AFM Probe Market: Introduction
- Atomic force microscopy (AFM) is a powerful technique that enables the imaging of almost any type of surface, including polymers, ceramics, composites, glass, and biological samples
- Atomic force microscopy (AFM) is one kind of observation method that takes advantage of the atomic force between the probe and the sample surface.
- The working principle of the atomic force microscope (AFM) is based on the forces that arise when sample surface is scanned with nanometer-sized tip (a few to 10s of nm) attached to cantilever
- Advantage of AFM over traditional stylus surface profilers is that a feedback loop is used to control the forces between surface and probe. A very small probe can be used and would not break while capturing an image, as the forces are controlled.
- AFM is widely known for mapping surface topography; however, that alone does not always provide answers that researcher need to understand the material. Fortunately, AFM can be characterized a wide array of mechanical properties (e.g. adhesion, stiffness, friction, dissipation and viscoelasticity); electrical properties (e.g. capacitance, electrostatic forces, electric current, conductivity and resistance); magnetic properties; and thermal properties; as a result of its capability to measure varying forces arising between tip and sample. In addition to imaging, the AFM probe can be used to manipulate, write, or even pull on substrates in lithography and molecular pulling experiments.
- An AFM is operated in two basic modes: contact and tapping. In the contact mode, the AFM tip is in continuous contact with the surface. In the tapping mode, the AFM cantilever is vibrated above the sample surface such that the tip is only in intermittent contact with the surface. This process helps reduce shear forces associated with the tip movement. The tapping mode is the recommended mode that is commonly used for AFM imaging. The contact mode is only used for specific applications, such as force curve measurements. The AFM is utilized to image and manipulate atoms and structures on various surfaces.
- The AFM has become a common tool for material characterization alongside optical and electron microscopy, due to its flexibility, achieving resolutions down to the nanometer scale and beyond. The AFM can operate in environments from ultra-high vacuum to fluids, and therefore cuts across all disciplines ranging from physics and chemistry to biology and materials science.
Rise Demand for AFM Probe in Semiconductor and Electronics industries
- Popularity of semiconductors and electronics is increasing at a rapid pace. Advanced microscopes such as transmission electron microscopes, atomic force microscopes, 3D optical microscopes, and confocal microscopes are extensively employed in the semiconductor sector. In the semiconductor sector, AFM is widely utilized for R&D, quality control (QC), process development monitoring, and failure analysis. Increased demand for small transistor chips, nanoelectronics, quantum dots, and optoelectronics in the semiconductor sector is driving the demand for microscopes.
Asia Pacific to Lead the AFM Probe Market
- In terms of region, the AFM probe market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, South America, and Middle East & Africa
- The AFM probe market in Asia Pacific is anticipated to expand at a notable CAGR during the forecast period
- This expansion is attributed to a wide range of applications in diverse industries such as electrical and electronics and manufacturing owing to new technology development. Thus, the factors are expected to increase the demand for AFM probe products.
- The AFM probe market in North America and Europe is expected to expand at a high growth rate due to the presence of major players and increased competition among them. The market in Middle East & Africa is likely to expand at a consistent pace.
Key Players in the Global Market
The AFM probe market is highly fragmented as large number of medium and large enterprises are present. Prominent players operating in the global market are focusing on new technological developments to meet the growing demand.
Key players operating in the global AFM probe market include:
- Bruker Corporation
- NT- MDT LLC
- Asylum Research (Oxford Instruments)
- Olympus Corporation
- Team Nanotec GmbH
- NaugaNeedles LLC
- Park Systems
- Hitachi High-Tech Corporation
- Nanosurf AG
- NanoMagnetics Instruments
- Nanonics Imaging
- AFM Workshop
- Anton Paar GmbH
- Semilab Inc
- Concept Scientific Instruments
- Nano Scan Technologies
- GETec Microscopy GmbH
- Anfatec Instruments
- Integrated Circuit Scanning Probe Instruments Corporation
AFM Probe Market: Research Scope
AFM Probe Market, by Type
- Small Sample AFM
- Large Sample AFM
- High Vacuum AFM
AFM Probe Market, by Applications
- Nano fabrication
- Nano lithography
- Solar cell
- Cell biology
AFM Probe Market, by End-use Industry
- Electrical and electronics
- Life science
AFM Probe Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of North America
- Russia & Commonwealth Independent States
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- South America
- Rest of South America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa