- High prevalence of atrial fibrillation. According to the estimates of the U.S. CDC, the prevalence of atrial fibrillation was 2.66 million in 2010. Moreover, its prevalence is estimated to reach 12 million by 2050.
- The high atrial fibrillation prevalence coupled with the presence of high disposable incomes of patients, the presence of a robust reimbursement infrastructure and rising healthcare expenditure are some of the major factors driving the growth of North America atrial fibrillation market.
- Drugs are consumed more frequently by patients, sometimes simultaneously with non-pharmacological treatment procedures. For e.g. patients are advised to consume anti-coagulant drugs before an electric cardioversion and patients are administered with anti-coagulants post a catheter ablation procedure to reduce the risk of a stroke.
- Drugs are a cheaper alternative to expensive non-pharmacological procedures such as catheter ablation and surgeries. However, this fact is not applicable to all the patients as in most of the cases cardiologists recommend the most appropriate and therefore inevitable treatment procedures to patients suffering from atrial fibrillation.
Global Atrial Fibrillation Market: Overview
The global market for atrial fibrillation is highly influenced by the ever-rising base of the geriatric population across the world. Driven by the increasing patient pool suffering from atrial fibrillation, the market, which presented an opportunity worth US$6.1 bn in 2012, is likely to rise at a CAGR of 13.40% between 2013 and 2019 and increase to US$14.8 bn by 2019.
The favorable results of clinical trials of drugs and therapies intended for the treatment of atrial fibrillation are also expected to support the growth of this market significantly over the forthcoming years.
Global Atrial Fibrillation Market: Trends and Opportunities
One of the key trends, boosting the global market for atrial fibrillation is the rising prevalence of medical conditions, such as obesity and hypertension, across the world. Over the forthcoming years, the advent of innovative treatment procedures is likely to support this market significantly. However, the stringent regulations enforced by the U.S. FDA, CE, and THE European Medicines Agency regarding product approval may hamper the market to some extent in the near future.
The application of pharmacological treatment for atrial fibrillation is higher than the non-pharmacological treatment across the world and is expected to remain so in the years to come. The increasing usage of anti-arrhythmic and anti-coagulant drugs, owing to their efficiency and cost benefits they offer, is projected to propel the pharmacological treatment segment in the near future, leading to its dominance with a share of nearly 55% in the overall market by 2019.
In addition to this, the introduction of novel and advanced drugs, such as anti-coagulants rivaroxaban and dabigatran, is estimated to boost the global atrial fibrillation market substantially over the forecast period.
Global Atrial Fibrillation Market: Geographical Analysis
Geographically, the worldwide market for atrial fibrillation is broadly segmented into Asia Pacific, Europe, North America, and the Rest of the World. Of these, North America have emerged as the leading contributor to the global market. The soaring prevalence of atrial fibrillation in North America has been driving this regional market significantly and is projected to remain so over the forecast period, ensuring the dominance of the North America market for atrial fibrillation. Besides, the high disposable income of consumers in the region, together with the presence of a favorable reimbursement scenario, are also supporting the growth of this market considerably in North America.
Europe and Asia Pacific are also anticipated to report a substantial rise in their respective markets for atrial fibrillation. Asia Pacific, specifically, is likely to register high growth pace in the coming years, owing to the increasing number of people complaining atrial fibrillation in China and India. The swift economic developments and the introduction of novel reforms associated with healthcare are also projected to boost the market for atrial fibrillation in Asia Pacific.
Companies mentioned in the research report
Some of the key players operating in the global market for atrial fibrillation are Johnson and Johnson Ltd., St. Jude Medical Inc., Sanofi Aventis, Endoscopic Technologies Inc., CardioFocus Inc., Bristol-Myers Squibb Corp., Boston Scientific Corp., Boehringer Ingelheim GmbH, Biosense Webster Inc., and AtriCure Inc.
Key Segments of Global Atrial Fibrillation Market
By Treatment Types
- Pharmacological Treatment
- Anti-Arrhythmic Drugs
- Anti-Coagulant Drugs
- Non-Pharmacological Treatment
- Catheter Ablation
- Radiofrequency Based
- Cryoablation Based
- HIFU (High Intensity Focused Ultrasound) Based
- Microwave Based
- Laser Based
- Maze Surgery
- Electric Cardioversion
Major regions analyzed under this research report are:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of the World
This report gives you access to decisive data such as:
- Market growth drivers
- Factors limiting market growth
- Current market trends
- Market structure
- Market projections for the coming years
Key highlights of this report
- Overview of key market forces propelling and restraining market growth
- Up-to-date analyses of market trends and technological improvements
- Pin-point analyses of market competition dynamics to offer you a competitive edge
- An analysis of strategies of major competitors
- An array of graphics and SWOT analysis of major industry segments
- Detailed analyses of industry trends
- A well-defined technological growth map with an impact-analysis
- Offers a clear understanding of the competitive landscape and key product segments