Alport Syndrome Market: Introduction
- Alport syndrome is a rare genetic condition characterized by kidney disease, hearing loss, and eye abnormalities. This condition is caused by mutation in the genes COL4A3, COL4A4, and COL4A5, which are involved in the production of proteins such as type IV collagen. Patients suffering from Alport syndrome suffer from progressive loss of kidney function. Presence of blood in urine indicates abnormal functioning of the kidneys. A number of patients suffering from Alport syndrome develop high levels of proteins in the urine. As the condition progresses, the kidney function deteriorates leading to end-stage renal disease (ESRD).
- People suffering from Alport syndrome experience inner ear abnormalities such as sensorineural hearing loss and vision loss. Eye abnormalities, hearing loss, and progressive kidney diseases are more common in men than women. Alport syndrome is quite rare and occurs in 1 in 50,000 newborns. Nearly 80% of Alport syndrome cases are caused by mutations in the COL4A5 gene located in the X chromosome. The other 15% of Alport syndrome cases is a result of mutations in the COL4A3 or COL4A4 genes. There is no cure for Alport syndrome; however, rich product pipeline promises effective treatment for the syndrome. Advanced diagnostic techniques for Alport syndrome are likely to help in the management of the symptoms and side effects.
Get an Idea about the Offerings of Our Alport Syndrome Market Report from this Brochure
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Alport Syndrome Market
- Alport syndrome is a major cause of kidney disease among the patient population. Rise in prevalence of genetic disorders is likely to augment the global Alport syndrome market. There is no cure for this syndrome. Hence, availability of drugs for the management of its symptoms such as high blood pressure is projected to boost the growth of the global market. Demand for genetic testing as an effective diagnostic procedure for Alport syndrome is anticipated to drive the global Alport syndrome market. Moreover, skin biopsy and kidney biopsy are used for diagnosis of the early symptoms of Alport syndrome and faster adoption of these diagnostic techniques is a major factor propelling the global market. High investments by the key players and initiatives by governments for research and development of drugs for managing Alport syndrome and its symptoms are likely to propel the global Alport syndrome market. Hence, faster adoption and availability of diagnostic tests across the globe are anticipated to augment the global Alport syndrome market. However, low awareness about the syndrome and its lower diagnosis rates in underdeveloped countries act as major restraints of the global Alport syndrome market.
North America to Lead Global Alport Syndrome Market
- In terms of region, the global Alport syndrome market can be divided into: North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America dominated the global Alport syndrome market owing to the increase in incidence of the condition, advanced health care system, and presence of diagnostics companies. Additionally, advanced diagnostic tests and broad network of laboratories are anticipated to fuel the growth of the Alport syndrome market in North America. According to the Alport Syndrome Foundation, Alport syndrome affected around 200,000 people in the U.S. in 2017. Moreover, the syndrome is estimated to affect around 1 in 5,000 to 10,000 people in the country, which is 30,000 to 60,000 people. Moreover, Alport syndrome is estimated to affect around 3% of children with chronic kidney disease (CKD) and 0.2% of adults with end stage renal disease (ESRD). These factors drive demand for early diagnosis, development of advanced genetic testing kits, and faster adoption of skin and kidney biopsy for Alport syndrome. Moreover, robust research & development and rich product pipelines of the major players are likely to propel the Alport syndrome market in the region.
- Europe was the second largest market for Alport syndrome diagnostics in 2018, followed by Asia Pacific. Clinical trials by key players and availability of advanced diagnostic tests for Alport syndrome are likely to augment the Alport syndrome market in Europe. Approval of Bardoxolone methyl by the EMA in May 2018 for chronic kidney disease, a symptom of Alport syndrome substantiates the fast track approval in Europe. Asia Pacific is projected to be the fastest growing market for Alport syndrome diagnostics. Developing health care facilities, rise in awareness, and development of diagnostic kits such as genetic tests, kidney biopsy, and other blood tests are anticipated to augment the Alport syndrome market in Asia Pacific.
Expanding Operations in Future? To Get the Perfect Launch Ask for a Custom Alport Syndrome Market Report
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Alport Syndrome Market
The global Alport syndrome market is highly fragmented. Key players in the global Alport syndrome market are:
- Illumina, Inc.
- Merck KGaA (Sigma-Aldrich, Inc.)
- PerkinElmer, Inc.
- F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd.
- Centogene AG
- Myriad Women’s Health, Inc.
- Quest Diagnostics
Global Alport Syndrome Market: Research Scope
Global Alport Syndrome Market, by Disease Type
- X-linked Alport Syndrome (XLAS)
- Autosomal Recessive Alport Syndrome (ARAS)
- Autosomal Dominant Alport Syndrome (ADAS)
Global Alport Syndrome Market, by Diagnosis
- Kidney Biopsy
- Skin Biopsy
- Genetic Testing
- Other Tests
Global Alport Syndrome Market, by End-user
- Diagnostic Centers & Laboratories
Global Alport Syndrome Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.