Anorexiant Drugs: Introduction
- Obesity is a disorder, in which excess body fat is accumulated to such an extent that it could have negative effects on health. It occurs over time when people eat more calories than they utilize. Obesity increases the risk of developing chronic diseases such as breast cancer, colon cancer, type 2 diabetes, endometrial cancer, cardiovascular diseases, and musculoskeletal disorders. According to the World Health Organization, obesity affected around 650 million adults and 340 million children and adolescents in 2016. This disease is preventable through lifestyle modifications. A person is considered obese when his/her body mass index (BMI) is greater than 30. Obesity occurs due to reasons such as inactivity, genetics, family lifestyle, unhealthy diet, medications, age, and pregnancy.
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF sample of this report
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Anorexiant Drugs Market
- According to the WHO, globally, obesity has nearly tripled since 1975. In 2019, an estimated 38.2 million children under the age of 5 years were overweight or obese. Once considered a high-income country problem, overweight and obesity have increased in low- and middle-income countries, particularly in urban settings. In Africa, the number of overweight children under 5 has increased by nearly 24% since 2000. Around half of the children under 5 who were overweight or obese in 2019 lived in Asia.
- Demand for anorexiant drugs is driven by increase in incidence of obesity, rise in the geriatric population, surge in lifestyle disorders, and other factors. Moreover, investment in research & development by major players augments the global market. Chronic nature of obesity, which leads to various other diseases, and increase in disposable income also fuel the growth of the global anorexiant drugs market. However, adoption of alternative treatments such as exercise, lifestyle changes, surgeries for morbid obese patients, and side effects of anti-obesity drugs hamper the growth of the global market.
- Increase in health care expenditure and rise in awareness about obesity also propel the global market
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF Brochure of this report
Asia Pacific to Lead Global Anorexiant Drugs Market
- In terms of region, the global anorexiant drugs market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa. North America and Europe are expected to hold major share of the global anorexiant drugs market during the forecast period, owing to developed health care infrastructure, large patient population, and increasing technological developments.
- Rapid adoption of emerging technologies and surge in innovation are the important aspects that present opportunities in Asia Pacific and the Middle East. Moreover, rapid growth and development of the pharmaceutical industry, rise in availability of branded drugs, and increase in burden of obesity related disorders have a positive impact on the market in these regions. Improvement in health care infrastructure, rise in use of combination therapies, and increase in pharmaceutical imports are likely to create opportunities for market players to expand their geographic presence in the Middle East.
Key Players Operating in Global Anorexiant Drugs Market
Rise in prevalence of obesity in several parts of the world has increased the degree of competition among players in the global anorexiant drugs market. Companies have been making significant investments in the development of agents with increased weight-loss efficacy and a high safety threshold. This gives players a greater chance of approval from regulatory bodies such as the U.S. FDA.
Leading companies operating in the global anorexiant drugs market are:
- Boehringer Ingelheim GmbH
- Arena Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Takeda Pharmaceuticals Company Limited
- Zydus Cadila (Rhythm Pharmaceuticals)
- Merck & Co. Inc.
- Eisai Co. Ltd.
- Novo Nordisk A/S
- Orexigen Therapeutics, Inc.
- Zafgen (GlaxoSmithKline plc)
- Norgine B.V.
- Pfizer, Inc.
- F. Hoffmann-La Roche AG
Global Anorexiant Drugs Market: Research Scope
Global Anorexiant Drugs Market, by Drug Class
- Catecholamines Anorexiants
- Serotonin Anorexiants
Global Anorexiant Drugs Market, by Route of Administration
Global Anorexiant Drugs Market, by End-user
- Retail Sales
- Online Pharmacies
- Mail Order Pharmacies
Global Anorexiant Drugs Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note:Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.