Adaptogens, special class of non-toxic substances or plant extracts that help the body adapt to stress, have recently witnessed a gradual increase in demand. As consumers across the globe are shifting towards products that contain ingredients to boost immunity and reduce stress, manufacturers in the food industry are exploring the potential use of adaptogenic herbs as food and beverage ingredients. The rise in the popularity of adaptogens has brought on a range of beverages that seek to improve mental and bodily functions.
While various brands are gaining mainstream attention using adaptogens, foodservice outlets are also experimenting with these ingredients. Interestingly, adaptogen herbs such as maca, holy basil, have been used for centuries in numerous healing traditions, brewed into teas, consumed as supplements, and eaten as a part of the meal. In the recent times, these herbs are found in growing list of powders, teas, and drinks, subsequently stimulating the development of adaptogenic beverages market.
Adaptogenic Beverages Market – Novel Developments
- In April 2019, REBBL, a leading player in the adaptogenic beverages market, announced the addition of three new flavors to its line of ‘super herb elixirs’ including Mint Chip Protein, Hazelnut Chocolate Protein, and Yerba Mate Mint Latte. These new range of beverages include adaptogenic ingredients such as ashwagandha, and also boast a low sugar content. REBBL is known for its ready-to-drink functional beverages such as Matcha Latte, Maca Cold-Brew Coffee, Maca Mocha, and Golden Milk with Turmeric.
- In February 2019, Califia Farms, best known for its innovative plant-based beverages including Maca-Nilla almond milk which contain maca roots, launched a new line of oat milk called Übermilk.
- In July 2018, Four Sigmatic, a company that specializes in functional mushrooms, launched new Golden and Chai Latte products that deliver beauty products. The Golden Latte features shiitake mushrooms and turmeric, while the Chai Latte include ingredients such as reishi mushrooms, turkey tail mushrooms, and carminative spices. The company uses adaptogens derived from mushrooms such as maitake, reishi, and chaga, in its line of elixirs, coffee, and super blends of various mushrooms.
- In October 2017, GT’s Living Foods launched GT’s Alive sparkling probiotic ciders which comes in three distinct varieties featuring different adpatogenic mushroom used in traditional mushrooms. GT’s Alive also has a line of adaptogenic tea featuring a steeped trio of adaptogenic mushroom – chaga, reishi, and turkey tail.
- In April 2017, Immordl introduced its nitro-infused super coffee supplements elixir which won the VegWorld Magazine’s ‘Best of Show’ Award at 2017 Natural Products Expo West. The super coffee consists of functional super-herbs such as organic maca, rhodiola rosea, and organic guarana.
Adaptogenic Beverages Market – Dynamics
Demand for Added Nutritional Value in Food & Beverages to Underpin Adaptogenic Beverages Market Growth
Although the adaptogenic beverages market is still at the infancy stage, leading players as well as small players in the beverage space are significantly contributing to its development. For instance, in August 2017, Starbucks launched Latte with Turmeric in London called ‘Golden Milk’. Owing to wide range of nutrients and benefits associated with adaptogens, beverage manufactures are adopting them as a key ingredient in their products. In addition, several companies are taking this concept to new heights through introduction of powder packets and tins of adaptogenic herbs which can be combined for a drinkable mix. Further, the adaptogenic beverages meet the demands for on-the-go forms of nutrition and personal care which prioritize ease and convenience alongside health. These are the important factors that provide potential growth prospects of the adaptogenic beverages market.
Adaptogenic Beverages to Witness Steady Growth as Consumers Continue to Seek New Ingredients
Interest in adaptogens such as maca, ashwagandha, rosea, medicinal mushrooms and others has been on the rise in beverages as they are easy to formulate and consumers are increasingly looking for products that deliver nutritional and functional benefits. Moreover, they are willing to try new ingredients in beverages instead of food, influencing the development of beverages featuring adaptogens. Beverage manufacturers stepping into the relatively young adpatogenic beverages market are focusing on innovative delivery forms such as ready-to-drink and meal replacement beverages. Rise in the demand and interest for ingredients with adpatogenic properties is likely to directly influence the growth of adaptogenic beverages market. However, these ingredients and their benefits to health are still unknown to various mainstream consumers which may pose a potential threat to the expansion of adaptogenic beverages market.
Adaptogenic Beverage Market Segmentation
On the basis of ingredients, the adaptogenic beverages market can be segmented into:
- Holy Basil
On the basis of distribution channel, the adpatogenic beverages market can be segmented into:
- Modern Trade Channel
- Health & Beauty Stores
- Online Retailers
- Other Retail Formats
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.