Oligonucleotide Synthesis Market: Overview and Segmentation
Oligonucleotide synthesis is a procedure by which nucleic acid biomolecules with definite sequences are synthetically made. Oligonucleotide synthesis is required for various life sciences research projects, from simple molecular biology research to even broader areas such as plant and animal studies, drug development, medical diagnosis, agriculture and food industry.
The global oligonucleotide synthesis market is segmented on the basis of:
- End-users and
On the basis of product, the global oligonucleotide synthesis market is broadly classified into reagent, probe, equipment, primer and synthesized oligonucleotide. Among these segments, the synthesized oligonucleotide market segment is likely to register the highest growth rate during the forecast period, due to the increasing number of its applications in research, therapeutics and diagnostics; and increasing demand for custom oligos in these applications.
On the basis of end-users, the global oligonucleotide synthesis market is further segmented into pharmaceutical and biotech firms, academic research institutes, and diagnostic laboratory. Demand from diagnostic laboratories is likely to grow rapidly among the end user segments during the forecast period owing to the adoption of new techniques such as polymerase chain reaction, real time polymerase chain reaction, DNA microarrays and others.
On the basis of applications, the global oligonucleotide synthesis market is segmented into research, therapeutics, and diagnostics. Research applications are further segmented into sequencing, gene synthesis, polymerase chain reaction (PCR), real-time quantitative polymerase chain reaction (qPCR) and others. Therapeutics market is further segmented into antisense oligos, RNAi, and others.
Oligonucleotide Synthesis Market: Drivers
The global oligonucleotide synthesis market is driven by various factors which include:
- Budding applications in molecular diagnostics and synthetic biology
- Increasing research & development spending in biotech and pharmaceutical companies
- Developing significance of RNA-interference oligos in diagnostics and therapeutics
- Venture capital funding and government spending are additional key factors that will enhance the growth of this market. For example, the U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH) spends approximately USD1.5 billion annually to support their oligonucleotide-based applications including manual manipulation of DNA.
On the other hand, factors such as authoritarian barriers, downward pricing pressure of therapeutic oligos, may inhibit the growth of oligonucleotide synthesis market.
Oligonucleotide Synthesis Market: Region-wise Outlook
Geographically, the global oligonucleotide synthesis market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific (APAC) and Rest of the World. Asia-Pacific is hovering to grow rapidly due to increase in research and development activities, increasing R&D funding and rising accessibility of synthesized oligos in the region. Several major players are establishing their oligonucleotide manufacturing services in APAC to seize market opportunity in the region. For example, in July 2013, Integrated DNA Technologies, Inc. opened an oligonucleotide manufacturing unit in Singapore to provide oligonucleotide-based products to research companies in APAC, thereby establish its trail in the APAC market. Such expansion is further expected to drive growth in the APAC oligonucleotide synthesis market in the upcoming years.
Oligonucleotide Synthesis Market: Key Players
Some of the key global market participants present in the Oligonucleotide Synthesis Market are Qiagen, GE Healthcare, BioAutomation Corporation, Glen Research, Eurofins Genomics, Integrated DNA Technologies, Inc., Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc., Link Technologies, Ltd., Nitto Denko Avecia, Inc., TriLink Biotechnologies, Inc., Agilent Technologies, Inc., GenScript USA Inc., BioSearch Technologies, Inc., Eurogentec, Sigma-Aldrich Co. LLC, Gene Link, Inc., and GeneDesign, Inc. Competitiveness in the global oligonucleotide synthesis market has been growing continually and more and more companies have been moving into the niche Oligonucleotide market, resulting in price pressure Qiagen lately decided to trade off its nucleic acid synthesis unit because of these pricing pressures, but strategically retained its RNAi segment as this presented both high margin and high growth to the company.
The research report presents a comprehensive assessment of the market and contains thoughtful insights, facts, historical data, and statistically supported and industry-validated market data. It also contains projections using a suitable set of assumptions and methodologies. The research report provides analysis and information according to categories such as market segments, geographies, types and applications.
The report covers exhaustive analysis on:
- Market Segments
- Market Dynamics
- Market Size
- Supply & Demand
- Current Trends/Issues/Challenges
- Competition & Companies involved
- Value Chain
Regional analysis includes:
- North America
- Latin America
- Asia Pacific
- Western Europe
- Eastern Europe
- Middle East & Africa
The report is a compilation of first-hand information, qualitative and quantitative assessment by industry analysts, inputs from industry experts, and industry participants across the value chain. The report provides an in-depth analysis of parent market trends, macroeconomic indicators and governing factors, along with market attractiveness within the segments. The report also maps the qualitative impact of various market factors on market segments and various geographies.
- Detailed overview of parent market
- Changing market dynamics in the industry
- In-depth market segmentation
- Historical, current and projected market size in terms of volume and value
- Recent industry trends and developments
- Competitive landscape
- Strategies of key players and products offered
- Potential and niche segments, geographical regions exhibiting promising growth
- A neutral perspective on market performance
- Must-have information for market players to sustain and enhance their market footprint
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland, Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.