Sutures, generally called stitches, are sterilized, surgical threads that are used for wound closure. They are primarily used to close incisions resulting due to a surgery. They are used by doctors and surgeons to hold skin, blood vessels, internal organs, and various other tissues of the body together after they have been detached by incision, injury, or surgery. Surgical suture closure creates an environment for faster healing of the wound. Tissues are fastened with sutures until ample healing occurs to enable patients to endure stress without any mechanical support.
A variety of sutures, with varied properties are available according to the usage. Sutures can be widely categorized into two types: non-absorbable sutures and absorbable sutures. An absorbable suture dissolves in tissue after a certain time period. It degenerates as the wound or incision cures. A non-absorbable suture does not dissolve in the body and has to be removed by a surgeon after a surface incision has healed. An ideal suture should be strong, non-toxic, hypoallergenic, and flexible. In addition, sutures should not absorb fluid to avoid unwanted infection.
The category of suture used depends on the type of surgery, nature of the location, and the preference and professional understanding of the surgeon.
Development of advanced wound care dressings and availability of alternatives such as surgical staplers and complications such as hemorrhage, leakage especially in esophageal and colonic anastomosis and diverticular formation are a few factors restraining the expansion of the absorbable sutures market.
Sutures placed internally require to be removed, and those present on the outside can be removed easily without any re-opening of the wound. Absorbable sutures are thus often preferred for internal wound stitches, and non-absorbable sutures are mostly used for external wounds. Absorbable sutures include polyglactin 910, polyglycolic acid sutures, polydioxanone sutures, and catgut, poliglecaprone 25.
Based on type, the global absorbable sutures market can be segmented into monofilament sutures and multifilament or braided sutures. Monofilament sutures have easy passage through the tissues, whereas multifilament sutures have stable knotting feature. In general, monofilament sutures produce less tissue reaction compared to multifilament sutures. Multifilament sutures are mostly braided and layered with various materials such as silicon, polycaprolactone, wax, calcium stearate, PTFE, etc.
In terms of raw material, the global absorbable sutures market can be categorized into natural and synthetic. Natural sutures include catgut and silk sutures. All other sutures falls under the synthetic type. Based on coating, the global absorbable sutures market can be divided into uncoated and coated sutures. Typically, braided sutures are coated and monofilament sutures are uncoated as braided sutures are easy to coat compared to monofilaments sutures. Coating materials include silicon, wax, gelatin, chromium salt, polycaprolactone, PTFE, and calcium stearate. Polymeric coating materials are more bio-compatible than conventional coating materials such as beeswax, gelatin, pafaffin, etc. New functional coatings such as antimicrobial or antibacterial coatings are now available and are used on both multifilament and monofilament sutures. Stem cell coating is also available, which improves healing properties. Coated sutures include catgut chromic, silk, PGA sutures, polyglactin 910 and polyester sutures, twisted nylon, polydioxanone, and poliglecaprone sutures. Uncoated sutures include monofilament nylon, monofilament polypropylene sutures, and PVDF. Based on application, the absorbable sutures market can be segmented into valve sutures, cardiovascular sutures, gynecology sutures, orthopedic sutures, dental sutures, sutures for cosmetic surgery, ophthalmic sutures, general sutures, etc. In terms of end-user, the absorbable sutures market can be classified into hospitals, ambulatory surgical centers, specialty clinics, dental clinics, and others.
Based on region, the absorbable sutures market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa. North America is anticipated to be a dominant region of the absorbable sutures market due to the rising number of surgeries, increasing incidence of cardiovascular diseases, and fast adoption of advanced technologies. Asia Pacific is anticipated to be a rapidly expanding region of the absorbable sutures market.
Key players operating in the global absorbable sutures market include B. Braun Melsungen AG, Ethicon, Inc., Medtronic Plc., DemeTech Corporation, Smith & Nephew Plc. Zimmer Biomet Holdings, Inc., Boston Scientific Corporation, LifeSciences Corporation, Teleflex Incorporated, Acelity L.P. Inc., and ConMed Corporation.
This intelligence report by TMR is the outcome of intense study and rigorous assessment of various dynamics shaping the growth of the market. TMR nurtures a close-knit team of analysts, strategists, and industry experts who offer clients tools, methodologies, and frameworks to make smarter decisions. Our objective, insights, and actionable analytics provide CXOs and executives to advance their mission-critical priorities with confidence.
The scrutiny of the various forces impacting the dynamics of the market, and key and associated industries, guides enterprises in understanding various consumer propositions. Our clients leverage these insights and perspectives to enhance customer experience in the fast-paced business environment.
All our insights and perspectives are broadly based on 4 Pillars or Stages: ASBC-S, which offer an elaborate and customizable framework for the success of an organization. The essence and the roles of these in organizational successes are highlighted below:
- Agenda for CXOs: TMR, through the study, sets the tone for agendas that are pertinent to CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and other CXO executives of businesses operating in the market. The perspectives help our clients to bridge the gap between agenda and action plan. TMR strives to offer guidance to CXOs to undertake mission-critical activities empowered by various business analysis tools, and boost the performance of the organizations. The perspectives guide you to decide on your own marketing mix that align well with the policies, visions, and mission.
- Strategic Frameworks: The study offers how organizations are setting both short-term and long-term strategic plans. Our team of experts collaborate and communicate with you to understand these to make your organizations sustainable and resilient during tough times. The insights help them decide sustainable competitive advantage for each business units.
- Benchmarking for Deciding Target Markets and Brand Positioning: The assessments in the study provides a scrutiny of marketing channels and marketing mix. Our various teams work synergistically with you to help identify your actual and potential direct, indirect, and budget competition areas. Additionally, the study helps you decide most effective budgets for various processes and promotional activities. Furthermore, the study guides you to set benchmarks for integrating people and processes with the 4Ps of marketing. Eventually, this will empower you to find out unique propositioning strategies and niches.
- Business Composability for Sustainability (C-S): Constant strategy planning for sustainability characterizing our C-S framework in the report has become more relevant than before in the face of disruptions caused by pandemics, recessions, boom and bust cycles, and changing geopolitical scenario. The TMR study offers a high level of customization to help you achieve business composability. Composable enterprises are increasingly gaining the attention of CXOs in order to help them combat market volatility. Our analysts and industry experts help you wade through such uncertainties and guide you to become a smart sustainable business in entirety.
The study presents scrutiny of region-specific consumer and technology trends, including the most recent industry dynamics. These broadly cover but not limited to
- North America, South America, and the Americas
- Asia Pacific and Japan
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
The study offers data-driven insights and guidance of several aspects. Some of the more notable questions are:
- What are the major recent trends that can influence the product life cycle and the RoI?
- Which regulatory trends shape corporate-level, business-level, and functional-level strategies?
- Which micromarketing initiatives of leading players will bring in investments?
- What can be the best framework and tools for PESTLE analysis?
- Which regions will witness rise in new opportunities?
- Which are the game-changing technologies being used to capture new revenue streams in the near future?
- Which operational and tactical frameworks are being adopted by various players in gaining customer loyalty?
- What is the current and expected intensity of competition the market in the near future?
Disclaimer: This market research study is an ongoing effort and extreme care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy at all stages. However, in the light of the rapidly evolving business dynamics, some region-specific or other segment-specific changes may take time to be part of the study.