Methyl isobutyl ketone (MIBK) is a colorless organic compound naturally occurring in grapes, orange, and vinegar. MIBK can dissolve in water, alcohol, ether and benzene. There are two main methods of producing MIBK. One is through acetone condensation, which gives diacetone alcohol that dehydrates to give mesityl oxide, which is then hydrogenated to MIBK. MIBK is also produced from isopropanol, with diisobutyl ketone (DIBK) and acetone as co-products. The major application of this ketone is in the manufacture of lube oil additives, followed by its use in the extraction process of copper and other ores. It is widely used as an industrial solvent in paint, resin, varnishes, lacquers, in the extraction of rare metals, as a synthetic flavoring adjuvant, and as an alcohol denaturant. MIBK is approved by the FDA and can be used as an indirect food additive, and for adhesives, paperboards, and polymers. The major advantage of MIBK is its high solvency power, low viscosity, and prevention of gelling in vinyl resin-based coatings.
The MIBK market is primarily driven by the coating and rubber industry. MIBK is significantly affected by feedstock prices and natural gas prices. Owing to its tight supply and rise of acetone prices, the cost of MIBK is expected to increase in the next six years. Environmental regulations are inhibiting the growth of this market. Slowly bio-based MIBK is replacing synthetic MIBK, reducing hazardous emissions and carbon footprints.
China is the largest consumer of MIBK, especially in antiozonants application. MIBK consumption for antiozonants is forecast to grow at a double digit rate in the Asia-Pacific region. In this region both production and demand will continue to grow in next six years. Globally more than 60% of the total MIBK output is used as a solvent in various industrial processes. The growth of MIBK in solvent applications is expected to be relatively flat in many developed regions. The global MIBK market is witnessing sustainable growth. The U.S. and the Western European market is expected to show sluggish growth compared to Asia-Pacific.
Some of the leading players in the MIBK industry are Dow Chemicals, Zhejiang Ouhua Chemical Imp.&Exp. Co., Nanjing Jinlong Chemical Factory, and Suzhou Ruihong Electronic Chemicals Co.
This research report analyzes this market depending on its market segments, major geographies, and current market trends. Geographies analyzed under this research report include
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of the World
This report provides comprehensive analysis of
- Market growth drivers
- Factors limiting market growth
- Current market trends
- Market structure
- Market projections for upcoming years
This report is a complete study of current trends in the market, industry growth drivers, and restraints. It provides market projections for the coming years. It includes analysis of recent developments in technology, Porter’s five force model analysis and detailed profiles of top industry players. The report also includes a review of micro and macro factors essential for the existing market players and new entrants along with detailed value chain analysis.
Reasons for Buying this Report
- This report provides pin-point analysis for changing competitive dynamics
- It provides a forward looking perspective on different factors driving or restraining market growth
- It provides a technological growth map over time to understand the industry growth rate
- It provides a seven-year forecast assessed on the basis of how the market is predicted to grow
- It helps in understanding the key product segments and their future
- It provides pin point analysis of changing competition dynamics and keeps you ahead of competitors
- It helps in making informed business decisions by having complete insights of market and by making in-depth analysis of market segments
- It provides distinctive graphics and exemplified SWOT analysis of major market segments