Ambulatory Mammography: Introduction
- The process of using a small dose of radiation to identify breast abnormalities is known as mammography. During the life span, about one out of every eight women globally is at danger of developing breast cancer and about one percent of all breast cancers occur in men.
- The regular breast self-exams and mammograms are helping to improve early diagnosis and treatment of breast cancer
- Digital mammography, breast tomosynthesis, and computer-aided detection are the type of advanced mammography
- Full-field digital mammography (FFDM) or digital mammography, is a system in which the x-ray film is substituted by electronics that change x-rays into mammographic pictures of the breast. These images of the breast are moved to a computer for evaluation by the radiologist and long-term storage.
- Computer-aided detection methods search digitized mammographic pictures for irregular areas of mass, density, or calcification that may specify the presence of cancer
- Breast tomosynthesis, or digital breast tomosynthesis (DBT), is a progressive form of breast imaging where numerous images of the breast from various angles are taken and synthesized into a 3D image set.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Ambulatory Mammography Market
High Incidence of Breast Cancer and Aging Demographics
- Breast cancer commonly occurs among women aged more than 40 years. According to a recent article published by the National Cancer Institute, U.S., reviewed on September 2018, 12.4% of women born in the U.S. are likely to develop breast cancer in their lifetime; i.e. 1 among 8 women would be diagnosed with breast cancer.
- According to the World Health Organization (WHO) statistics published in December 2018, 1.7 million i.e. 11.9% people have been diagnosed with breast cancer globally in 2017. Out of 184 countries in the world, breast cancer is frequently diagnosed in 140 countries. Incidence of breast cancer is higher in developed countries while the mortality rate is higher in developing and economically backward countries due to lack of early diagnosis and lack of availability of the necessary health care and treatment facilities.
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF sample of this report
Stringent Regulatory Approval Procedures
- Most of the technologies used in the mammography process involve the use of radioactive material. Any woman undergoing breast screening is directly exposed to potentially harmful radiations. Considering the health hazards of radiation exposure to the human body, it is important to maintain low dose of radioactive material to be administered to the patient during the screening procedure.
- International regulatory authorities such as the U.S. Food and Drug Administration have shown high concerns about patient safety and that of medical technicians and other healthcare staff who are exposed to such equipment. In order to address this situation, stringent policies are being put up by regulatory authorities and similar other government agencies worldwide to ensure the product efficacy and safety, before it is commercialized.
- Maintaining patient and product safety while simultaneously complying with regulations of the regulatory authorities, is a difficult undertaking for new players willing to enter in the market. This often results in delay in final commercialization of the product and possibly increase the product cost to its users. Simultaneous availability of cheaper and older or refurbished versions of scanning tools may lead to holding back the growth of the ambulatory mammography market.
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF Brochure of this report
Digital Mammography Systems Segment to Grow at Rapid Pace in Global Market
- In terms of product, the global ambulatory mammography market can be classified into analog mammography systems and digital mammography systems
- The digital mammography systems segment is expected to grow at significant growth rate during the forecast period. Growth of the segment can be attributed to increase in demand for technologically advanced mammography systems. Moreover, more educated consumers and buyers are fueling growth and acceptance of the digital mammography systems segment.
- Based on technology, the global ambulatory mammography market can be divided into 2-D mammography, 3-D mammography, and combined 2-D and 3-D mammography
Asia Pacific Ambulatory Mammography Market to Expand at a Rapid Pace
- In terms of region, the global ambulatory mammography market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America showed the highest demand for ambulatory mammography in 2018, followed by Europe. A highly developed healthcare infrastructure, higher acceptance ratios for newly developed technologies, and a high rate of awareness of breast cancer and available treatments and technologies favor North America in the ambulatory mammography market. Asia Pacific is expected to be a lucrative market for breast imaging due to rapidly increasing medical tourism industry in countries such as India and China. In spite of government initiatives, lack of awareness is the major factor that is restraining the growth of the ambulatory mammography market in the Middle East & Africa and Latin America.
Leading Players Operating in Global Ambulatory Mammography Market
The global ambulatory mammography market was highly fragmented in 2018. Key players operating in the global ambulatory mammography market are:
- Analogic Corporation
- BMI Biomedical International
- Carestream Health
- GE Healthcare
Global Ambulatory Mammography Market: Research Scope
Global Ambulatory Mammography Market, by Product
- Analog Mammography Systems
- Digital Mammography Systems
Global Ambulatory Mammography Market, by Technology
- 2-D Mammography
- 3-D Mammography
- Combined 2-D and 3-D Mammography
Global Ambulatory Mammography Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note:Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.