Acute Pancreatitis Treatment Market: Introduction
- Acute pancreatitis is a sudden inflammation in the pancreas due to various reasons including gallstone, systemic disease, and heavy alcohol use. Usually, gallstones cause about 40% of cases of acute pancreatitis. Mild acute pancreatitis is treated with short-term hospitalization where fluids are given by vein (intravenously), analgesics are administered for pain relief, and nutritional diet. Moderately severe acute pancreatitis requires hospitalization for a longer period of time and patients are given intravenous fluids. In case of severe acute pancreatitis, patients are admitted to the ICU for further treatment.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Acute Pancreatitis Treatment Market
- The incidence of acute pancreatitis is increasing worldwide due to an increase in rates of obesity and gallstones. According to WHO, in 2016, 39% of adults aged 18 years and over were overweight. Overall, about 13% of the world's adult population (11% of men and 15% of women) was obese in 2016. The worldwide prevalence of obesity nearly tripled between 1975 and 2016. Incidence of acute pancreatitis was reported from 17 countries across Europe and ranged from 4.6 to 100 per 100 000 population. Incidence was usually highest in eastern or northern Europe; however, reported rates often varied according to case ascertainment criteria. Currently, acute pancreatitis is a highly common reason for hospitalization for a gastrointestinal related disease in the U.S.
- However, poor reimbursement policies for the treatment may hamper the market. Acute pancreatitis (AP) is a highly common gastrointestinal cause for hospitalization in the U.S. The estimated total cost for acute pancreatitis admissions was US$ 2.2 billion at a mean cost per hospitalization of US$ 9870, and a mean cost per hospital day of US$ 1670. Poor reimbursement for the treatment procedure may negatively impact lower-middle income countries, which is likely to hamper the market.
Device-based Therapy to Dominate Global Acute Pancreatitis Treatment Market
- Based on treatment type, the global acute pancreatitis treatment market can be divided into drug therapy, device based therapy, and others. The drug-based therapy segment can be further segregated into analgesics, antibiotics, and others. The device based-therapy segment can be further classified into intravenous fluid, endoscopic retrograde Cholangiopancreatography (ERCP), and surgery. The others segment can be split into nutritional support, antioxidant therapy, and others.
- The device-based therapy segment dominated the global acute pancreatitis treatment market, in terms of revenue generation, in 2019. Intravenous fluid is the primary treatment for acute pancreatitis, which is done within the first 24 hours of onset. The success rate in performing Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) procedure varies from 70% to 95%, depending on the experience of the physician.
- However, the drug therapy segment is estimated to expand at a notable CAGR during the forecast period due to pipeline products and rising investment of pharmaceutical companies. In 2019, the active pain pipeline is populated by 909 products across all stages of development. In 2017, Sanofi launched a topical analgesic, Combiflam Icyhot in the pain-care segment and extended its portfolio.
Hospitals Segment Witness Highest Growth
- Based on end-user, the global acute pancreatitis treatment market can be divided into hospitals, ambulatory surgical centers and others
- The hospitals segment accounted for a prominent share of the acute pancreatitis treatment market in 2019. It is also estimated to expand at a notable CAGR during the forecast period. Hospitals are always well-equipped with all facilities under one roof, which prompts acute pancreatic patients to visit hospitals for treatment. Increasing penetration of connected devices and instruments is another factor boosting hospital visits. Gallstone is a major cause of acute pancreatitis. Approximately 20 million people in the U.S. have gallstones. Of these people, there are approximately 300,000 cholecystectomies performed annually.
North America to Dominate Global Acute Pancreatitis Treatment Market
- In terms of region, the global acute pancreatitis treatment market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- In terms of revenue, North America dominated the acute pancreatitis treatment followed by Europe. The reported annual incidence of acute pancreatitis in the U.S. ranges from 4.9 to 35 per 100,000 population.
- However, the market in Asia Pacific is estimate to expand at a significant CAGR during the forecast period due to vast patient population, which is rising. Moreover, increasing investment in healthcare in the region further boosts the market. In Japan, the estimated number of patients with AP showed a 1.8-fold increase in the last decade. Based on the survey published in NCBI in 2015, the prevalence in Japan was 49.4 per 100,000 population.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Market
The global acute pancreatitis treatment market was highly fragmented in 2019. Key manufacturers operating in the global market are:
- SCM Lifescience
- Samsung Bioepis
- GNT Pharma Co
- B. Braun Melsungen AG
- General Electric Company
- Abbott Laboratories
- Sun BioPharma, Inc
- Boston Scientific Corporation
- Fresenius Kabi USA
- Novartis AG
Acute Pancreatitis Treatment Market: Research Scope
Acute Pancreatitis Treatment Market, by Treatment type
- Drug Therapy
- Device Based Therapy
- Intravenous Fluid
- Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography (ERCP)
- Nutritional Support
- Antioxidant therapy
Acute Pancreatitis Treatment Market, by End User
- Ambulatory Surgical Centers
Acute Pancreatitis Treatment Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.