plc
- GlaxoSmithKline plc
- Eli Lilly and Company
- Forest Laboratories
- H. Lundbeck A/S
- Johnson & Johnson
- Merck & Co., Inc.
- Sanofi S.A.
Global Ataxia Treatment Market: Research Scope
Global Ataxia Treatment Market, by Treatment Type
- Physical Therapy
- Speech Therapy
Global Ataxia Treatment Market, by Disease Type
- Genetic Ataxia
- Acquired Ataxia
Global Ataxia Treatment Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!