- Achondroplasia is a genetic disorder characterized by underdevelopment of bones, particularly the long bones of the body leading to dwarfism. The word ‘achondroplasia’ literally means ‘without cartilage formation’. However, the problem with the condition is not with cartilage formation, but with conversion of cartilage to bones, a process called ossification. Achondroplasia is caused by a mutation in the fibroblast growth factor receptor 3 (FGFR3) gene that results in its protein being overactive. The disorder has an autosomal dominant mode of inheritance; meaning only one mutated copy of the gene is required for the condition to occur. Achondroplasia is also the most common form of dwarfism. The condition is known to affect 1 in 15,000 to 40,000 newborns.
- Achondroplasia is characterized by short arms and legs, but typically a normal length torso. The average adult height of those affected ranges from 4 ft to 4.4 ft. Other common features include short arms and legs, average-size trunk, an enlarged head, and a prominent or protruding forehead. The complications or risk factors associated include breathing difficulties such as sleep apnea, obesity, spinal stenosis, and recurrent ear infections. The disorder does not generally affect intelligence.
Are you a Start-up willing to make it Big in the Business? Grab an Exclusive PDF Brochure of Achondroplasia Treatment Market Report
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Achondroplasia Treatment Market
- Currently, there is no cure or prevention for achondroplasia. However, growth hormone therapy and surgery is used to minimize the conditions and help the patient to have apparently normal growth and life. Other supportive treatments are used to treat or prevent complications such as obesity, hydrocephalus, obstructive sleep apnea, middle ear infections, or spinal stenosis.
- Rise in awareness about timely diagnosis of congenital disorders is projected to propel the global achondroplasia treatment market during the forecast period. Rise in cases of achondroplasia results in increase in research & development by companies and research institutes in clinical trials to manufacture novel therapeutics. Increase in investment in research & development for the treatment and management of achondroplasia is expected to drive the global market during the forecast period.
- However, poor reimbursement, lack of awareness, and short duration effectiveness of growth hormone therapy is anticipated to hamper market growth
Supportive Therapy to Lead Global Market
- The global achondroplasia treatment market can be segmented based on treatment type, end-user, and region
- In terms of treatment type, the global achondroplasia treatment market can be divided into growth hormone therapy, surgery, and supportive therapy. Supportive therapy is projected to be the fastest growing segment of the global achondroplasia treatment market.
- Based on end-user, the global achondroplasia treatment market can be classified into hospitals, specialty clinics, retail pharmacies, and others
Stuck in a Neck-to-Neck Competition with Other Brands? Request a Custom Report on “Achondroplasia Treatment Market” here
Asia Pacific to be Lucrative Market
- The global achondroplasia treatment market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Improving health care infrastructure, rise in awareness about timely diagnosis of underlying disorders, and large undiagnosed patient population are anticipated to present significant opportunities in the achondroplasia treatment market in Asia Pacific in the near future. Increase in public and private health care expenditure in countries such as China, India, and Brazil is expected to attract manufacturers toward these markets.
Key Players Operating in Global Achondroplasia Treatment Market
Leading players in the global achondroplasia treatment market include:
- Ascendis Pharma A/S
- BioMarin Pharmaceutical, Inc.
- Ribomic, Inc.
Global Achondroplasia Treatment Market: Research Scope
Global Achondroplasia Treatment Market, by Treatment Type
- Growth Hormone Therapy
- Supportive Therapy
Global Achondroplasia Treatment Market, by End-user
- Specialty Clinics
- Retail Pharmacies
Global Achondroplasia Treatment Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note:Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.